• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Summer 2021 transfer window

It's a really simple equation, when they do good things I praise them, when they do things I perceive to be stupid, I'll criticise them.

I do not think sacking the manager, appointing some random guy who was on no-one's radar two months ago and selling half the squad is a good idea. Others prefer to say "well, you never know". I'm going to say I do know.
Did he get sacked, or did he quit?

Selling half the squad? Who have we sold?

Tomorrow is the opening of the Transfer window, and it would be nice if we got back on track and just talked about transfers on this thread. Perhaps a moderator could ensure this?

"Iceberg right ahead!"

"No mate, just carry on. Worry about it if and when it happens".

You know very well we're actively selling first team players. If you'd like a daily update of how many players we have signed then I can help you there. It's 0 so far.

Bet you that other than converting Ait-Nouri and Vitinha into permanent deals, it'll be 0 for the rest of this month.

"Iceberg right ahead!"

"No mate, just carry on. Worry about it if and when it happens".

You know very well we're actively selling first team players. If you'd like a daily update of how many players we have signed then I can help you there. It's 0 so far.

Bet you that other than converting Ait-Nouri and Vitinha into permanent deals, it'll be 0 for the rest of this month.
I actually think you will be wrong on this . Please just give him and the club a chance

I’ve heard decent things but not really seen much myself. Left footed I think?

puig would be my pick of the young Barca midfielders ha!

Fosun bought a club with great potential and invested wisely in a manager and players to increase the value of the club by getting it to the PL. They added sone more players and in one season became “best of the rest”. Against the odds given a small squad and 16 Europa games they repeated the feat the following season.

Many of the players they brought to the club increased in value and last summer they cashed in on a couple and reinvested in the team focusing on youth. It is hardly surprising that given the small squad and the lack of new “first team ready” signings we struggled when our single most important player got badly injured. Now we are told the club needs to sell to spend at the same time the owners talk about ”building the brand” and growing income. Now they have removed a successful manager who has achieved two great finishes and increased the value of many players to bring in a manager who we probably all accept has a good record of bringing young players through. To what end? Sell a couple and replace them cheaply? Play more attacking football to improve attendances(!), it doesn’t add up. When we got promoted we added two experienced Portuguese internationals and Raul. We’re going to be in a similar position soon if the rumours are true and it seems this time the answer is bring in youngsters and let an inexperienced manager perform miracles. I’d say the probability is far more likely to send us into a relegation battle than put us back challenging for Europe. If you want to compete at the top of the table it takes money, lots of money. If they go ahead and increase ticket prices they are hardly creating. breathing room for the new man. I can hear it now: ”£200 extra for this…”. To think they can do it without spending goes against many years of history and common sense. Long odds bets rarely pay off, I just hope against hope this one does but seriously doubt it.

Bloody hell fire.

That's the beauty of setting expectations, I suppose, but some folk around here are going to look intensely silly if it turns out that Lage isn't the second coming of Saunders and that Fosun aren't actually asset-stripping the team in order to sell fashion to the Chinese.

Bloody hell fire.

That's the beauty of setting expectations, I suppose, but some folk around here are going to look intensely silly if it turns out that Lage isn't the second coming of Saunders and that Fosun aren't actually asset-stripping the team in order to sell fashion to the Chinese.
Speculation. It's what happens when you don't really know what is going on, but keep reading that your best players are up for sale. What do you want? Everyone to cheer merrily that we sacked our best manager in decades and possibly breaking up the best squad we had in the same time frame?
The problem on here is everyone can have an opinion, as long as it's the same opinion as the "old guard". Forums don't work that way.
We are all going to have a different opinion on the owners, new manager and playing staff.

People can spend their time however they want. If posting on a Wolves forum (in fact, two Wolves forums) all day, every day when you don't support Wolves and trolling the members is for you, good luck to you.

When you start being normal again, we can talk football, I quite enjoyed that now and then.
You act like it bothers you, but how about me? I'd be top of the reaction league if it wasn't for Mark laughing at you

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210608-211715_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20210608-211715_Samsung Internet.jpg
    450.7 KB · Views: 32
Bloody hell fire.

How many have actually said either of those things?

Anything over £5m for Rui is good business. He's on £100k per week, and far from worth it us at this stage of his career - particularly if we're going to be playing a higher defensive line; we need a keeper who's got more to him than shot-stopping, and he's not learning it at this stage of his career. I don't remember ever seeing this Olympiakos keeper tbh, his profile doesn't exactly excite - but maybe he's a steady hand for a couple of years whilst we look longer term. Rui has had some good games this season, and some bad games, but overall he's proved far from irreplaceable.

On Neves - people are completely mugging themselves off if they think that Arsenal is a sideways step ffs. They play good football, they've got a great, modern stadium, and there are signs that things are starting to click for them - only City have a better record since New Year's Day. Yeah, they're not the side they were 20 years ago, but if you had to bet on who has a better chance of reaching the Champions League in the next few years, we'd all say Arsenal. They're a step up in reputation, in wages, and in the quality of team mates - and he may even be allowed to let go of the centre-backs' hands too. They'll also be an easier stepping stone to an elite level club. I'll be gutted to lose him, but he's given us 4 bloody good years, and played a massive part in stabilising us as a Premier League club. If he wants a change, and we get £50m, he deserves the move.

I'm not wholly against a massive rebuild tbh; we're not getting value for wages on Rui or Joao. We only need one of Saiss and Dendonker. Coady might be one to sell after the Euros or never at all - we've all got our doubts on his ability in a two, and he may be another Doherty type that's perfect for the 'old way' but pretty worrying in any other system. Adama can also get tae fuck if we get £30m.

That leaves us with a sizable amount of money to spend (though I'd be disappointed in Fosun if we're not getting a net spend of £50m this Summer), and a hell of a lot of overspend off the wage bill to reinvest.

And it'll certainly give us something exciting to talk about too.

That amount of turn over in players would be close to what Fulham tried prior to the first of there most recent relegations.

That's a real worry, how many did Nuno bring in or change his first year, not saying its impossible as that felt fairly significant.

A parachute jump would be exciting. Talking about parachute payments less so!

My problem with Neves going to arsenal potentially is that I think he can do so much better. They have performed like a mid table team for 3 seasons now, aren’t improving and are a mess themselves. Sideways step no, obviously but still don’t think it would be the right move for him.

I think he’d walk into United’s midfield as the defensive midfielder they really need.

A Chelsea season ticket holder has said to me he heard that Traore to Chelsea in a swap with RLC and Abraham? I initially called bullshit , but will put it here in case anyone has heard similar.

Back