• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Car Thread

Yeah some of those newfangled features are quite nice (Subaru’s application of speed-matching on cruise control is very good for example), but the whole “we can actually smash on the brakes for you” has always seemed like a step too far.

Glad everyone was okay, Carrot! Must have been a hell of a scare in the moment.
It's generally shite on Tesla too. Owners forums call it Phantom Braking.

We’re in the transitional stage to driverless so the ability to disable those systems is only going to be temporary.

Unless I’m mistaken 2024 is the year those annoying bongs that sound when you exceed the speed limit can’t be turned off.

Plenty of YouTube vids of people driving along with the things going off when the gps is assuming a limit different to the actual. I think that would send anyone loopy.

I know a lot of the Ulez people were banging on about where we’re heading and typically ‘loss of control’, but it does look like we’re hurtling pretty quickly to a different sort of driving altogether.

Don’t suppose it matters if you view cars as just a means of transport with control removed and the ability to sit and read a book as per a bus, plane or train, but if you like the autonomy and independence the best days are certainly behind us.

Seems a pretty easy solution to stop a car that bongs when you exceed the speed limit.

The speed limit bongs give me something to use my sarcastic voice at when driving alone.

Seems a pretty easy solution to stop a car that bongs when you exceed the speed limit.

I’m assuming you’d be happy with legislation that stopped your car exceeding the speed limit or perhaps automatically deducted money from your bank account if you did?

Not trying to pick a fight Mark and I’m trying to avoid going all ‘20 minute cities’ and conspiracy theories, but it seems pretty inevitable to some extent this is where we’re heading and probably sooner rather than later.

Just curious where people think this is going and if we’re entirely comfortable with whatever ‘it’ may be.

I’m assuming you’d be happy with legislation that stopped your car exceeding the speed limit or perhaps automatically deducted money from your bank account if you did?

Not trying to pick a fight Mark and I’m trying to avoid going all ‘20 minute cities’ and conspiracy theories, but it seems pretty inevitable to some extent this is where we’re heading and probably sooner rather than later.

Just curious where people think this is going and if we’re entirely comfortable with whatever ‘it’ may be.

Having already had money from my account on multiple occasions due to excessive speed I have now learned my lesson in that respect. The rules are there for a reason and if you don't want to follow them you have to accept the punishments that may follow, it's not like they've suddenly strangled speed limits and forced you to drive any differently that you already should've been.

Even if you decide you're above the rules and want to carry on speeding seems churlish to criticize the car for reminding you of that, maybe those users should either check their behaviour or research their purchases better to avoid the conflict.

There’s certainly some discussion amongst ‘users’ as to where the technology is going and where you sit with it.

I think if we’re happy to hand ourselves over completely to restrictions and controls in the interests of safety and the environment and have implicit trust in those deciding those parameters at the same time then there’s really no issue at all.

Only the individual can work out where they sit with that, but I suspect those who view a car more as a transportation box-on-wheels will feel more comfortable about it that those who enjoy cars and driving.

It’s going to be a pretty sterile driving experience going forward and I think it’s understandable there’s a little sadness about that.

Free tip,
Never leave it on a supermarket car park

The front wheels might be protruding from the arches and the tyres look semi-slicks, that’s a full-on handling set-up, bloody awesome. Just about road legal but set up like that with its light weight too must be an absolute hoot to drive.

Funnily enough was lucky enough to have a blast in a couple of old-skool 2 seater’s recently and it was a joy reconnecting with motoring again. Lightweight, short wheelbase, manual, front engine rear drive, bingo. Does seem to be something more people are craving as cars become heavier, more refined and less visceral in general. EV as a daily and some fun at the weekends seems to be the way to go. Quite a few people doing that and find myself being pulled more in that direction every day.

I think about this a lot.

How many places can you really drive a car like that?
Probably nowhere, maybe Wimbledon, the Henley Regatta, Glyndebourne, places like that.

There’s a slip road close to where I live in Castlecroft, I noticed the other day a double Electric Car charger has been installed, first time I’ve seen anything like that.

Back