• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

REFERENDUM RESULTS AND DISCUSSION THREAD

katya adler
‏ @BBCkatyaadler
I’m being briefed by a senior source that when the PM stood in front of the 27 EU leaders at summit yesterday “it was almost as if she wanted them to press the button (of a no deal #Brexit)

So essentially after having a go at the MP's she then decided to try and make the EU call the shots so she could blame them (and probably have another dig at the MP's). Not my fault Guv'nor...

For me, the date doesn't really make too much difference. I don't see anything hugely changing in a few months.

A no-deal brexit hurts everyone in Europe but is the EU giving an extension the first chink of light to show the EU softening somewhat.

Given that we're not an insignificant portion of more than one EU countries exports I do wonder if the EU are as scared of a no-deal Brexit as we are.

Petition tops 3 million signatures.

No 10 statement has effectively said the petition is irrelevant.

May is isolating herself from every potential ally as far as I can see. Bizarre behaviour. Everything is the opposite of leadership.

Looks like indicative votes and revocation is one of the options so I would say it has plenty of relevance.

Looks like indicative votes and revocation is one of the options so I would say it has plenty of relevance.

Not to the robot in charge though.

What is put up in the terms of amendments to her "deal" will not really be based on the petition either. No way will the HoC vote to revoke. Best we are going to get is a 2nd ref.

The only way they vote to revoke is if it is literally the only way to avoid no deal. Extremely unlikely otherwise

For me, the date doesn't really make too much difference. I don't see anything hugely changing in a few months.

A no-deal brexit hurts everyone in Europe but is the EU giving an extension the first chink of light to show the EU softening somewhat.

Given that we're not an insignificant portion of more than one EU countries exports I do wonder if the EU are as scared of a no-deal Brexit as we are.

They don't want a no deal as who in their right mind (apart from the UK) would through choice make their citizens worse off? For them its a few Euro's per head of Capita whereas for us its a significant sum. They don't want no deal but they're not frightened by it either.

As for softening their stance, what do you think that they should soften? A commitment to peace and no hard border in Ireland or protecting the interests of the 27 nations that want to remain in the EU?

Looks to me that the only ways to avert disaster is for May to change her mind (lolz) or for enough Tories to see sense and put the good of the country ahead of their own self interests and above party politics (bigger lolz) in order to get rid of her.

Neither is going to happen.

Never going to be anything of relevence, so no surprise

Oh I know & agree. I think the lack of self awareness is truly astounding in that a vote on x is binding when the result suits, but a vote on y isn't binding and can be run again when it doesn't.
Similarly numerous other double standards are being repeatedly carried out.

Looks to me that the only ways to avert disaster is for May to change her mind (lolz) or for enough Tories to see sense and put the good of the country ahead of their own self interests and above party politics (bigger lolz) in order to get rid of her.

Neither is going to happen.

For me it is starting to look like either no deal owing to mays stubborn-ness, or she is removed and a GE is called and a long extension is agreed. Looking at the EU comments from last night, they're genuinely confused as to what is happening in westminster. It's almost like they're sending a message to parliament saying "FFS, remove her and get a government of national interest or something, then come back to us".

As has been said repeatedly, the negotiations have been mismanaged by lots of clueless people from day 1. The red lines have hamstrung us. Expectations were never managed, they were ramped up (see the led by donkeys posters for evidence).

For me it is starting to look like either no deal owing to mays stubborn-ness, or she is removed and a GE is called and a long extension is agreed. Looking at the EU comments from last night, they're genuinely confused as to what is happening in westminster. It's almost like they're sending a message to parliament saying "FFS, remove her and get a government of national interest or something, then come back to us".

As has been said repeatedly, the negotiations have been mismanaged by lots of clueless people from day 1. The red lines have hamstrung us. Expectations were never managed, they were ramped up (see the led by donkeys posters for evidence).

Do you think there was really much negotiating to be had? Personally, for me, it's always been EU way or no deal.

But that reverts to the managing expectations and so on. Fox and/or Gove suggested this would take a matter of weeks, the easiest thing ever. Clearly it isn't. We were told we held all the cards, clearly we don't.
Yes, I do believe that there could have been some negotiation. But look at how they prepped for these negotiations:
https://twitter.com/Peston?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Eauthor
and
https://twitter.com/Peston?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Eauthor

Do you think there was really much negotiating to be had? Personally, for me, it's always been EU way or no deal.

You can't negotiate when you totally box yourself in.

The DUP have turned on May.

A VONC could be incoming if they have decided she is useless.

Back