• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Summer 2022 Transfer Window

Then he can play the same number of minutes for Wolves as he does for England. I don’t doubt his impact around the club and the team or the wonderful work he does on the community side. Above all that though needs to be, is he worth his place in the starting 11? We've seen talk of selling RAN, MGW, Neves and now Donck this Summer, Coady would be above all of them for me, if someone looking for what he offers is out there

Last edited:
Fuck man if we could somehow get £30m for donk and Adama and then get Nunes. Actual quality transfer business?
Something like that (doubt be Nunes but a first choice midfielder at least) would be good business but we’d still need a back up midfielder and a forward. Have resigned myself to the fact that there will be a gap somewhere in the squad mind you.

No right or wrong answer. Just Southgate had the chance to play Coady or Mings at the last tournament and he plays Mings, who since doesn’t even make the squad at all. So your “great readers of the game” didn’t rate Coady enough to play ahead of someone out of their depth at international level.

His issue is he he’s the slowest out of all the options by a margin, he’s the least physically dominant out of the options by a margin and carries the ball the worst by a margin. Wouldn’t say his positioning was anything special so then being a “leader” and being able to hit 40 yard passes (which he doesn’t do anymore) has to carry an awful lot of weight to make up for the other downfalls.
I didn't realise how shit Coady was!

I think letting Coady go at this current time would be very de-stabilising to the dressing at the very least. Regardless what anyone thinks of his natural ability he’s a natural leader and clearly very popular in the dressing room. Ability wise turning to a back 4 could leave him exposed but what he’s shown whilst being with us is that he’s very capable of changing and adapting his game.

It's not that he's shit at all, and clearly he brings a lot to the table. Reasons I'd like to move him on:

1 - He's probably 4th choice if we play a back four
2 - We'd get £15-20m for him.
3 - After everything he's done for us he deserves better than being benched
4 - Other clubs make weird transfer decisions all the time, so his suitors wouldn't be limited to thoose that play 5 atb
5 - It'll stop people suggesting we play him in midfield

Reasons to keep him

1 - sentimentality/loyalty
2 - He would be a huge loss in the leadership team
3 - If we went back to a back five at any point, he'd be missed

Over all, given our finances, the think it's worth moving him on

Re; Donk. Strange link. Obviously Thelwell is trying to bring players on board that he's had experience with.

If this link had been at the end of last season, I'd have driven Donk there myself, but he's come back in this pre-season looking fitter and sharper than ever (admittedly from a small sample size) which is encouraging. That said, he's behind Moutinho & Neves in the deeper positions and personally I don't really see him as an option in this weird wide attacking role that he keeps getting shoved in to - so if a bid of anything in/around £25m came in, I'd be letting him go in order to bring in a more suitable ball carrying player like Nunes.

The only major problem I see with this is if we sell him and then fail to bring another midfielder in. We can't be going in to the season with the current options, less Donk, whether he's first choice or not; because our squad depth is shite as it is.

As for Coady, I don't think there's any way we sell him this window. I can see Bruno partnering him with one of Collins/Kilman, despite the majority of us fans preferring those two as a partnership with Coads making way.

To sell Donk at this point would be absolute lunacy. He's one of our most experienced CMs, an area we are extremely weak in numbers.
He's nowhere near as bad as some make out.
He's had a poor season but far from the only one. Don't think it's helped him being shoehorned into positions hes just not suited for. Of course we need reinforcements to go along with him, Neves and Moutinho.

I'd be snatching Evertons hands off at 15m or above for Dendoncker. It seems to be a popular opinion on here that he is "fine" as a holding midfielder but I don't subscribe to it, he is weak for his size, loses physical battles and headers on a fairly regular basis to players with less physical attributes than him. He's not great on the ball either, his one good attribute is his work ethic and he does cover a lot of ground but when that's your standout attribute at this level there is a problem.

I also think his better performances came in his first couple of seasons here so maybe the change of scenery can get a bit more out of him. If people want us to spend whilst also holding on to the likes of Neves and MGW though this is the kind of player that is more than dispensible.

Any sign of a forward to replace Silva? He was the preferred option when Raul wasn't available in the spring and none of our other forward options can play centrally alone.

To sell Donk at this point would be absolute lunacy. He's one of our most experienced CMs, an area we are extremely weak in numbers.
He's nowhere near as bad as some make out.
He's had a poor season but far from the only one. Don't think it's helped him being shoehorned into positions hes just not suited for. Of course we need reinforcements to go along with him, Neves and Moutinho.

Even if say his best position is as a DM, he's third choice there, so given the imbalance and his international stature etc, he' prime to be sold. He's also pretty terrible at actual football

I'd be snatching Evertons hands off at 15m or above for Dendoncker. It seems to be a popular opinion on here that he is "fine" as a holding midfielder but I don't subscribe to it, he is weak for his size, loses physical battles and headers on a fairly regular basis to players with less physical attributes than him. He's not great on the ball either, his one good attribute is his work ethic and he does cover a lot of ground but when that's your standout attribute at this level there is a problem.

I also think his better performances came in his first couple of seasons here so maybe the change of scenery can get a bit more out of him. If people want us to spend whilst also holding on to the likes of Neves and MGW though this is the kind of player that is more than dispensible.
I don't know what he is good at other than being the proverbial "manager's dream" of a player that can slot in anywhere - an average defender, an average midfielder and a shocking winger come whatever. He is the ultimate squad player and very easily replaceable.

Like most others I I wouldn't be that concerned about selling Dendoncker in isolation, but would need replacing. Bruno and Nuno know better than me, but if you look at how we set up the other night, I'd have him sat behind Neves and Moutinho if that's the 3 you are playing, also can drop in as a 3 if that's required for 10 mins to control a game for example, but that doesn't seem to ever happen

Who said Coady was shit?

People are saying we have better options at CB in a 4.

Kilman, Collins and Boly are better, what makes you think otherwise?

Playing 3 at the back you'd most certainly have Coady in there.
Well some of the comments on here are very negative about him.

Also the certainty that so many of you have that he definitely won't be able to perform in a 4 seems a little odd to me, he's very adaptable as proven from his transition to CM to RB to CB, he's clearly very open to change, if the coaching is good i think he could be a 7/10 CB in a four.

Why certainty that Kilman and Boly are the better CBs in a 4 when we have seen as much of them there (if not less) than we have seen Coady there? Neither are much quicker?

It just feels like it's been said so many times it's become fact, when we just don't know.

Time will tell - but i haven't written him off, not yet.

Last edited:
Back