• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The 2015/2016 Summer Improvement Thread

I'd keep VLP around - pace is always a threat in this league even if the end product is of variable quality.

He should only improve from his experience this season. If the same issues are plaguing him at this point next year then his future should be in doubt. He seems to have recognised that he needs to contribute more in the final third so I'll give him the opportunity to do so.

Why not, i never saw Matt Jarvis scoring 8 in the Premier League but he did. It's perfectly reasonable that he gets a few more goals next year and maybe even a couple more assists after all it was his first season in the Championship and improvement is likely imo. Obviously a few of you don't think so but we shall see, if he's poor i will be the first to say but i find some of the criticism for him far too harsh.

It appears Jarvis was just a purple patch though.

I just don't see the ability to score the goals. I don't think he was unlucky or anything like that or showing signs for improvement. I just don't think he has the ability to score goals and that isn't just going to appear IMO.

It appears Jarvis was just a purple patch though.

I just don't see the ability to score the goals. I don't think he was unlucky or anything like that or showing signs for improvement. I just don't think he has the ability to score goals and that isn't just going to appear IMO.

Yes it was a one off with Jarvis but it was his last season with us and he was used differently at West Ham.

Well i'd look at it differently, he got in good positions to score goals so with a bit of composure he would have had at least 4/5 more and i think with a bit of help he could get them. He wasn't prolific at Heerenveen either but he was definitely better in front of goal for them and i'm willing to give him a chance to do so next year.

The chances he missed with us were proper sitters a lot of the time. I don't think he has it in him at all.

The chances he missed with us were proper sitters a lot of the time. I don't think he has it in him at all.

That's exactly my point though, they were sitters and i don't believe he will continue to miss them if he keeps getting them. If he does then we should definitely be looking somewhere else but i think from what i saw last year he's worth another year without a doubt.

Henry or RVLP are not good enough for a top 6 team in this league. Let's hope Jed Wallace and Jordan Graham, although young, can take their places this season and produce more consistent quality.

Personally think Henry is good enough for a top 6 team, certainly a squad member, the only thing he really lacks is pace. Wallace I'm expecting to play more as a 10. I've high hopes for Graham this season.......although I've got very little to base that on.

One thing I did notice about van La Parra last season in the games I saw is that he performed far better away from home than he did at Molineux. Huddersfield away in particular he was magnificent.

Apart from Afobe he's technically superior to anybody else in our first team right now and was kept out of the team for long periods by James Henry who is a far better player than he's been given credit for over the last 2 pages. He's definitely worth persevering with IMO, especially when you consider that it was his first season in English football, that he's 23 years old and that for a player his age he has actually had very little first team experience.

RVLP is a mile ahead of Henry

I'm a big James Henry fan and think they're both very good footballers. There wont be many teams in this league who would turn either of them down and we're lucky to have such quality in that position. Two of the the most underrated players at Wolves IMO.

I'm a big James Henry fan and think they're both very good footballers. There wont be many teams in this league who would turn either of them down. Two of the the most underrated players at Wolves IMO.

Yet we bring in Jed Wallace, who in a 4-4-2 system, will likely play on the right side?

Yet we bring in Jed Wallace, who in a 4-4-2 system, will likely play on the right side?

Personally I don't think we'll be playing a 4-4-2 next season. It'll be 4-3-3 with room for both Wallace and one of Rajiv/Henry IMO.

Personally I don't think we'll be playing a 4-4-2 next season. It'll be 4-3-3 with room for both Wallace and one of Rajiv/Henry IMO.

I think it's nailed on we'll have two strikers a lot of the time and it's why Jackett is making big attempts to improve midfield to allow us to do so.

I think it's nailed on we'll have two strikers a lot of the time and it's why Jackett is making big attempts to improve midfield to allow us to do so.

It's far from nailed on. From the little I know of him Wallace seems entirely unsuited to a 4-4-2 formation and everyone else we've been linked with so far have been the same.

The opposition team KJ has praised the most over the past 2 seasons has been Derby and I think we'll see a gradual shift towards their 4-3-3 style next season. I'm not going to bother looking for it but there was an interview last season where Ken is talking about Saville (I think?? Might be Rowe) and he goes on to list what he expects from each position. His philosophy then seemed to fit with that 4-3-3/4-5-1 formation, I think the 4-4-2 we were playing towards the end of the season was more of a short term fix than anything.

I think we'll be 4-3-3 next season.

-----------Ikeme---------------

Iorfa--Batth---Stearman--Golbourne

---Wallace--McD--Price------

--Dicko----Afobe----Zyro---

With a new mid to replace Price.

Agree with that Dan. Wouldn't be surprised to see EEL, Graham, Hause or Evans sneak into that first XI though.

It's far from nailed on. From the little I know of him Wallace seems entirely unsuited to a 4-4-2 formation and everyone else we've been linked with so far have been the same.

The opposition team KJ has praised the most over the past 2 seasons has been Derby and I think we'll see a gradual shift towards their 4-3-3 style next season. I'm not going to bother looking for it but there was an interview last season where Ken is talking about Saville (I think?? Might be Rowe) and he goes on to list what he expects from each position. His philosophy then seemed to fit with that 4-3-3/4-5-1 formation, I think the 4-4-2 we were playing towards the end of the season was more of a short term fix than anything.

I don't think he'll be that set on a 4-3-3. After Afobe came in and became the main man, KJ determined he was at his best alongside a partner. He won't go away from two strikers for a while. The last half a dozen or so games he frequently acknowledged midfield needed to be narrower to accommodate two forwards and hence personnel in midfield is being changed to allow us to be more dynamic in that area of the pitch. Wallace starting from the right and coming infield seems a perfect fit for what he wants. A left winger to replace Sako will provide the balance but will be a different player, more of a ball player without the explosive attributes. Jordan Graham and RVLP will be options in a 4-3-3 should he change they system for a specific game or during a match as they are much more pacey and direct. I can't see where James Henry fits in with the signing of Wallace to be honest?

Back