• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Euro 2024 Thread

That's the team I would go with as well. As bad as he was against Slovakia, having Walker in at the RCB covering means we can play Alexander-Arnold in the right position. Foden has been really disappointing, drop him and it might give Bellingham more space. Toney gives us something extra in the box and should similarly mean they can't keep two men solely on Kane.

It's tough on Palmer because he's done well off the bench but I don't know how you get him into this shape without causing the same attacking issues we've had all tournament. You can't put him at RWB.

Oh for God's sake :D

How can you not see that's a problem. You've tried it and it doesn't work, they get in each other's way.

Would have been like Bobby Robson picking both John Barnes and Chris Waddle and playing them both on the left wing at the same time.

Maybe they’ll get a bit more out of each others way in this formation? My worry is Kane will want to drop in there as well so who’s running beyond? Will be the same issue we’ve had all tournament

Oh for God's sake :D

How can you not see that's a problem. You've tried it and it doesn't work, they get in each other's way.

Would have been like Bobby Robson picking both John Barnes and Chris Waddle and playing them both on the left wing at the same time.
In the same way that I never thought Lampard and Gerrard together in midfield really worked either.

At least he's finally changing things around and trying to maximise the players we have.

It's tough on Palmer because he's done well off the bench but I don't know how you get him into this shape without causing the same attacking issues we've had all tournament. You can't put him at RWB.

You could only play him as the #10 so he's either instead of Bellingham or Mainoo with the former dropping deeper if you choose to ditch the latter.

I'm not against the change tbh, if it's trent behind foden and saka behind jude
God no. Trent in midfield is not an option.

It will be Mainoo but it should be Wharton as Mainoo, Bellingham and Foden all like to run with the ball and commit players. Rice is box to box and we've only really got Wharton who has any real vision.

Trent has to play RWB and sling crosses in for Kane/ Toney and Saka to do the same on the other side

Foden and Bellingham can work if Foden is played in the right sided 10 slot.

It's how Alonso set up Leverkusen.

I can't see Southgate having the same attacking mentality though so it will be 11 in our half defending.

Last edited:
By 'behind foden' I meant as rwb, with foden as a right sided ten, and saka 'behind' Bellingham at lwb

1720170064339.png

partridge-i-dont-know.gif

Last edited:
Bellingham fined 25k for the gesture in his celebration. 1 game ban but that has been suspended (unlike Jude)

Back