• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The 2015/2016 Summer Improvement Thread

What's this nonsense about Dave Edwards being the heir of Sako? PR own goal there, Kenny...

The article that's lifted from doesn't exactly say that. Our goals tally from midfield last season - Sako aside - was pretty awful. More of a case of KJ saying there should be goals in that midfield. It doesn't say Edwards is going to be shoe-horned onto the left wing.

DW said on the other thread that with the likes of Wallace being brought in, Edwards' time here really should be coming to an end and I agree with him.

We do need to bring in another left winger though - I don't think we can replace Sako's quality (certainly not easily) but we do need a proper replacement for him who can make that position his own rather than making do with what we already have. Which isn't enough IMO.

On the count of Sako I will liken it to last season when Bournemouth lost Grabban, they acted swiftly and brought in Wilson. I feel we can't replace Sako but we can bring in a different proposition on the left and I'd say replacing Sako will be pivotal to the overall season. I don't think you'll ever see a team replace a talisman from within and have anywhere near the same success unless you have a Robbie Keane style break out and it's naive to rely on an academy that has produced more Proudlocks than Lescotts (as most do)

I think that's a fair shout Langers. I think almost all fans will be disappointed and some will vent their spleens at the games if Sako is not replaced.

Given the questionable player recruitment so far over the last year I wonder if the club is going through a recruitment staff restructure and the Sako replacement may be lost in this.

To lose Webber and not have somebody lined up to replace within weeks and likewise with Sako smacks of a failed strategy in the infrastructure somewhere. You'd hope they can fix this quickly as I don't think the fans will see it the same way come the start of the season.

I think that's a fair shout Langers. I think almost all fans will be disappointed and some will vent their spleens at the games if Sako is not replaced.

Given the questionable player recruitment so far over the last year I wonder if the club is going through a recruitment staff restructure and the Sako replacement may be lost in this.

To lose Webber and not have somebody lined up to replace within weeks and likewise with Sako smacks of a failed strategy in the infrastructure somewhere. You'd hope they can fix this quickly as I don't think the fans will see it the same way come the start of the season.

What do you mean? Afobe joined during the last year and he's been pretty good so far, and we've recruited Wallace and Coady who have yet to play for us. We may not see a direct like for like Sako replacement, which would be difficult anyway.

I agree with you over the Webber situation, which I have stated earlier is rather peculiar, IMO.

No doubt Afobe is excellent, but that is it for last season. Not a sparkling record and pretty shocking for any recruitment team.

VLP did OK for me. Definitely needs to improve but absolutely no complaints on a free. A good addition.

Saville is looking like a shocker, but no club is perfect in the market. Mistakes are always going to be made regardless of who you are and what level you're competing at.

Add to this, Rowe has pretty much had the last year written off due to injury so hard to judge him

On the count of Sako I will liken it to last season when Bournemouth lost Grabban, they acted swiftly and brought in Wilson. I feel we can't replace Sako but we can bring in a different proposition on the left and I'd say replacing Sako will be pivotal to the overall season. I don't think you'll ever see a team replace a talisman from within and have anywhere near the same success unless you have a Robbie Keane style break out and it's naive to rely on an academy that has produced more Proudlocks than Lescotts (as most do)

Yep, good post LW. One of the key things about Sako was that other teams paid him a lot of attention. They're certainly not going to do that with DE. Slightly worried at the moment that we're going to finish 7th/8th come next May and find ourselves saying, "if only..."

Dave Edwards will NOT be playing on the left wing...

Add to this, Rowe has pretty much had the last year written off due to injury so hard to judge him

87651635.ExdwAP6i.DSC06554_s.jpg

Rowe just looks bang average. It's hard to see anything there that we could seriously work on to improve.

I'm of the opinion we won't sign anyone to replace Sako. The club is already talking up Jordan Graham and he is the heir to the throne....

I'm of the opinion we won't sign anyone to replace Sako. The club is already talking up Jordan Graham and he is the heir to the throne....

Whilst we should be signing someone to replace Sako, Graham does look like a fantastic prospect, I also expect Zele to make an impact this season... Sort of.

Talk is we have bid for Andre Gray.

Getting on a bit now, ay he?

Back