• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Relegation Thread 2023/24

One or two of the teams in serious trouble always seem to pull a rabbit out of their hat, or at least make it more interesting than you'd expect.

Wouldn't mind it if Burnley or Luton figured it out a bit. Really hard to see it, though.

Luton have a big 3 games Bournemouth, Sheff U and Newcastle. It's all very well having heroic defeats, but if they don't get a win from those it's all literally and figuratively pointless

Last edited:
Still think you’ll need about 34 points to stay up, as Alan says the bottom 3 tend to pick up unexpected wins when desperation hits. Especially combined with playing sides in beach mode, from our point of view we should be able to sleep walk to 15 points from now on in.

Still think you’ll need about 34 points to stay up, as Alan says the bottom 3 tend to pick up unexpected wins when desperation hits. Especially combined with playing sides in beach mode, from our point of view we should be able to sleep walk to 15 points from now on in.
That's 8 wins minimum for the bottom 3. I just don't see that at all.

I think 28 is the best any of the bottom 3 will do at best and that involves some run of form from any of them.

We’re only two games short of half way and 18th placed Luton have 9 points. I really don’t see any of them more than doubling their points return in the next 20 games. 30 points will almost certainly be enough.

That's 8 wins minimum for the bottom 3. I just don't see that at all.

I think 28 is the best any of the bottom 3 will do at best and that involves some run of form from any of them.

Things change as the season progresses especially once you get to the latter stages of cups etc plus sides going into beach mode.
You might well be right nevertheless I wouldn’t be surprised if someone gets a few surprising results.

Easily if they can continue anything like their current form.
Would there be any other sanctions such as having to sell players or not be allowed to buy any?
The administrator would be appointed to maximise revenue to pay off creditors so that would involve selling players. I've not read the detail because I don't like giving them a click if I can help it, but it'd be tight for that to happen in Jan I'd have thought. More likely an issue for next Summer if they've not got their ownership sorted by then. From everything you read about the group that are trying to buy them, it wouldn't surprise me if they let them go and then bought them out at a discounted rate

Last edited:
If they actually did go into admin then they sell everything that isn't nailed down.

777 are trying to blackmail the authorities with Armageddon threats if the deal isn’t approved quickly.

The interest rate on the current loans they have given to Everton is supposed to be seriously punitive. And I have no idea how Everton are supposed to pay it back without the takeover.

They could survive the actual 9 point deduction of course, but if they have to sell everything in January (which an admin will do) then the team on the pitch which is in good form would be broken up. Then trouble ensues.

Forest over Christmas:

Bournemouth (H)
Newcastle (A)
Man Utd (H)

Don't win at least one of them and Cooper is gone surely.

They’ll fight their way to one win probably against Bournemouth or Utd. They’ve resorted to 5 at the back, long throws and kick the shit out of the opponent football. Not exactly a long term solution but it might keep him in a job for another month

They probably only need to be better than Luton to survive, but the owner wants way more than 17th place. In some ways fair enough as the spend has been ridiculous for no obvious return.

Sheff U burning the game tonight to hold back for Luton. Villa are a couple of hours of being top of the PL

Back