• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Euro 2024 Thread

Oh and the Netherlands haven’t suddenly become Brazil 1970 after last night which certain broadcasters and ex pros seem to think.

I can sort of see the Grealish argument. Currently the only real left sided attacking option is Gordon and he's more of a straight up winger than an attacking forward.

We don't have anyone like Saka on that side who can cut inside and try to play around their defence. We've tried and failed that with Foden so another option would have been nice.

Grealish at his best would have been very useful to have, Grealish in "receive the ball, fanny around with it for 5-10 seconds, pass it backwards five yards to the left back" mode, not really, and he's been like that for ages now.

Sometimes England managers just lose the plot. He’s gone against a lot of the good work he’d done in the 5/6 years leading up to this. A shame.
I think you're generally right. But the final conclusion can only really be given once we see how far we get.

I think you're generally right. But the final conclusion can only really be given once we see how far we get.
I suppose! I’ll be stunned if we win it though with the performances so far! In fact, I’ll be impressed if we even pull ourselves together properly this Saturday!

Alternatively we "just" have to beat Switzerland and one of Holland and Turkey and we're in another final....

Alternatively we "just" have to beat Switzerland and one of Holland and Turkey and we're in another final....
I know, it’s crazy. But also, that’s how dreadful we’ve been that I don’t think we will be.

Hopefully this week has given him the time to rethink how he’s approaching this

We have the better players, Switzerland are the better team. We'd need to seriously improve our performance or rely on a lot of luck to win. Goldbridge says we are playing a back 3, but he often makes shit up for clicks

I'd have Rodriguez (past his best but a left footed LB/LWB...imagine), Xhaka and Akanji in our XI.

We have the better players, Switzerland are the better team. We'd need to seriously improve our performance or rely on a lot of luck to win. Goldbridge says we are playing a back 3, but he often makes shit up for clicks
If you watch that link I posted yesterday, we clearly effectively played 3 atb for most of the Slovakia game, so I wouldn't be surprised.

However it'd be quite a change for Southgate to make such a significant change to start.

I’d go with a back three with Trent and Saka at wing back, and two defensive midfielders. Give us better balance than we’ve had all tournament without leaving ourselves over exposed with Southgate would worry about.

That said if we did go back 3 i would still worry he’d play konsa wing back or something silly

Reactions: jlo
He basically took Gordon instead of Grealish and hasn’t used him anyway so it’s a moot point really, he wouldn’t have got on the pitch
Different players though. He's more likely to bring Grealish on for Foden as they are similar style players for that role.

Potentially yeah but he also was pretty sparing with how he used him in previous tournaments when he was playing much better and there was a big clamour for him to be starting games.

It’s not a nice feeling sat knowing it’s probably going to be all over Saturday but the hope is a killer.
If this was a PL game it would be like Palace playing Chelsea one has better players the other is far better coached.
Just don’t see how we can resolve this in 6 days.

Interesting that.
A leader to organise/orchestrate things behind Foden, Bellingham, Mainoo, Saka etc. Don't think we have one.
Kane is of no benefit as an onfield captain, playing in his position.
Rice or Stones maybe? Not sure either of them is captain material either.
Too late now anyway.

Three at the back is all the talk. If nothing else it matches us up directly against the Swiss.

Pickford

Walker
Stones
Konsa

TAA
Rice
Mainoo
Saka

Bellingham

Kane
Toney

Would be my choice if we go that way. Playing both Bellingham and Foden isn't working whatever we do, they keep occupying the same space.

Back