• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Cricket Thread

Only two non-Asian players have ever won more Test matches in Asia than Jack Leach.

Shane Warne (13) and Joe Root (12).

He's level on 11 with Matthew Hayden, Adam Gilchrist and Ricky Ponting and now ahead of James Anderson, Mark Boucher and Justin Langer who had 10.

He also has a markedly better bowling average in India than Shane Warne (20 wickets @ 30.65 vs 34 wickets @ 43.11).

Leach is now on 133 wickets and has recently gone past:

Dominic Cork
Devon Malcolm
Steven Finn
Phil Edmonds

Every chance he can catch the following on this tour:

John "Tory Bastard" Emburey (147)
Hedley Verity (144)
Chris Old (143)
Ashley Giles (143)
Tony Greig (141)
Phil DeFreitas (140)
Graham Dilley (138)

The only spinners ahead of him are:

Derek Underwood (297)
Graeme Swann (255)
Moeen Ali (204)
Jim Laker (193)
Tony Lock (174)
Monty Panesar (167)
Fred Titmus (153)
Bastard Emburey (147)
Ashley Giles (143)

(Greig bowled a bit of spin but was mainly a seamer)

If he plays enough on Asian tours then he could well go top five. I don't think we'll take him to Australia or pick him very much at home.

He's played 14 Tests in Asia. Giles played 15.
-
If it were that easy, etc etc

He's played 14 Tests in Asia. Giles played 15.
-
If it were that easy, etc etc
Unless you are looking at averages then you can't compare England players against either previous generations or their contemporaries from other nations. Runs, wickets and wins don't tell a story when we play 50% more games than anyone else.

These Root stats demonstrate that. It's his 58 average which sets him apart, not the runs which don't show a true picture

Last edited:
You can apply qualifiers to any stats.

Like Sehwag averaged 27 in England, 25 in South Africa and 20 in New Zealand. I wouldn't say that diminishes what he did elsewhere.

Root is on target to overtake Dravid Ponting and Tendulkar from fewer matches than each at the end of their careers. Only Kallis would be a bit different.

So it means they all had longer careers in terms of time, not matches or innings.

It was being suggested on comms during the first test that they should do it

Babar Azam, Abrar Ahmed, Naseem Shah and Shaheen Shah Afridi all dropped for Pakistan

Bit harsh on Naseem and Shaheen. Thought they both bowled sort of okay.

Babar can have no complaints. His form has utterly disintegrated.

Stokes and Potts in for Woakes and Atkinson.

Pakistan have picked three spinners and just one seamer in Jamal, so I wouldn't think Stokes will be called upon to bowl that much. Need a better showing from Bashir.

I don't think they believe there is a decision to be made, not when Stokes is fit to play a full role.

You are probably correct, but I think Stokes needs to be the 6th bowler these days, at least at home when we are only playing 1 spinner. Not talent wise obviously, just maintenance.

Back