• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The 2024 Paris Olympics Thread

Yeah it was like a 300km bike ride I was on about but thankfully they only showed it for about ten minutes, and 7 of them was just drone footage of a palace and its gardens.

Horse dancing at least has novelty factor, it's not something you see every day. Neither has place in the Olympics though tbf. Hobbies for bellends rather than sports.

You try making a horse dance!!

Reactions: jlo
As a huge fan of road cycling who stays up most of the night here to watch tour de france, giro, vuelta, etc, I feel like I should get properly huffy about this. Then I remembered, this was Del at work, so I didn't.

Yeah it was like a 300km bike ride I was on about but thankfully they only showed it for about ten minutes, and 7 of them was just drone footage of a palace and its gardens.

Horse dancing at least has novelty factor, it's not something you see every day. Neither has place in the Olympics though tbf. Hobbies for bellends rather than sports.
Unchained on Netflix is well worth watching even if you're not a cycling fan.

I love cycling and have had a somewhat vested interest, but you can’t deny that a one day road race can be frankly dull viewing when the set up doesn’t work out. Also it’s one of those events that can produce an Olympic champion who simply isn’t the best at road racing a bicycle, and that’s an issue if you’re bothered by such things .

I love cycling and have had a somewhat vested interest, but you can’t deny that a one day road race can be frankly dull viewing when the set up doesn’t work out. Also it’s one of those events that can produce an Olympic champion who simply isn’t the best at road racing a bicycle, and that’s an issue if you’re bothered by such things .
True, it should be a team event.

The big problem with the Olympic road race is what do the organisers want? Mass sprint finish could look spectacular for the last twenty seconds, and must have been tempting with the hallowed ground of Champs Elysses available. Chuck a load of climbs in and you aren't that near Paris if you want to finish in the Olympic City - Massif Central is probably the nearest properly hilly stuff to Paris. But then you have the main jeopardy of the race potentially decided on a climb many ks from the finish. You simply can't get a mountain top finish in Paris, so that isn't happening either. So you try and set it up like a one-day classic, hence the route usually being 200k plus, which should see the better cyclists coming to the fore, but doesn't necessarily make for the greatest stage in terms of excitement.

The problem was the same in London. Rio had an interesting route, but that part of Brazil has plenty of up and down roads.

The big problem with the Olympic road race is what do the organisers want? Mass sprint finish could look spectacular for the last twenty seconds, and must have been tempting with the hallowed ground of Champs Elysses available. Chuck a load of climbs in and you aren't that near Paris if you want to finish in the Olympic City - Massif Central is probably the nearest properly hilly stuff to Paris. But then you have the main jeopardy of the race potentially decided on a climb many ks from the finish. You simply can't get a mountain top finish in Paris, so that isn't happening either. So you try and set it up like a one-day classic, hence the route usually being 200k plus, which should see the better cyclists coming to the fore, but doesn't necessarily make for the greatest stage in terms of excitement.

The problem was the same in London. Rio had an interesting route, but that part of Brazil has plenty of up and down roads.
It should be a classic route, Paris Roubaix should've been the route for at least part of it.

270km is stupidly long and for no reason.

Last edited:
Don't think I've watched sail boarding before, didn't realise the actual board hardly touches the water, just the fin. Looks great fun.

A medal a day for us since Monday , good chance of winning another gold tomorrow as well .
A very good Olympics so far for us with a number of top 10 finishes in addition to the medals thus far .

Can’t help but think Big George could have been some shot putter. Or, easy to imagine him fitting in with them maybe!

Back