• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The 2015/2016 Summer Improvement Thread

So.... any foreign player who hasn't performed in their first year should not be given another chance? (joking)

I like Rajiv and think he has plenty to offer. Whilst at times he is infuriating teams have also found him hard to cope with - particularly on the counter attack. He needs to become more direct, his crossing more consistent and his finishing needs to improve vastly. Why shouldn't we expect more goals if he continues to get in good positions? That's the one reason I think he might score more next season!

I think comparisons to Jarvis and Bolasie are fair in the fact that both those players have improved with being given more opportunities at this level and above. Both have shown their best, effective form to be in the division above.

Regardless, he has to earn the opportunity to prove himself with hard work and good performance in training, particularly with the signing of Wallace and hopefully another winger which looks like being Zyro.

I didn't think I needed to write, "unless they look utter, utter shite".

I felt sorry for Mujangi. In the one game he actually played in (in the Premier League) he was pretty good against Portsmouth. Got injured, never seen again.

I think he's done alright for Standard Liege too?

He needs to become more direct, his crossing more consistent and his finishing needs to improve vastly. Why shouldn't we expect more goals if he continues to get in good positions?

So other than all the elements required to be an effective winger needing loads of improvement, he's got the lot...

I'll leave it now, others obviously see something in him that I don't.

More direct - does this very well on the counter attack, but slows the ball down 1v1 too often. Sometimes this works in his favour when defenders dive in but some were wise to it and stood their ground.

Crossing more consistent - he's shown that he is capable. Norwich, Wigan, Reading three examples of fantastic crosses under pressure form defenders that created goals. At time it is down right dreadful, others he tries to slide between the goalkeeper and defender which we don't attack well enough.

Finishingg needs to improve vastly - yes, his finishing has been utterly dreadful this season. A small consolation is the amount of chances he does get himself on the end of. And clear cut chances these are where he attacks the ball too early and miscues his effort. I think that's down to a lack of composure than poor technique. Others will disagree though.

I'm surprised that you think he brings nothing to the team when he plays. Which is what you seem to be insinuating.

I just think he's more Michael Branch than Michael Kightly.

It might be harsh but the context is this - I want us to go all out and try to win this league next season, I think it's well within our capabilities if we make the right signings and strengthen the right areas. Put it this way, if the opportunity arose to re-sign Kightly for next year (it probably won't, but let's say for the sake of argument he were available for around £2m, what we sold him for) then I'd be all over it, a massive, massive upgrade. And that's Kightly whose best days are probably behind him.

We're in the fortunate position where none of the relegated teams look that imposing and we already have some very good players at this level with a solid season behind us where at times we looked like one of the best teams in the division. I don't want our chances compromised by half-arseing it and sticking with players who realistically wouldn't get in many title winning teams, we might not get a better chance.

I find it odd that Van La Parra has so many defenders on here and yet a good chunk of the forum would happily sell on/upgrade on Danny Batth who has shown far more signs of being capable at this level.

I agree with you on Kightly and I would include Jarvis in that too. I can't speak for anybody else but for me I think RvlP has talent and has shown that talent last season albeit inconsistently.

I have no qualms in upgrading any player in the team and if two wingers who are better were to become available I'd like us to go and get them. The same goes for any player in any position. I thin kthe biggest pressure is on KJ and Thelwell this summer after the mess they made of things last summer. Like you say opportunities like this don't come around too often.

I don't think anybody is suggesting he's a top notch player for this level. But then again, I doubt many people last summer expected Andrew Surman, Marc Pugh and Yann Kermorgant to be part of a title winning side.

VLP is nowhere near the finished article - but there's enough there for him to be given chances to improve. He reminds me of Jimmy Kebe if we're bringing comparisons into play.

I think the attitude to Baath may well be that we have EEL and Hause chomping at the bit, so no real fears in swopping him for 6 million.

The difference between Batth and Rajiv is clear: the former is clearly using mental strength to cope with physical shortcomings (namely pace), while the other is clearly using physical gifts to counteract mental shortcomings. It shouldn't be too hard to guess which of these has the higher upside.

However, you can improve the mental part of your game with age and experience- it's hard to learn to be really fast.

Personally I'm happy to have both of them, I don't see why we're comparing the two?

The difference between Batth and Rajiv is clear: the former is clearly using mental strength to cope with physical shortcomings (namely pace), while the other is clearly using physical gifts to counteract mental shortcomings. It shouldn't be too hard to guess which of these has the higher upside.

Danny Batth ala John Terry. Or are you saying VLP ala Mo Camara?

However, you can improve the mental part of your game with age and experience- it's hard to learn to be really fast.

Personally I'm happy to have both of them, I don't see why we're comparing the two?

This is my point exactly.

As for the second bit, I'm not bothered if Batth isn't replaced but I think at his position a whiffed tackle is much more damaging than Rajiv whiffing on a cross.

More than once (on televised games, of course) I've seen Batth get muscled off the ball in really bad positions. Probably unfair but incidents like that stick out like mad.

Wolves U21s & U18s ‏@Comptonstars
Wolves to sign French U18 international Defender Sylvain Deslandes
From Caen

One for the future

Has the Kasim rumour died down? Really hoped we could get him, would be great in the midfield

The biggest rumours are that we have had a £1.5m bid for Joe Mason turned down by Cardiff,

and that Everton are about to put in a bid for Dicko.

Back