• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Summer 2016 Window Thread

As I said above, I'm quite enjoying the absurdity of some of the players mentioned by apparently "ITK" journos.
Last year we were being linked with players like Chris Wood and Matt Smith AGAIN but this time round it has been Nélson Oliveira, Mario Balotelli, Anderson Talsica and Luisão. It isn't boring!

As I said above, I'm quite enjoying the absurdity of some of the players mentioned by apparently "ITK" journos.
Last year we were being linked with players like Chris Wood and Matt Smith AGAIN but this time round it has been Nélson Oliveira, Mario Balotelli, Anderson Talsica and Luisão. It isn't boring!

Me too, crackers but enjoyable.

Me too, crackers but enjoyable.

I was out last night playing pool and the lads (Man U, Sunderland, Spurs and Liverpool fans) were all talking about Wolves with me and especially about the link to Luisão...It's great that fans of pretty big teams* are wanting to talk about what's happening at Wolves and are really interested and expecting us to return to the big time quite soon

*Sunderland, big team? I know ;)

Personally, I think we tried to sign Talisca but for whatever reason (that we may never know) it didn't work out. Very, very ambitious, sure - but I can't believe there were *THAT* many rumours from respected Portuguese sources over nothing.

Saying "it's never going to happen, stop talking about it" is rather irritating though, unless of course you have some actual information to share about why it'll 'never happen'? Fine, he may have decided not to drop to the Championship or whatever, but it was more than worthy of being something to discuss and get excited about. I'd have loved it if he came here but if he doesn't, we move on. There will be more signings, and no doubt some will be very exciting.

I don't think some of our fans (speaking more broadly here, this isn't directed at anyone in particular) have quite grasped the fact we have money to spend and don't have to budget anywhere near as carefully as last season. Of course, it's important to bring in the right players as opposed to anyone, but even so - we've got plenty to spend, and frankly it shouldn't matter to us as supporters how large the transfer fees are. I guess it's just getting used to a very different way of doing business.

Sunderland do sell more XXL replica shirts than all of the other sizes tbf.

FWIW I think we probably have been in the running for Talisca but delays have drawn interest that will have be more attractive. As for Balotelli
he is every worst aspect of modern football wrapped into one arrogant entity. Yeah I have seen him play well a couple of times but I think he is
not as talented as he thinks or the prats who have spent millions on him. If he played in a trial in his default mode they wouldnt take him at
Gornal Athletic at £35 a game.
I like the way its going but we need a couple of experienced championship players to deal with the Ipswiches of the world.

I like the way its going but we need a couple of experienced championship players to deal with the Ipswiches of the world.

I'm not sure we do TBH. We need better players than we already have. The required bottle to play in this league, sure - but they don't have to have experience of the league.

Hi guys. New member and a Benfica fan. First of wall its a pleasure to be here, debating football at the fórum of such an iconic club.

My main goal here is to guide you through this all Mendes brotherwood thing. Its not easy at first and i wish someone had done the same to me when we joined it.

So a few news from the mark:

-Luisao is unlikely to join wolves. Do not worry, at his age he would be a terrible fit to the pacy championship.

-Talisca is joining Besiktas. So glad he left. Apart from being a mediocre CAM he was also a snitch to Jorge Jesus the entire last season.

-Ola John and Oliveira are likely to go on loan. Those 2 i guess you know well.

Any other doubts feel free to ask away.

I was out last night playing pool and the lads (Man U, Sunderland, Spurs and Liverpool fans) were all talking about Wolves with me and especially about the link to Luisão...It's great that fans of pretty big teams* are wanting to talk about what's happening at Wolves and are really interested and expecting us to return to the big time quite soon

*Sunderland, big team? I know ;)
My pool mates who I saw last night are all Derby, Forest and Burton STHs. They haven't got a scooby what's happening at Wolves! Other than mentioning the Chris Martin bid.

We didn't draw on Tuesday because of experience we just weren't good enough

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

You know about as much as Tim Spiers though.

Hi guys. New member and a Benfica fan. First of wall its a pleasure to be here, debating football at the fórum of such an iconic club.

My main goal here is to guide you through this all Mendes brotherwood thing. Its not easy at first and i wish someone had done the same to me when we joined it.

So a few news from the mark:

-Luisao is unlikely to join wolves. Do not worry, at his age he would be a terrible fit to the pacy championship.

-Talisca is joining Besiktas. So glad he left. Apart from being a mediocre CAM he was also a snitch to Jorge Jesus the entire last season.

-Ola John and Oliveira are likely to go on loan. Those 2 i guess you know well.

Any other doubts feel free to ask away.

Welcome to the forum.

http://www.dn.pt/desporto/benfica/i...tas-e-forca-saida-para-a-turquia-5344023.html

Besiktas interested but can't afford him. Shock horror.

Wolves bid accepted but (quite understandably) stalling for a better option.

If this is true (I think we need to take any report coming out of the Portuguese press with a pinch of salt) then I just think we have to go about our business, strengthen where we need to strengthen but leave our offer on the table. If he finds a better offer he'll take it, if he doesn't he'll sign for us at the end of the window. Nothing to get particularly worked up about, if he signs for us then great but if he doesn't, he doesn't and certainly no need for 'I told you so' bollocks.

http://www.dn.pt/desporto/benfica/i...tas-e-forca-saida-para-a-turquia-5344023.html

Besiktas interested but can't afford him. Shock horror.

Wolves bid accepted but (quite understandably) stalling for a better option.

If this is true (I think we need to take any report coming out of the Portuguese press with a pinch of salt) then I just think we have to go about our business, strengthen where we need to strengthen but leave our offer on the table. If he finds a better offer he'll take it, if he doesn't he'll sign for us at the end of the window. Nothing to get particularly worked up about, if he signs for us then great but if he doesn't, he doesn't and certainly no need for 'I told you so' bollocks.

Spot on. And as we've signed several players since the rumour first broke, it's clear we aren't just focussing on one player.

Yes. Welcome, SLB. Hopefully, you guys at Benfica will be taking some of our better players in return. One favour deserves another.

Starting with Welsh international David Edwards.

I'm not sure we do TBH. We need better players than we already have. The required bottle to play in this league, sure - but they don't have to have experience of the league.
I know what you're saying but the best way to meet your criteria is someone has done it, anything else is at least a bit of a gamble.

I know what you're saying but the best way to meet your criteria is someone has done it, anything else is at least a bit of a gamble.

Only this isn't true. Players added from outside are the difference in any promoted side in the championship. The core may be experienced but they are also the reason to not get promoted as they are at their limit.

Burnley bought Andre Grey from Palace, Boro bought all sorts of players from the Prem (given they bought the best striker in the league too) and Hull's big signings were Sam Clucas from Chesterfield and Ryan Taylor form Newcastle, both had little, if any, experience of the Championship.

You could argue that all 3 of these teams had a core of players that would have been competitive in the Championship but it was the purchases that took them up. If you take that forward then if you were to populate the team with 10 new signings that are all better quality than you have now it renders the experience argument null and void.

The best way is to buy good players!

I'm not saying we shouldn't buy players with Championship experience, but it's not a pre-requisite.

Back