• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The 2024 Paris Olympics Thread

It doesn't really bother me that it's in, it's pretty athletic. It's just one of many Olympic sports that I've no interest in, mainly the sports where the winner is decided by an opinion of a judge.

It doesn't really bother me that it's in, it's pretty athletic. It's just one of many Olympic sports that I've no interest in, mainly the sports where the winner is decided by an opinion of a judge.
It's no table tennis!

And if the gripe is that it's a competition decided by judges and results are somewhat subjective, then there is a whole list of sports that are decided by judges, including boxing, judo, fencing, wrestling etc etc.

And if the gripe is that it's a competition decided by judges and results are somewhat subjective, then there is a whole list of sports that are decided by judges, including boxing, judo, fencing, wrestling etc etc.
I can at least get on board with the subjectivity being a bugbear for folks. It's when we start trying to define what is and isn't an "Olympic sport" that I think a tin of worms gets opened.

I can at least get on board with the subjectivity being a bugbear for folks. It's when we start trying to define what is and isn't an "Olympic sport" that I think a can of worms gets opened.
Just saying, Al... 😜

It always amazes me that Squash isn't an Olympic sport, not sure it ever has been?
I'm waiting for Tug o War to make a comeback.
To come into consideration as an olympic sport
Have to take place in 75 countries on 4 continents for men & 40 countries on 3 continents for Women, presume it hasn't met that criteria.
Suppose plenty of countries with no squash courts.

Nah not interested in any of them.
Isn't fencing decided by points scoring from the sword on certain parts of the body?
Not been interested in boxing for years. Judo and Wrestling is just organised 'legging over' isnt it?

Have to take place in 75 countries on 4 continents for men & 40 countries on 3 continents for Women, presume it hasn't met that criteria.
I had no idea about this, good info.

Didn't know that, surprised things like horse dancing (or whatever its called) fall into those categories.

Been cheering on the underdogs in the 7's so far.

Samoa lost to the Aussies
Kenya lost to the Argies
USA v France next

Morocco beating Argentina in the football, 10 minutes plus stoppages to go.

Incidentally when NZ get round to playing in the football, their coach is Darren Bazeley.

Ha - the French crowd are booing as the USA draw 12-12 with them.

France won't win gold in this.

Argentina equalise - in the 15th minute of injury time!

+25 minutes of injury time and still not finished - What happened?

Back