• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Summer 2019 Transfer Thread

Remember a few summers back, when people swore until they were blue in the face that there was a high-profile striker ready to be unveiled right until the deadline sailed past?

I remember that.

It was going to happen though, Locadia was ready to join. It didn't happen because PSV cancalled it at the last minute because they weren't able to find a replacement.

The size of our first team squad is laughable, as it stands :icon_lol:

Best bit of pant wetting on Facebook this morning,and I quote " this is bad news letting cav go,it's a sign of the new owners being ruthless,I hope we don't go the way of the big six"
Replies along the lines of," yea,it'll be horrible being in the champions league,winning the league and trophies most years"
Poor lad had the piss took more than LJ did over his housecoat debacle

Douglas is the obvious comparison. They had Zinchenko lined up but couldn't get it over the line. In that case we had just enough cover with Doc and Vinagre (and managed to get Jonny in, who was in essence a 2 for 1 as he could cover both wings) - unless Nuno's still going to try Traore through the middle at some point you'd hope they've learned from that. Albeit, you can't always delay offers until you get someone else in as the opportunity to sell might disappear. Tricky business...

I am not too worried as it stands but I do think we'll end up with a couple loans again, maybe quite late in the window.

It was going to happen though, Locadia was ready to join. It didn't happen because PSV cancalled it at the last minute because they weren't able to find a replacement.

You can't still believe that?

Douglas is the obvious comparison. They had Zinchenko lined up but couldn't get it over the line. In that case we had just enough cover with Doc and Vinagre (and managed to get Jonny in, who was in essence a 2 for 1 as he could cover both wings) - unless Nuno's still going to try Traore through the middle at some point you'd hope they've learned from that. Albeit, you can't always delay offers until you get someone else in as the opportunity to sell might disappear. Tricky business...

I am not too worried as it stands but I do think we'll end up with a couple loans again, maybe quite late in the window.

I would say we're already pretty late in the window with less than a month to go.

You can't still believe that?

That PSV cancelled the deal? They did, changed their mind half way through deadline day. They club even said they had changed their mind on the deal.
No rumours on that one.

That PSV cancelled the deal? They did, changed their mind half way through deadline day. They club even said they had changed their mind on the deal.
No rumours on that one.

Did PSV say that? From memory that was a statement put out by Thelwell through the B&S wasn't it?

It's just another excuse as to why we didn't sign a player.

Thankfully it didn't matter but I think we got very lucky in that it didn't matter and it was failure from the recruitment team.

There was a quote from Cocu (I think it was him) at PSV at the time, saying he wanted him to stay and told the club to pull the deal and the player didn't make any fuss and agreed to stay

Seems odd that he went to Brighton shortly afterwards then.

It seems as though we did right the ship in the next summer window with the recruitment of Raul and others but this window seems to be a step backwards so far.

Nobody bar Villa (who need a whole new team) and Leicester has done anything yet. Calling it a step backward at this second is unfair. If it is the same on August 8 I will agree with you.

Seems odd that he went to Brighton shortly afterwards then.

It seems as though we did right the ship in the next summer window with the recruitment of Raul and others but this window seems to be a step backwards so far.

6 months is along time in football innit.

Will comment on the success/failure of this window in 2 weeks. I refuse to believe we are sitting doing nothing and have nothing lined up to go. We have seen this week if Jeff isn't happy with anything at the club, he will get rid. So, if he thinks KT is fucking around he would now be sat with Laurie feeling sorry for himself.

I don’t think anything will happen soon, what we have will get us through the Europa and pre season stuff until the league starts and lots of noises about not wanting to over pay for players sounds like we’ll leave it last minute to get the best deal.

I don’t think anything will happen soon, what we have will get us through the Europa and pre season stuff until the league starts and lots of noises about not wanting to over pay for players sounds like we’ll leave it last minute to get the best deal.

As the window shuts on the 8th of August I'd say that waiting till the league starts is too late.

Also it’s not the same thing at all but loads of people were in full on smug mode in January about how we were definitely going to sign a forward even with hours to go in the window and nothing happened.

As the window shuts on the 8th of August I'd say that waiting till the league starts is too late.

Yeah I meant if we sign people on deadline day our current squad will get us through the first few league games while they settle in.

I’m confident things are in place and there will be a couple of head turning surprises turn up pretty soon. Even if we signed no one, Costa never played towards the end and Cav only had a few big part roles and neither fit our system any more, it’s not like we’ve lost two important first teamers that’s left us with a weakened starting XI.

Just goes to show that players aren't signed until they're signed, no?

For all the good the Locadia saga did us, we may as well have not bothered- ditto Zinchenko last year.

I’m confident things are in place and there will be a couple of head turning surprises turn up pretty soon. Even if we signed no one, Costa never played towards the end and Cav only had a few big part roles and neither fit our system any more, it’s not like we’ve lost two important first teamers that’s left us with a weakened starting XI.

I'm not at all confident that anything's in place. I'm pretty hopeful that things will be in place by the 8th, but now? Nah.

If we enter the season with our squad as threadbare as it currently is, we're fucked- one unlucky injury to anyone could cripple our season.

And signing either did us no harm, I don’t see why people keep banging on about them.

And signing either did us no harm, I don’t see why people keep banging on about them.

The Zinchenko thing didn't end up mattering because Doherty ended up playing out of his skin all season, but that was by no means a sure thing, and a long-term injury to Doherty would have been really bad news last season. Ditto Bonatini for Locadia.

We were lucky on both occasions.

Back