• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

REFERENDUM RESULTS AND DISCUSSION THREAD

I've felt we are going to run into no deal through ineptitude for a while now.

In the long run I see this as 10ish years of economic pain before a return to the EU, ending up with no veto and joining the euro.

Well snap election looks increasingly unlikely as Corbyn has a big lead in a poll commissioned by the Heil. Also sounds like conservative mps and ministers would vote against the motion for self protection purposes.

Well snap election looks increasingly unlikely as Corbyn has a big lead in a poll commissioned by the Heil. Also sounds like conservative mps and ministers would vote against the motion for self protection purposes.

I suppose she could call a vote of no confidence in her own govt and whip them to vote for it. It would be hilarious and highly unlikely but you'd be a fool to write anything off in this climate.

I suppose she could call a vote of no confidence in her own govt and whip them to vote for it. It would be hilarious and highly unlikely but you'd be a fool to write anything off in this climate.

The idea that the Prime Minister would call and then vote in favour of a no confidence in her own government would be the pinnacle of absurdity. It’s going to happen isn’t it.....

If that isn't against the rules of parliament (which I guess it isn't) it actually wouldn't surprise me.

In other news, noticed that the petition to revoke article 50 has pretty much stagnated around the 6 million mark. Another petition to honour the 2016 referendum has just over a hundred thousand signatories.

The will of the people...

Labour whipping for Kyle-Wilson confirmatory referendum, Common Market 2.0

Labour whipping for Kyle-Wilson confirmatory referendum, Common Market 2.0

Good, although I thought 'customs union' was their latest mantra.

No revoke option today, presumably because they're going to debate the petition?

In other news, noticed that the petition to revoke article 50 has pretty much stagnated around the 6 million mark. Another petition to honour the 2016 referendum has just over a hundred thousand signatories.

The will of the people...

Them think leavers do know how to use that internet thingy, innit.

Common Sense comment....what is happening here

Shadow foreign secretary Emily Thornberry has been speaking on the BBC News channel.

She says the issue of freedom of movement means the party is not “comfortable” with the idea of being in the single market.

“We’ve said throughout, for the last couple of years, it’s difficult for us to be in the single market.”

But “we’re trying to find a compromise” she says, “so therefore we will be voting for things which are broadly in line with our new policy, even things that are not exactly in line with our policy".

The Common Market 2.0 option is “going to be better than Theresa May’s deal, and certainly better than no deal, so we will be voting for that," she says.

Robert Peston

@Peston
So @CiceroGlobal have crunched the numbers and have @NickBoles's Common Market 2.0 motion winning by 307 to 253, now that Labour are whipping in favour of it. As the least Brexity of all the Brexit options, that would put an enormous predatory cat among the Tory pigeons...

I love this stuff

She goes on to say that the indicative votes last week demonstrated that "there is no agreed way forward".

She says the prime minister's deal remains the best one on offer.

So a vote rejected 2.5 times is fine to keep bringing back but anything else voted on is dead the moment it has happened

I love this stuff

So a vote rejected 2.5 times is fine to keep bringing back but anything else voted on is dead the moment it has happened

And ignoring the fact that the entire Cabinet abstained on all eight votes.

I see the ERG members who "wobbled" and voted for the Withdrawal agreement are now moving back to their original stance of rejecting the deal.

May to parliament: "we will engage constructively with the indicative votes process"
May to cabinet "everyone abstain/disengage with the indicative votes process".

Some conservatives will not come out of this well. The party looks excessively self serving. Numerous people only voted for Mays deal last time as they thought it would make her resign.

Camerons master plan to unionise his party has backfired spectacularly. Unfortunately the side effects are felt by us all.

Motions selected.

Clarke (Customs Union)
Boles (Common Market 2.0)
Kyle (Peoples confirmatory vote)
Cherry (Parliamentary Supremacy - Revoke Article 50)

MPs have voted for the Business of the House motion 322 votes to 277.

Anyone know who May is backing to win the Grand National at the weekend? Be good to know so we can all avoid putting a £1 on that horse

Back