• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Summer 2022 Transfer Window

I'd have thought we'd need to be selling one of Kilman, Coady or Boly for anything to be in that
Coady to Everton…

In all seriousness, if he’s not in the first XI (I don’t think he should be and it’s not even debateable) then surely he can’t stay?
We're well stocked with CBs aren't we? Especially if we go 4 at.
Yeah we could probably afford a loan for Toti/Mosquera with the numbers as they are. Probably better for Mosquera to go out given his lack of experience.

Coady to Everton…

In all seriousness, if he’s not in the first XI (I don’t think he should be and it’s not even debateable) then surely he can’t stay?
PL teams know his limitations though, so you need a team that's committed to a back 3, significantly reduces the options.

Still wouldn't surprise me to see Boly leave. Injury aside he hasn't played a great deal in recent seasons.

I’d be comfortable with that if there was a taker. Doubt anyone will take on his £60k p/w though. So may aswell just keep him, let Mosquera out on loan, then next summer release Boly and see where Mosquera at.

I find some of the opinions on Coady completely baffling.

The guy has been instrumental in our rise over the last five seasons, is our Captain and our leader. He epitomises everything we have needed over the last few years and has definitely made no more mistakes than anyone else.

Maybe he’s not the greatest defender in the world but he’s going to the World Cup (yes, the World Cup) with England this year and so greater readers of the game than us think he’s doing ok.

And yes, he even plays in a four for his country.

There are a fair few ways we can improve our team this season and I would say replacing Coady is fairly far down the list.

Be careful what you wish for.

I find some of the opinions on Coady completely baffling.

The guy has been instrumental in our rise over the last five seasons, is our Captain and our leader. He epitomises everything we have needed over the last few years and has definitely made no more mistakes than anyone else.

Maybe he’s not the greatest defender in the world but he’s going to the World Cup (yes, the World Cup) with England this year and so greater readers of the game than us think he’s doing ok.

And yes, he even plays in a four for his country.

There are a fair few ways we can improve our team this season and I would say replacing Coady is fairly far down the list.

Be careful what you wish for.
I'm always conscious of looking like I'm getting stuck into him which isn't my intention, but how many outfield players didn’t play a minute for England in the last Euros? Why do you think that was? Why do you think he's in the squad? Which games does he play?

If we are going to play 2 centre halves, he's not one of the best 3 maybe even 4

Still wouldn't surprise me to see Boly leave. Injury aside he hasn't played a great deal in recent seasons.
Other than Lage weirdly ignoring him for months he's always been first choice when fit. Nuno pretty much never left him out by choice.

Other than Lage weirdly ignoring him for months he's always been first choice when fit. Nuno pretty much never left him out by choice.
Must admit even though I love the guy, I had written him off at the end of last season , just didn't look up to it physically, probably due to injuries and long covid. However in the friendly last night he seemed fitter and quicker again, maybe he has his mojo back.

I'm always conscious of looking like I'm getting stuck into him which isn't my intention, but how many outfield players didn’t play a minute for England in the last Euros? Why do you think that was? Why do you think he's in the squad? Which games does he play?

If we are going to play 2 centre halves, he's not one of the best 3 maybe even 4
So, what’s the issue?

He’s not one of the best three best centre backs in this country? Big deal.

There’s a big difference between not being good enough to start in front of £70m McGuire and £50m Stones and not being good enough to start for Wolverhampton Wanderers?

Levels.

Christ, would you play Ronaldo at CB? Of course not.

Coady at CM is a known quantity. He is just about Championship level at that position.

We're not pulling that out of our asses, we've all seen it firsthand FFS. Use your hippocampus.

So, what’s the issue?

He’s not one of the best three best centre backs in this country? Big deal.

There’s a big difference between not being good enough to start in front of £70m McGuire and £50m Stones and not being good enough to start for Wolverhampton Wanderers?

Levels.
The issue is he's not one of the best 3 centre backs at Wolves (in a 2). You were the one who brought England into it

I think Boly has to be cut some slack due to the bad injury he picked up a few seasons ago , and then picking up COVID on top of that , which appears to have lingered into long COVID . He didn't have a proper pre season last year , other smaller short term injuries came along as well , all of which resulted in him not having a sustained run in the team until the back end of last season .
I still rate him highly and would not sell him if it can be avoided .

Can he play in a two ? He probably can with time .

Fuck man if we could somehow get £30m for donk and Adama and then get Nunes. Actual quality transfer business?

Good club player, does a good job for Villa.

Slightly out of his depth as an international.

Is that the right answer?
No right or wrong answer. Just Southgate had the chance to play Coady or Mings at the last tournament and he plays Mings, who since doesn’t even make the squad at all. So your “great readers of the game” didn’t rate Coady enough to play ahead of someone out of their depth at international level.

His issue is he he’s the slowest out of all the options by a margin, he’s the least physically dominant out of the options by a margin and carries the ball the worst by a margin. Wouldn’t say his positioning was anything special so then being a “leader” and being able to hit 40 yard passes (which he doesn’t do anymore) has to carry an awful lot of weight to make up for the other downfalls.

Even if he's not playing, the positive impact Coady has on the squad shouldn't be downplayed. That much was evident at the Euros with regards to England, so I imagine it's the same if not more impactful at Wolves.

Back