• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Stoke 0 - Wolves 2 FA Cup surprise result verdict thread

I said earlier i would do a full review so here goes. A tremendous day with a superb performance and superb fans backing them. It just seemed like one of those days where it was going to be ours from the start. We played with such an intensity and most of all had a shape when defending with Saville and Evans infront of the centre backs and then the either had a line of 3 infront of them or Costa and Mason dropped to make it a 4 and from the very back row of the stand it was clear to see. That can only be a massive positive. Every single player was fantastic at some point which doesn't happen very often but several like Hause, Evans, Ikeme and Doherty stood out.

Crouch should have scored at 1-0 before half time after a fantastic cross but that was the only chance Stoke had all first half and was their best chance of the game. Despite Ikeme making excellent saves in the second half, Stoke never created a clear cut chance.

Ikeme - I'll start with the only negative and that is his distribution which again wasn't fantastic but he made up for it with 4 or 5 saves in the second half, at least 2 were world class particularly the one from Arnautovic. Stoke had all those shots in one period and apart from then was relatively untroubled.

Iorfa - Started a little sloppy and Arnautovic bamboozled him with a little dummy but then the old Iorfa came back. Got forward fantastically well 3 or 4 times but his end product let him down but it was good to see and he defended well in the main. Went off injured towards the end and hopefully he's fine.

Williamson - Looked like he had been playing all season, solid and composed. Looked to play out from the back and used the ball intelligently, will be a massive player if he can now stay fit.

Hause - Absolutely terrific. One of if not the best player on the pitch. Crouch had one chance and that was just because it was a fantastic cross but apart from that Hause dealt with him like an old pro. Got in his head and didn't let him have it easy. So good in the air and passed out from the back well. Has to play with Williamson for me, we can't be letting players of this calibre sit on the bench. He headed everything and made some top notch blocks in the second half.

Doherty - Not very often i say this but he defended well and got forward well and then topped it off with a fantastic free kick. Shaqiri didn't bother him at all and he dealt with everything. Had one shot that he blazed over that usually he would hit the target with but obviously made up for it.

Saville - Dodgy first 20 minutes but grew in to the game and in the end had a good game picking up the pieces and playing simple. Ended at left back where he didn't have a lot to do and was beat a couple of times but was fine.

Evans - Always rated him and anyone who saw the game will see why. Dominated the ball in the first half and always available. Played one ball to Costa which created a chance for Bod that was outstanding. He won tackles, played quickly, intercepted, took 2 corners and the one which he whipped in was top quality. Another like Williamson that played like he hadn't been away and has to be in the squad for sure. I'd play him personally.

Costa - What a player. Booked early on for a cheap foul but from then was a constant threat on the counter. His goal was superb, beat a man who could have brought him down and then hit a shot to the near post which beat Grant. Would have had a tap in had Dicko squared a chance at the end but unfortunately he didn't. We've got to move heaven and earth to sign him if we can.

Bright - Was outstanding in the first 25 minutes, he looked like the Bright that plays in the under 23's. Carried the ball well, linked play and looked such a threat. Had less impact no the game as it went on but really showed signs today that he is getting there.

Mason - Did what he was in the team to do and did it well. Nothing outstanding but just solid and that was vital in it's own way. He's a good option to have in the squad when he can fill in wide as well as upfront and in the hole.

Bod - Back to the Bod of old, how he didn't score in the first half i'm not sure. He had to hit the target after first Evans and Costa had done created a chance for him but then an even better chance when he created his own and ran 40 yards with the ball only to put it wide. Tired but never gave up and was probably coming off until Iorfa got injured but then went again and combined with Dicko to win the free kick for Doc's goal.

SUBS

Gibbs-White - What a day for the lad and introduced himself with a crunching tackle. As long as everything goes smoothly he's going to be a player. He played some intelligent passes and was confident on the ball and caused Johnson problems. He worked hard and did everything Mason was doing. Fantastic to see him involved and he will get more chances.

Edwards - Came on for Bright who was tiring and gave us a bit of energy and got the crowd buzzing even more with his song. Didn't get involved a lot but his work rate helped.

Dicko - Eventful last few minutes. Combined well with Bod in the lead up to the free kick but then had 2 glorious chances. I think he should have squared the first one as he had 3 up with him but you could see he was desperate for a goal and his second effort looked in but narrowly went wide. He's not the Dicko of old but would love him to get a goal.

It was an amazing day and it just shows we have got ability in this squad. Stoke were poor first half but we made them poor and were well worth the win. Who said the FA Cup doesn't matter, it fucking does and it meant a lot today.

Brilliant stuff Slink, thanks mate.

We do have some good players, it'll take time but I don't care what anyone says, this is miles better than this time last year.

That was absolutely ace. Best performance I've seen in at least a year. I'll post a full review tomorrow when I'm properly sober and not euphoric and slightly pissed.

Suffice to say Iorfa, Willo and Costa were outstanding but it's Hause who was my MotM.

Really great day..

Those highlights are bullshit!! They make it look like Stoke were all over us and that wasn't the case. Where were our chances in the first half and where was the Crouch chance? Whoever put that package together needs sacking. It wasn't a pen, it was in the area but Shaqiri definitely dived and the referee knew he had made a mistake so gave a free kick. Even from well down the other end you could see Shaqiri going down before Saville got near him.

thanks Slink, brilliant reading

Outstanding saves from Carl there.

Amazing how much difference one old head can make to the whole set up. It was great to watch Williamson he had Hause and Iorfa on a bit of string constantly at them, pulling Saville and Evans around, so calm and in control of everything really rubbed off on the team. Lambert has the makings of something good, we have seen three 18 yr olds and a 16 yr old make debuts under him. Alot is spoke about the academy and how much we invested great to see a manager not scared to use it.

Our defence was much better with Willo in it last time as well, even with Batth alongside him.

I said earlier i would do a full review so here goes. A tremendous day with a superb performance and superb fans backing them. It just seemed like one of those days where it was going to be ours from the start. We played with such an intensity and most of all had a shape when defending with Saville and Evans infront of the centre backs and then the either had a line of 3 infront of them or Costa and Mason dropped to make it a 4 and from the very back row of the stand it was clear to see. That can only be a massive positive. Every single player was fantastic at some point which doesn't happen very often but several like Hause, Evans, Ikeme and Doherty stood out.

Crouch should have scored at 1-0 before half time after a fantastic cross but that was the only chance Stoke had all first half and was their best chance of the game. Despite Ikeme making excellent saves in the second half, Stoke never created a clear cut chance.

Ikeme - I'll start with the only negative and that is his distribution which again wasn't fantastic but he made up for it with 4 or 5 saves in the second half, at least 2 were world class particularly the one from Arnautovic. Stoke had all those shots in one period and apart from then was relatively untroubled.

Iorfa - Started a little sloppy and Arnautovic bamboozled him with a little dummy but then the old Iorfa came back. Got forward fantastically well 3 or 4 times but his end product let him down but it was good to see and he defended well in the main. Went off injured towards the end and hopefully he's fine.

Williamson - Looked like he had been playing all season, solid and composed. Looked to play out from the back and used the ball intelligently, will be a massive player if he can now stay fit.

Hause - Absolutely terrific. One of if not the best player on the pitch. Crouch had one chance and that was just because it was a fantastic cross but apart from that Hause dealt with him like an old pro. Got in his head and didn't let him have it easy. So good in the air and passed out from the back well. Has to play with Williamson for me, we can't be letting players of this calibre sit on the bench. He headed everything and made some top notch blocks in the second half.

Doherty - Not very often i say this but he defended well and got forward well and then topped it off with a fantastic free kick. Shaqiri didn't bother him at all and he dealt with everything. Had one shot that he blazed over that usually he would hit the target with but obviously made up for it.

Saville - Dodgy first 20 minutes but grew in to the game and in the end had a good game picking up the pieces and playing simple. Ended at left back where he didn't have a lot to do and was beat a couple of times but was fine.

Evans - Always rated him and anyone who saw the game will see why. Dominated the ball in the first half and always available. Played one ball to Costa which created a chance for Bod that was outstanding. He won tackles, played quickly, intercepted, took 2 corners and the one which he whipped in was top quality. Another like Williamson that played like he hadn't been away and has to be in the squad for sure. I'd play him personally.

Costa - What a player. Booked early on for a cheap foul but from then was a constant threat on the counter. His goal was superb, beat a man who could have brought him down and then hit a shot to the near post which beat Grant. Would have had a tap in had Dicko squared a chance at the end but unfortunately he didn't. We've got to move heaven and earth to sign him if we can.

Bright - Was outstanding in the first 25 minutes, he looked like the Bright that plays in the under 23's. Carried the ball well, linked play and looked such a threat. Had less impact no the game as it went on but really showed signs today that he is getting there.

Mason - Did what he was in the team to do and did it well. Nothing outstanding but just solid and that was vital in it's own way. He's a good option to have in the squad when he can fill in wide as well as upfront and in the hole.

Bod - Back to the Bod of old, how he didn't score in the first half i'm not sure. He had to hit the target after first Evans and Costa had done created a chance for him but then an even better chance when he created his own and ran 40 yards with the ball only to put it wide. Tired but never gave up and was probably coming off until Iorfa got injured but then went again and combined with Dicko to win the free kick for Doc's goal.

SUBS

Gibbs-White - What a day for the lad and introduced himself with a crunching tackle. As long as everything goes smoothly he's going to be a player. He played some intelligent passes and was confident on the ball and caused Johnson problems. He worked hard and did everything Mason was doing. Fantastic to see him involved and he will get more chances.

Edwards - Came on for Bright who was tiring and gave us a bit of energy and got the crowd buzzing even more with his song. Didn't get involved a lot but his work rate helped.

Dicko - Eventful last few minutes. Combined well with Bod in the lead up to the free kick but then had 2 glorious chances. I think he should have squared the first one as he had 3 up with him but you could see he was desperate for a goal and his second effort looked in but narrowly went wide. He's not the Dicko of old but would love him to get a goal.

It was an amazing day and it just shows we have got ability in this squad. Stoke were poor first half but we made them poor and were well worth the win. Who said the FA Cup doesn't matter, it $#@!ing does and it meant a lot today.

Wow just wow. My hope for the future just took a massive jump forwards

Boy, did we need that. Brilliant performance, brilliant result, but for me, Williamson being in the side is the best and most important thing about today by a mile.

Here's an image I thought I'd never see:

59f773208edfb5e28114e3980c0c14b1.jpg

Ikeme best game this season. Iorfa, best game for months. Doherty best defensive performance this season. Hause best game for months. Williamson back. Coincidence?

What crap highlights, didn't show any of our 1st half chances, just talking about Ikeme being the difference.....no mention about Costa's goal which was another cracker, at least Docs freekick got a mention

The oatcake forum is hilarious makes the mix look normal.
Another inaccurate highlights package from the Beeb made us look like we spent most the game parking the bus which is a load of bollocks.

I hope you are right.
No doubt about it but we will probably nurse him through the next month. One 45 mins in 13 months or so before doing 90 mins will hurt. Last thing we need is to push him to much and risk an injury. If that means we have to go back to the calamity defence for 1 game then so be it.

I reckon Batth will return but Williamson to stay put v Villa.

Back