• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

REFERENDUM RESULTS AND DISCUSSION THREAD

I don't really want a second ref. If it's that, May's Deal or No Deal, I'd take it, but:

a) People are fucking thick
b) I don't want the likes of Farage back in the fold, bawling out their nonsense
c) What's on the ballot
d) Who is deciding c)

Remain has to be on the page as far as I'm concerned.

If we have to have one the best 2nd referendum suggestion I've heard is that there are 3 options:
Remain
May Deal or Customs Union
No Deal

If remain gets over 50% it wins. If not we go with the higher of the other two options

You couldn't really have that, surely.

Remain 49%
No Deal 26%
CU 25%

We leave with No Deal. It's mental.

It's bad enough that we've spent three years having a minority Tory Government try to rule as if they're Tudor monarchs.

The other thing is I can definitely see the SNP going for indyref 2 as well. Blackford was clearly agitating for it tonight.

Of course they should, Scotland was 63% Remain and that's with Glasgow being lazy wankers who never turn out properly. Clearly things have changed materially since 2015 (which Cameron won by fluke, and was indescribably smug about it, the knob).

T Bag will no doubt say they have had their vote and shouldn’t be allowed another as that is an affront to the democratic process.

See, people say "if May goes it solves nothing, you could end up with someone worse". I don't actually think you could. I've never seen anyone, whether in politics, business or general life, so badly adjusted and so unwilling to debate. If you disagree with her it doesn't count. It's an absurd state of affairs.

I have no time for any of (just to pick examples) Raab, Gove or Javid, but I don't think they'd be anything like so obstinate and unwilling to at least bloody listen. What we have is a genuine weirdo with no social skills whatsoever. When you chuck in that she's a racist authoritarian who is also a bit thick and a terrible politician, I don't see how you could do worse. Even a personable racist wouldn't be so perpetually boneheaded. (Hi Boris)

So the Independent Group or Change UK if you want to call them that, set themselves out to be a new style party moving away from the old style tribal politics. How did they vote? Dug their heels in just for what they want (Referendum or Revoke) and voted against both the Common Market 2.0 and the Customs Union.

Both would have had clear majorities with them on board, the customs union even greater with the SNP in tow.

Would May not just have ignored these indicative votes anyway? They might have piled more pressure on her but she's so tin eared I doubt she would have budged from her "my way or the no-deal highway" approach.

Blackford said last night that the SNP would back both Customs Union and CM 2.0 if they were choices on Wednesday. Which would give them the majority they needed.

He also mentioned they would back Kyle-Wilson first above all other options as they are still a Remain Party.

I think those will be the three votes on Wednesday and I think TIG will abstain or vote for one of the options rather than against as they have done las night.

Would May not just have ignored these indicative votes anyway? They might have piled more pressure on her but she's so tin eared I doubt she would have budged from her "my way or the no-deal highway" approach.
Likelihood is she'd run her deal off against it in an either/vote.

Oliver Letwin seems to be abandoning the indicative votes plan for Wednesday. MP's instead to look at ways of avoiding no deal.

Beth Rigby

@BethRigby
NEW: Told Letwin et al have no plans for Indicative Votes on Weds. Instead trying to pave way for Cooper bill to be laid on Thurs to legislate against No Deal & mandate govt to put forward proposal. But mood grim. MP tells me Letwin is now “90% sure we’ll drop out with No Deal”

As a remainer I could tolerate leaving with a customs union

Leaving with no deal is just mental

I seriously fear for this country if we do crash out with no deal. People have no concept of how bad it could be and the recriminations from the angry faction could be very nasty.

Meanwhile the JRMs of the world will be fine.

I seriously fear for this country if we do crash out with no deal. People have no concept of how bad it could be and the recriminations from the angry faction could be very nasty.

Listening to him yesterday in Parliament, this really is all a game to him. Odious creature.

https://www.politicshome.com/news/uk/foreign-affairs/brexit/news/102999/uks-top-civil-servant-issues-stark-no-deal-brexit-warning
In spite of these warnings, cameron the cunt still called the referendum. Fucking fuckwit idiot that he is, and accepting zero responsibility really makes me fucking angry. Direct rule for NI, 1%+ increases in food prices, numerous businesses requesting government bailouts, currency depreciation and so much more, FFS.

The ridiculous aspect is remainers are now saying they'd accept customs union etc. Seems like if we accept that, we're basically just giving up our vetoes etc.

This is becoming more insane every single day. And both in the UK, and the EU most people feel accidental no deal is now the most likely outcome.

If/when we do, then the blame will be shifted to Labour for not opposing (not a 100% unfair criticism but I digress), the EU for 'stitching us up' etc. Weird what happens when you give more power and more responsibility to a bunch of morally reprehensible, self serving cunts who have refused to accept any responsibility for the absolute chaos they've created.

I agree with you, Tredders - I'm seriously worried about what is going to happen.

I think it all depends how bad it actually is in terms of economic impacts, further austerity etc.

if it's really bad then there shouldn't really be a hiding place for those that said it would all be fine.

mogg talked about 50 years before the country saw the benefits, but that's not going to be any sort of defence if it's a real shitfest.
the blame game will be the attempt to push it on the EU for not giving a 'fair' deal and whether anyone buys that baloney.

the EU has been a convenient excuse and distraction for not dealing with domestic issues, wealth gap etc.
so removal of that layer may get people closer to some sort of truth.

Back