• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Summer 2022 Transfer Window

As we clearly aren’t going to let Fabio out on loan without a change to that back up I would suggest revisiting that in a couple of weeks.
I mean, we’ve got a bit of a track record of going into a season without a back up striker.

We had Cutrone for 6 months who was garbage and then we’ve had Fabio who wasn’t remotely ready first year and then barely used last year even when required.

I certainly wouldn’t be putting my house on someone coming in. Particularly when we’ve got the mighty Hwang playing #9 in training.

Hwang is the backup striker. MGW is our new attacking midfielder. That’s what I think’s happening.

As we clearly aren’t going to let Fabio out on loan without a change to that back up I would suggest revisiting that in a couple of weeks.

Tbh I'm actually really surprised that we've let him go out without having dry ink on an incoming contract. Intention to sign a forward isn't the same as shipping off our second choice striker with the absolute knowledge an improvement is coming in.

The two decisions aren’t linked though. He needs a loan otherwise he’s never going to develop into what we hope. Him staying here on the bench is utterly pointless same as MGW last year. So we are happy to let him go regardless of future transfer strategy and if we can’t get anyone in then so be it.

Hwang is the backup striker. MGW is our new attacking midfielder. That’s what I think’s happening.
Sadly I think you're right.

It's stupid and won't work but Jeff wants the clicks.

At least we'll get a ball carrying midfielder instead.

Pretty much. Lage just doesn't like him and he gets to pick the team for now.

I don't think Lage will be a Wolves employee for very much of 2023 if at all, whereas Fabio Silva will be.

I mean that shit is no better than Carl Hoddle being on our books. Somehow goes under the radar though.

The two decisions aren’t linked though. He needs a loan otherwise he’s never going to develop into what we hope. Him staying here on the bench is utterly pointless same as MGW last year. So we are happy to let him go regardless of future transfer strategy and if we can’t get anyone in then so be it.

He was getting too many minutes for them not to be linked. I agree that it's absolutely the right thing for the player, and I'm glad the club haven't let his fee get in the way of it. But we'd have been able to get him a good move even if we'd have waited until we were *sure* we'd improved on him (or more ideally (though unlikely-ly) improved on Raul). I'd rather have Silva here than benteke, for example. The incoming player is important in the equation

Tbh I'm actually really surprised that we've let him go out without having dry ink on an incoming contract. Intention to sign a forward isn't the same as shipping off our second choice striker with the absolute knowledge an improvement is coming in.
He's signed an extension hasn't he?

He was getting too many minutes for them not to be linked. I agree that it's absolutely the right thing for the player, and I'm glad the club haven't let his fee get in the way of it. But we'd have been able to get him a good move even if we'd have waited until we were *sure* we'd improved on him (or more ideally (though unlikely-ly) improved on Raul). I'd rather have Silva here than benteke, for example. The incoming player is important in the equation
560 league minutes? Playing false 9’s ahead of him? Not bringing him on in games when we were behind? Bringing him on in injury time etc.

Sending him now allows him to integrate with his new team. Sending him on 31st August means he misses the first few games, then most of Septmember integrating, then he’s got 6 weeks until the World Cup.

We’ve got to get from 1st of September to mid November with no back up. If the option is no back up or wasting Fabio on the bench then it’s no backup. Highly unlikely to be problem in 10 weeks but if we can get a body in then great.

560 league minutes? Playing false 9’s ahead of him? Not bringing him on in games when we were behind? Bringing him on in injury time etc.

Sending him now allows him to integrate with his new team. Sending him on 31st August means he misses the first few games, then most of Septmember integrating, then he’s got 6 weeks until the World Cup.

We’ve got to get from 1st of September to mid November with no back up. If the option is no back up or wasting Fabio on the bench then it’s no backup. Highly unlikely to be problem in 10 weeks but if we can get a body in then great.

Yeah that's a good point tbf. Like I say definitely in player's best interest and I'm worried about being short but there's probably actually not that many games before the window opens.

And I know there's surely somebody coming in anyway, I'm just being a bit overly concerned. It's not as if he's actually a miss as a body up top anyway, I'd probably rather play MGW as a false 9.

And coady's previously shown a great deal of adaptability, so maybe he's the next Robbie Fowler!

Really could do with some major movement this coming week.

Weve lost 7/8 players that always made the match day squad when fit and made just 1 addition to a team that was 4th from bottom of the form table over the last 16 games of last season.

The system change plus MGW will hopefully help but still...

As it stands

Out Ruddy, Saiss, Marcal, Trincao, Hoever, Fabio
In MGW, Collins, Sarkic, Ronan, Traore

It's not that much different in numbers and has probably improved in first team quality. It's light but a net loss of 6 isnt accurate at the moment

As it stands

Out Ruddy, Saiss, Marcal, Trincao, Hoever, Fabio
In MGW, Collins, Sarkic, Ronan, Troare

It's not that much different in numbers and has probably improved in first team quality. It's light but a net loss of 6 isnt accurate at the moment
I'd say Ronan is pushing it. He's not really got any business being on the bench in a time where you can make 5 subs I think you need most of them need to be viable options to bring on.

Back