• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Summer 2021 transfer window

I just think it's easy to hold up this benchmark of 'next level', about 3/4 of the PL see obsessed with it. Spurs probably thought Mourinho would do it, or West Ham with Pellegrini, or Everton with Ancelotti and probably even Marco Silva, or Newcastle with Rafa.

It rarely works that way, it needs the whole club to be on it, not just a fancy manager with a name or a hot reputation

Probably only Brendan Rodgers has really done any 'next level' stuff for clubs outside the top 4, and I bet we'd have turned our noses up at him in 2019
This is probably the most balanced and sensible post I’ve read. Touché

This is probably the most balanced and sensible post I’ve read. Touché
For Gods sake man, read the terms and conditions of the site, Section 5, paragraph (ii) "Even if a Prawnking post is either or both balanced or agreeable you never openly agree with him, you can, under certain circumstances, nod along at home with his musings, but never in public and especially not in print"
Consider yourself warned !

For Gods sake man, read the terms and conditions of the site, Section 5, paragraph (ii) "Even if a Prawnking post is either or both balanced or agreeable you never openly agree with him, you can, under certain circumstances, nod along at home with his musings, but never in public and especially not in print"
Consider yourself warned !
But I am incredibly drunk

Stop with the personal insults Dan, I haven't directed any at you.
I've been off the forum for a bit because I've been on nights, but...
Going back through the to's and fro's from you and Dan I'd like to make the following observations...

I don't agree with Dan, TT, and Wilf's (plus a few others) unswerving belief that we are doomed to relegation/a season of doom.
HOWEVER, as a Wolves fan for closing in on 50 years I understand their reservations.
In my time as a fan I have seen us managed by 22 managers, 1972 onwards. Before Bill McGary we had 10 Managers, since 1877!
As a Wolves fan the best Manager I had seen was McGary who had taken over from Ronnie Allen in 1968. (I was 4!) Allen had signed Derek Dougan who fired us to promotion in the 1967/68 season. McGary took over in 1968 and inherited a few players who formed the backbone of the team that epitomised Wolves of the 1970's, whilst signing others like Kenny Hibbitt who became Wolves legends. He benefitted from Allen's foresight and inherited a team in the top flight of the English game.
Nuno took over a team that had been floundering in the lower reaches of the second level of the English game. He transformed us from less than "also rans" to a team that seriously challenged at the top of the elite in football. 2 top 7 finishes, an FA Cup semi-final and a Qtr Final of the Europa League.
That is quite the achievement in 3 seasons and I, for one (and many others) were shocked to see him go. We all adapt and adjust as we can and all see the new direction the club is heading differently.
As I said, I don't whole heartedly agree with the stance that TT, Wilf and Dan have taken but, as a fan, I understand their stance on Nuno's dismissal. If we, as a club, had done that and had a thorough selection process, no one would complain but it seems that a decision was made under a parameter that isn't the "norm" in the game in England. We now find ourselves walking down the "Bruno Lage" path...
Having a "non-fan" post laughing emoji's on their posts, dismissing their serious concerns as a fan/supporter of many years, could be seen as disingenuous (at the very least) and I think it reflects badly on you because I feel, that as an "outsider", you have that separation of connection that could allow you to give observations away from the blinkered "norm" of a fan. Disagree with them. tell them why, but don't "mock" them.

I am still willing to see what Lage can bring to the table but I realise it comes with a large (pun intended) amount of risk

Going back through the to's and fro's from you and Dan I'd like to make the following observations...

I don't agree with Dan, TT, and Wilf's (plus a few others) unswerving belief that we are doomed to relegation/a season of doom.
HOWEVER, as a Wolves fan for closing in on 50 years I understand their reservations.
In my time as a fan I have seen us managed by 22 managers, 1972 onwards. Before Bill McGary we had 10 Managers, since 1877!
As a Wolves fan the best Manager I had seen was McGary who had taken over from Ronnie Allen in 1968. (I was 4!) Allen had signed Derek Dougan who fired us to promotion in the 1967/68 season. McGary took over in 1968 and inherited a few players who formed the backbone of the team that epitomised Wolves of the 1970's, whilst signing others like Kenny Hibbitt who became Wolves legends. He benefitted from Allen's foresight and inherited a team in the top flight of the English game.
Nuno took over a team that had been floundering in the lower reaches of the second level of the English game. He transformed us from less than "also rans" to a team that seriously challenged at the top of the elite in football. 2 top 7 finishes, an FA Cup semi-final and a Qtr Final of the Europa League.
That is quite the achievement in 3 seasons and I, for one (and many others) were shocked to see him go. We all adapt and adjust as we can and all see the new direction the club is heading differently.
As I said, I don't whole heartedly agree with the stance that TT, Wilf and Dan have taken but, as a fan, I understand their stance on Nuno's dismissal. If we, as a club, had done that and had a thorough selection process, no one would complain but it seems that a decision was made under a parameter that isn't the "norm" in the game in England. We now find ourselves walking down the "Bruno Lage" path...
Having a "non-fan" post laughing emoji's on their posts, dismissing their serious concerns as a fan/supporter of many years, could be seen as disingenuous (at the very least) and I think it reflects badly on you because I feel, that as an "outsider", you have that separation of connection that could allow you to give observations away from the blinkered "norm" of a fan. Disagree with them. tell them why, but don't "mock" them.

I am still willing to see what Lage can bring to the table but I realise it comes with a large (pun intended) amount of risk
I don’t think we are definitely doomed but I do think that the chances of things going tits up are considerably higher now. My view is that the lack of rest after a very long season with a small squad combined with the loss of the player most crucial to how we play had a huge impact last season. With the credit banked in the previous three seasons I thought Nuno deserved a chance to refresh the squad and go again. I accept the counter argument that performances were poor and he wasn’t the best man to bring a new style of play and therefore I can just about understand letting Nuno go but only f we were getting a manager in that has a proven track record. Larg may prove me wrong but I think it is a big gamble that we shouldn’t be taking given where we are. I really hope my pessimism is proved wrong.

It's not like I haven't had the conversation too, I've put across my opinion and confronted their, and others', opinions multiple times. It's not the basis of some people's concerns that tickle me but the hyberbolic hysterics that some feel the need to accompany their opinion with.

And let's be completely frank here it's not the first time, not by a long shot, that people on this forum will have been openly laughed at for having some over the top thoughts is it? In fact some of the very people who may feel particularly belittled by my take on current events, and their view on them, can often by found seemingly relishing being on the other side of this type of interaction.

We're a bunch of nobodies talking on the internet about a meaningless game, let's not take ourselves too seriously.

How has Castles ended up writing for the Times? He's hopeless. He's just regurgitated his story from weeks ago which Deutsch called him out on.

The club have gone down in writing saying Ruben has three years remaining on his deal. If they roll over and get their bellies tickled by a club who can't even compete to sign players from the Championship and SPL then we're in big trouble.

How has Castles ended up writing for the Times? He's hopeless. He's just regurgitated his story from weeks ago which Deutsch called him out on.

The club have gone down in writing saying Ruben has three years remaining on his deal. If they roll over and get their bellies tickled by a club who can't even compete to sign players from the Championship and SPL then we're in big trouble.
Hypothetically, there is a price where it makes sense for wolves to sell. I think that's around £50-60m but I don't see arsenal paying that

It all depends on whether you think we need to/will have to sell a first team player to regenerate the squad. Raul and Neto's injuries rule them out you'd have thought so that leaves 3 credible candidates:
Traore in the current contract situation the most likely, but probably the best fit for the system Lage used at Benfica
Coady in a very niche Nuno goes to Everton and wants him to help drill in his system, but would be the least likely
Neves, we signed him for a similar amount to Jota so given the comments around profit you'd assume we'll accept a similar price of early 40's plus for him. Before Nuno left I thought this might be the Summer Neves does, I think it'd be a CL rather than Arsenal though. They have the name, location and probably wages, but on a footballing level I can't see him finding it attractive

Liverpool Jota I completely understand but while undoubtedly Arsenal are a bigger club than Wolves, they're a spent force. Selling to them would be doubly making our objectives harder.
Preparing a bid? Typical journalists speculation. And as an alternative to Buendia, who they were outbid on?
Neves might go this summer but even with fees potentially depressed it would surely be for more than that.

There's only a couple of people who have said we are going down, it's just that opinion gets tagged to anyone else who has concerns. It also seems difficult to have a conversation about Lage/ his coronation without, 'but Nuno did this or the style was like that'

As I've said before, but it doesn't seem to cut through I see them as 2 distinct events, not one rounded one that ends with a Nuno vs Lage debate. The only hyperbolic (to quote Mark) statements I've made have been much more around the process than the man. Obviously in some way they are linked as the lack of one had brought us the other whose qualifications for the role are questionable, but my issue is the Board's reliance on Mendes here more than it is Lage and way more than it is around Nuno leaving

I don't think Neves is happy with the Nuno situation. I read yesterday he thought it was time he moved on. He was happy and content here with his family. I bet it's pissed him off a bit that Nuno has gone.

Back