• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The 2015/2016 Summer Improvement Thread

Ah Mark...Just got onto my laptop and your pic has finally shown up. I was confused at first... The only reason I've not written Rowe off is because I've only seen him "play" twice. He was abysmal as a left back first time and I have no recollection of the second time

I think its difficult to assess Rowe, like Saville, he's had hardly any game time and when they did play, the rest of the team were playing poorly.

Gray would complement our other forwards very well, but no way we would pay the 3-4m he'd go for

We were linked with Gray when he was at Luton. He'd be a quality addition for us but you've got to question the amount of money we've wasted by waiting a season on Gray & Coady. We could've had both for under £1M a year ago!

We were linked with Gray when he was at Luton. He'd be a quality addition for us but you've got to question the amount of money we've wasted by waiting a season on Gray & Coady. We could've had both for under £1M a year ago!

You just know that would have been met with 'why are we signing cheap players from the lower leagues, we need quality and experience. Push the boat out'

Based purely on a picture of him, he looks like Craig Davies, so it's a no from me.

Have to push the boat out a fair way to compete with Middlesbrough today - Downing and Stuani for around £8m combined

I wouldn't consider us poor relations, but it feels like everyone else in the league has discovered a real life version of the Premier Manager 93 Money cheat at the moment...

The Downing deal is obscene. I wouldn't want us to be spunking £5-7m and what will no doubt be big wages on a soon to be 31 year old for the next five years.

The Downing deal is obscene. I wouldn't want us to be spunking £5-7m and what will no doubt be big wages on a soon to be 31 year old for the next five years.

It is obscene but it shows intent that they don't want to be in this league next year. Downing is still too good for this league on his performances over the last 2 years and no i wouldn't want us putting that money down for anyone in this league i don't think i am a bit worried right now with our transfer dealings and would hope to see something pretty soon.

I rate Downing a lot, he rarely get a bad game from what i have seen..and much involved in the creative stuff..very good signing for a champ club imo

And I'm not for one minute suggesting we don't need to improve the squad. Moxey in his own words stated that Sako will have to be replaced. If he doesn't do so, then I'll have a reason for concern.

I'm not however going to throw a wobbly when there's a month and a half left of the transfer window. Yes, in an ideal world you wrap up all your signings early, but that is never the reality.

We could afford him, but I agree we wouldn't choose to. I meant on an emotional scale, I have no doubt he could have signed for 6/7 Premier Leagues teams should he wish to who probably would have paid him a similar amount to Boro, he's took the drop because it's where he grew up and clearly wants to go back there

Gate receipts are chickenfeed once you're in the top flight (which makes milking fans with higher ticket prices a complete nonsense).

As for parachute payments, all of the following are currently in receipt of at least double what we have been getting since we went back up to the Championship: Burnley, Fulham, Hull, QPR, Cardiff. Blackburn and Bolton are receiving the same amount and Reading are getting slightly more. It isn't that much of a factor - indeed the two big spenders so far this summer (Middlesbrough and Derby) are being backed exclusively by their owners. Now Morgan, initial investment aside, is not about to do that, you can agree or disagree with that stance but it is what it is.

I don't think you can overstate the damage Solbakken's spending did, over £10m spent and only Sako produced any kind of return. That was the point at which we were at a significant financial advantage relative to the rest of the Championship, parachute payments in full, no legacy debts from the top flight, wage bill largely under control and money in the bank from selling Fletcher/Jarvis and we fucked it up.

Oh and I, like Alan, periodically rate shit American players and TWF still embraces me. Thanks, guys!

Now can we talk about how my stateside team beat the brakes off those Tesco fucks tonight?

Some nice goals there.

Got quite excited when I saw thread had suddenly added two pages. Thought there might have been some 'summer improvement.' Silly me...

Ditto. Hopefully we can get back to the football now.

Anyway...

If we were to bid for Andre Gray, how much would we have to pay for him? £4M? More?

Would you guys offer Sako what Middlesbrough have offered Downing?

Not for me, I don't think it's healthy for one player to be earning over treble what anyone else is.

Back