• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Chasing Pack - GAME OVER AMIGOS

They do, they have a small overdraft because of shite spending this year, but they will get massive parachute payments in the summer. In terms of championship they will still have a decent budget, and they will get a little cash in for Evans and Rondon leaving.

They have no money

They have money. Just wasted a crap load last summer.

They will shed a few players and 1 loan player going will release £100k a week from the wage bill. Plus they have parachute money, which will be a stupid amount for 2 seasons

Deoenss on salries of the likes of Rondon, Rodrigues etc. Would they gave relegation clauses written in.
It will be interesting to see what they spend

re WBA
Parachute payments are the owners chance to get some of his money back, they are actively looking for investment so I would guess that the manager whoever that is is gonna charged with giving it a shot on a shoestring budget.

Deoenss on salries of the likes of Rondon, Rodrigues etc. Would they gave relegation clauses written in.

Not sure what the first part says... I doubt they will have relegation clauses on recent signings as they would have been aiming for Top 10 and not looking at the bottom 3 and attracting players by saying "and if we go down, we take 20% off you" won't work.

Their spending for next season will come from player sales and parachute payment. They won't want to hang around for more than 1 season so will try and copy Newcastle's tactic when they went down

Yes - virtually every West Brom player has a relegation wage reduction clause in their contract. Plus they won't be spunking £200k a week on Sturridge and Krychowiak

Think we were Villa’s Everest and everything since then has anticlimactic for them since that game we’ve picked 13 points from 15 they’ve picked up 4.
Even if Fulham won every game I still don’t think we’d need 5 points.

Yes - virtually every West Brom player has a relegation wage reduction clause in their contract. Plus they won't be spunking £200k a week on Sturridge and Krychowiak

It will be interesting. Not sure on relegation clauses. One thing they have always done is bounce back but that was when the club was well run.

As i said it will be interesting seeing how they approach next season and how we do.

They're probably looking at around £55m in terms of parachute money for 2018/19. It certainly softens the blow. But equally you're going overnight from around £100m p/a in terms of TV income to around £6m p/a...

If you're still servicing a high wage bill - they will lose players, and obviously ridding themselves of costly loan burdens like Sturridge and Krychowiak will help, but they'll also be stuck with rubbish they can't get rid of - and don't have much by way of income from player sales (which they won't, as the squad is old, they've won 3 out of 42 league games and one of their key assets is going for £3m), you find yourself in a bit of a pickle if the owner isn't willing to fund the shortfall himself (which to his credit and for all his faults, Ashley has done at Newcastle when they've gone down in the past - albeit it was largely his fault in the first place). Lai doesn't seem able and/or willing to do that.

It will be interesting. Not sure on relegation clauses. One thing they have always done is bounce back but that was when the club was well run.

As i said it will be interesting seeing how they approach next season and how we do.

They have got rid of the people they blame and got the man who implemented the actions of Peace back so they will go back to being prudent and well run

I don't think they are bouncing back this time. They are going down as much more of a basket-case. It won't be as bad as we were, or Sunderland are now, but any thoughts of just turning up and coasting to top two are just fantasy.

Did someone mention West Brom?

This is a long shot but should we get promoted against Blues, it's feasible that their relegation is confirmed on the same day. They would have to lose at Old Trafford (likely) and Swansea, Palace and Huddersfield all win their home games next weekend (not as likely). Southampton's two games in hand could also play a part but my hangover won't let me go that far.

Christ, I love this season.

Edit: Just noticed Wet Spam are still on 33 too so even less likely. They do have two games in hand though.

What they had before was a solid core of players who you knew you could trust to do a good job in the second tier. Inter alia you're looking at Moore, Johnson, Sigurdsson, Koumas, Greening, Robinson, Horsfield etc etc etc.

They don't have that now. The squad is ancient, so many players on their last legs. All of Foster, Nyom, Yacob, Evans, Morrison, Brunt, Myhill, Gabr, Barry and McAuley are either in their 30s or turn 30 this year.

Of course if you will hand all responsibility for first team transfers to Tony Pulis, this is what you get.

Newcastle went down when they shouldn’t have player quality wise, not really the same with Albion. Plus Newcastle bought in like £80m in player sales and then spent £50m. How are Albion going to raise funds? Chadli £10-15m (although he’s barely played...), Evans £3m, Gibbs £5-10m, Dawson £10m, Rondon? J-Rod? But if they sold all those they’d literally have nothing left!

It sounds from westbrom.com like rondon may have an £8m release clause. That is bad news. With the ridiculous Evans clause they are blowing a lot of transfer incoming budget with those two. Could have probably trebled the £11m they will get in.

Think we were Villa’s Everest and everything since then has anticlimactic for them since that game we’ve picked 13 points from 15 they’ve picked up 4.
Even if Fulham won every game I still don’t think we’d need 5 points.

Yes we would.

If Fulham won every game they would get 93pts, as shown in my table in The Magic Number thread, so we need 5 pts to get 94pts.

But that is assuming that Cardiff keep going and win loads as well. I suspect that the wheels may come off the Warnock wagon. Then we might only need 3 or 4.

Personally I think we are going to get the full fifteen and finish on 104.

It sounds from westbrom.com like rondon may have an £8m release clause. That is bad news. With the ridiculous Evans clause they are blowing a lot of transfer incoming budget with those two. Could have probably trebled the £11m they will get in.

Ouch, comparing that to Jarvis and Fletcher.

It shows how much these players needed talking into signing for them with such low release fees.

Back