• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Chasing Pack - GAME OVER AMIGOS

Villa and Cardiff were fucking Shit awful football it was like watching non league, lets just kick it as long and far as we can.
If my maths are correct we need 5 points for Promotion and 6 for the title ?

8 Points clear of Fulham who are on 81 with 4 games left to play - max they can get is 93
9 Points clear of Cardiff who are on 80 with 5 left to play - Max they can get is 95
we are on 89 with 5 to play.

Win tonight gives us 92, our GD is 7 better than Fulham, so a point against Blues would put us almost there, they would need to increase there GD by 7 over their remaining 4 game for us to lose out on GD.

If Cardiff win on Saturday, we can't win the title on Sunday. If we win tonight and they drop points on Saturday, a win v Blues wins promotion and the title.

I know Cardiff have a game in hand on Fulham, but I just can't see Fulham dropping out of the top 2 now. The run that they've been on since the middle of December is outrageous and they deserve to go up. Fair play to them.

If Wolves & Fulham are the two teams to finish in the automatic positions, that's going to upset quite a few people. Foreign Managers playing an attractive brand of football... I thought it was only the likes of Pulis, Bruce & Warnock with their "Championship experience" that were allowed to be successful at this level?

Agreed - Cardiff have to keep Fulham within arms reach until their game in hand and the pressure is on them having been in the top 2 for so long. Warnock keeps saying the pressure is off them - bollocks is it. And he knows it - sure, they weren't expecting to be up there and they've had an incredible season to be where they are, but it's not all about budgets and pre-season expectation. Not when you've been in the automatic promotion places for the majority of the season. Their fans aren't going to think 'ah well, 3rd place and a play off place is absolutely fine because we didn't expect to be here 9 months ago' are they?

If Villa win on Friday (and they should, Leeds are shit - but this is Villa we're talking about...), it puts pressure on both Cardiff and Fulham, and Fulham have a tricky fixture at home to in-form Brentford on Saturday.

Saturday morning could look like this:

2. Fulham 81 points
-------------------------
3. Cardiff 80 points
4. Villa 79 points

I'd love it to go to the final game with Bruce and Warnock looking decidedly sick by the end of the day...

Watched the Villa v Cardiff game last night .

How the f**k did we lose to those 2 teams ?????

When you watch a game like last night, it makes you realise just how good Wolves are, and why we absolutely deserve to be champions. Even if Wolves and Fulham do go up, then next year we'll still have the same old bollocks. "Long season, need experience, managers who've done it before, British players, get it forward, Mick McCarthy, proven track record..."

Villa are the ones who have completely thrown the opportunity away.

You'd think their win over us would have really driven them on towards fighting for an automatic spot, they bottled it with some truly woeful subsequent performances since and now Cardiff have slipped up, it is still out of their hands. I'd be livid if I was a Villa fan.

When you watch a game like last night, it makes you realise just how good Wolves are, and why we absolutely deserve to be champions. Even if Wolves and Fulham do go up, then next year we'll still have the same old bollocks. "Long season, need experience, managers who've done it before, British players, get it forward, Mick McCarthy, proven track record..."

Completely agree with that first sentence, but I think if we (and Fulham) both do it, we might see a shift in attitude.

'Doing a Wolves' might actually have a positive connotation for a change! I've mentioned the charity do I attended with Bully and Don Goodman before, but Goodman really did doubt it'd be successful, and said it's very hard for such a fresh approach with inexperience to work in this league (though I hasten to add that he REALLY wanted to be proven wrong about that - I read online that Goodman seems to hate Wolves which is clearly bullshit). Nuno and Wolves have shown that it CAN be done, and we should be the blueprint for clubs looking to follow our success.

And it's not just about having the 'Mendes connection' either, because the majority of our squad (Neves, Jota, Boly apart admittedly) would have been attainable for plenty of Championship sides, who instead spaffed their dough on 'proven Championship experience'.

It'll be a lot better for football and the Championship in general if more teams adopted our approach, we'd see far more entertaining games too and hopefully less of the standard on offer last night which at time was fucking gash. Those long throws down the line :icon_lol:

I read online that Goodman seems to hate Wolves which is clearly bullshit

He got a lot of stick for saying "we" when talking about Wolves earlier in the season, so hardly hates us. I think he has had to take a step back on the praise for us so he can come across as objective and maybe he now looks for little things to moan about.

Other fans moan about how biased he is towards Wolves when he's on Sky.

Is it still the case that Villa are in serious FFP trouble if they don't go up this year?

No, never was the case, not being promoted won't make them break FFP this season. What they will have to do is cut their cloth and not be able to sign high wage loan / free players like Snodgrass and Terry next year

On FFP, is it right that our max permitted wage bill will be lower than some others' in the PL next year, and is that likely to affect who we can sign?

Lge |-----Club-----|- Games -|-Max-pts -|--Pts--|
Pos |----Name-----|Remain--|-available-|-won--|
-----------------------------------------------------
-01-|---Wolves----|----5-----|----104----|--89--|
-02-|---Fulham---|----4-----|-----93-----|--81--|
-03-|---Cardiff----|----5-----|-----95-----|--80--|
-04-|---Villa-------|----4-----|-----88-----|--76--|
-05-|---Derby-----|----6-----|-----86-----|--68--|
-06-|---Millwall----|----4-----|-----80-----|--68--|

As it stands we need 5pts for promotion and 7pts for the title

On FFP, is it right that our max permitted wage bill will be lower than some others' in the PL next year, and is that likely to affect who we can sign?
Ultimately FFP is based on losses vs. revenue, so indirectly yes over a rolling 3 Year spell vs the Top 6

There is no 'proper' cap.

Your wage bill can rise to £67m and an additional £7m p/a thereafter. If it increases by more than £7m p/a once you've hit the £67m 'limit', that increase has to be funded by an increase in commercial revenue.

So if Cardiff don't win on Saturday and were beat derby and blues we're champions.....?

Even if they win we will be Champions unless the can overturn a 11+ goal difference in 4 games.

There is no 'proper' cap.

Your wage bill can rise to £67m and an additional £7m p/a thereafter. If it increases by more than £7m p/a once you've hit the £67m 'limit', that increase has to be funded by an increase in commercial revenue.

Given that only 6 clubs in the PL were below that this year, that seems like quite a restriction, unless we can bump up the commercial element. Might we be able to do that? What sort of things does it include?

Even if they win we will be Champions unless the can overturn a 11+ goal difference in 4 games.

Splitting hairs a bit here, but if we lose all 4 games and they win all 4 games, chances are that the swing would mean the goal difference would be very similar.

Not that it'll matter because it's when, not if we win it.

Back