• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Relegation Thread 2023/24

We beat Bournemouth and Everton, and shitty decisions cost us against Luton and Sheff Utd though.
Thing is we were pretty poor in all those games and can hardly complain about the points we racked up, so I don’t think anyone is approaching the next few matches with over-confidence. Anyway, I’m definitely not pessimistic and we’ll see how things look Saturday evening. 6 points better off hopefully, why not.

I don’t think we’ve looked good against any of the bottom teams was more my point, we were trash against Everton and not much better against Bournemouth. Considering we were excellent against City, Spurs and Newcastle it’s weird. It’s also giving them hand outs.

Last edited:
I mean let's say we get 5 points from the six games (Burnley, Forest, West Ham, Chelsea, Brentford and Everton) which would be miles below par in my book.

It'd still leave us on 20 points from 20 games and running at 1PPG this season will have you nowhere near danger. Bournemouth and Forest are currently below that but also six points above the relegation zone.

Bet365 as it stands:

Sheff U 1/14
Luton 1/4
Burnley 8/13
Everton 5/2
Bournemouth 5/1
Nottm Forest 11/2
Fulham 9/1
Wolves 12/1
Crystal Palace 16/1
100/1 bar

Not sure why Palace are appreciably longer than us when they're one point better off and have scored far fewer goals with far more favourable home games used up, but whatever.

Bet365 as it stands:

Sheff U 1/14
Luton 1/4
Burnley 8/13
Everton 5/2
Bournemouth 5/1
Nottm Forest 11/2
Fulham 9/1
Wolves 12/1
Crystal Palace 16/1
100/1 bar

Not sure why Palace are appreciably longer than us when they're one point better off and have scored far fewer goals with far more favourable home games used up, but whatever.
images.jpeg
Go get the Saunders comment on bookies never being wrong..

View attachment 8954
Go get the Saunders comment on bookies never being wrong..
That one is on "the boys at Ladbrokes". They made the rookie error of looking at our squad and the gap to the bottom three and said yeah, no chance. They didn't factor in football's Liz Truss and his magical work.

We're certainly not safe by any stretch but we'd have to be really crap for a good portion of the rest of the season. We must start playing better against the rest of the dross and beating some of them. Lose the next 2 and alarm bells will be crashing.

I don’t think Fulham, Luton, Palace, Sheff Utd, Man United deserved to win the game against us and were “rubbish”, but they still got all the points (except Luton). With it only being Everton where we’ve won and didn’t deserve to, I think we are allowed that one…

If more fine margins go our way (and VAR), then we will be even further clear. Yes we haven’t been great against the “poorer teams”, but neither were they. Think that’s just the nature of the league.

I don’t think Fulham, Luton, Palace, Sheff Utd, Man United deserved to win the game against us and were “rubbish”, but they still got all the points (except Luton). With it only being Everton where we’ve won and didn’t deserve to, I think we are allowed that one…

If more fine margins go our way (and VAR), then we will be even further clear. Yes we haven’t been great against the “poorer teams”, but neither were they. Think that’s just the nature of the league.
Fulham, Palace and Sheffield United certainly did deserve to win. We were mince in all of them.

Luton were good value for their point as we were crap then too. Probably GoN's worst game.

I agree with Utd but that's still only a draw at best.

I certainly wouldn't say Fulham deserved to win. The last minute penalty doesn't get given so it finishes 2-2 and I'm not thinking "wow, we got away with one there".

I didn't see Sheff Utd but they had two shots on target all game? And an obviously wrong penalty to win it.

We had more than enough chances to beat Man Utd and they had hardly any, not just draw with the non-penalty.

Agreed we dug our own grave at Palace with retreating at 1-1 for no reason and we were fortunate to get as much as a point from Luton as we were very poor.

Fulham, Palace and Sheffield United certainly did deserve to win. We were mince in all of them.

Luton were good value for their point as we were crap then too. Probably GoN's worst game.

I agree with Utd but that's still only a draw at best.

We were rubbish yes, but I don’t think the opposition were better.

Fulham 100% didn’t deserve to win. We should have been out of sight against Sheffield United and both their goals were lucky/shit decision.

I don’t think Palace were any good either. We were definitely controlling the game up until the goal without doing anything.

Fulham 100% didn’t deserve to win. We should have been out of sight against Sheffield United and both their goals were lucky/shit decision.

I don’t think Palace were any good either. We were definitely controlling the game up until the goal without doing anything.
Fulham had way more possession than us, more shots, better xg and pretty much any other metric you can think of

I don't agree with you on Fulham, we could've been 3 down after 20 minutes.

Sheffield United were better than us in the second half and I think deserved it, bad penalty or not.

We were shocking at Palace, not sure what you were watching there, we were never in control.

I don't agree with you on Fulham, we could've been 3 down after 20 minutes.
We deserved to beat Liverpool on that metric then as we should have been at least 3-0 up at HT.

I certainly wouldn't say Fulham deserved to win. The last minute penalty doesn't get given so it finishes 2-2 and I'm not thinking "wow, we got away with one there".

I didn't see Sheff Utd but they had two shots on target all game? And an obviously wrong penalty to win it.

We had more than enough chances to beat Man Utd and they had hardly any, not just draw with the non-penalty.

Agreed we dug our own grave at Palace with retreating at 1-1 for no reason and we were fortunate to get as much as a point from Luton as we were very poor.
Agree with you on Utd but I still only think it leads to a draw.

Disagree on Fulham, thought GoN got it completely wrong with his daft 4-4-2 and Doc sub.

Back