• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Rangers

The players are happy to have cuts but its the level they can't agree on I think. 2 players took voluntary redundancy with no pay off.

I think they said at lunchtime that a number of players were happy to take a pay cut but then the bastard agents stepped in then it went tits up.

Although the BBC didn't actually use the word 'bastard'.
I think they said 'fucking', but I get poor reception over here....

Whyte isn't 'fit and proper'?

Blimey - groundbreaking news there. Fucking parasite.

I read something earlier today (Independent, maybe?) saying that if Rangers are liquidated and decide to start again as an entirely new football club in the Scottish lower leagues, the other teams in Scotland have to approve their application -- which is not, apparently, a foregone conclusion.

There's no real precedent, that's the thing. Airdrieonians went bust in 2002 but took over Clydebank's place as Airdrie Utd as they went bump at the same time. Other clubs have been demoted (Livingston being the most recent) but that wasn't an entire liquidation. Basically the spare league place would be up for grabs and it'd be up to the SFL to make a call on who had the best bid.

Obviously a key point in the current situation is that an application by a new club calling itself (say) F.C. Rangers would, if it were put to a vote, be potentially highly controversial. I mean, would Celtic abstain? Would the details of the vote be made public? Reading the forums, there seem to be some Rangers fans who are reasonably relaxed, if that's the word, about liquidation because they foresee a future in which a new Rangers will rise from the ashes with no debt and a whole load of optimism. But if the other clubs in Scotland decide not to green-light their application... then you're faced with a future in which Rangers are totally wiped from the map.

The SPL clubs are understandably fearful about losing their TV deal and two guaranteed home sell-outs a season if Rangers go, so they're broadly in favour of allowing the Rangers NewCo back into the top flight, but with significant points deductions for a minimum of three years as well as financial penalties, plus they wouldn't be eligible to play in Europe for three years under UEFA rules. Understandably Rangers fans aren't too keen on this, the majority would rather start from Division Three rather than bend over and take it from clubs they've bullied around for years.

I know, but what I'm saying is -- what if the other clubs don't even let them play in Division 3?

Unlikely to happen I would think as the clubs in the lower tiers will spy a few juicy paydays over the next few years while the new club sails through the leagues (they would, Gretna did it without even having any fans).

I know, but what I'm saying is -- what if the other clubs don't even let them play in Division 3?

Indeed, if Glasgow Rangers have to reform as a new club, then there is no guarantee that they will be in the Scottish League. In England, a "new" Club must start in the lower reaches of the pyramid system.

But there is no pyramid system in Scotland and only very very limited interest from existing junior teams to join the SFL. Hence a new Rangers should comfortably be able to make the best case to be a sustainable club. Better to have a club which boosts crowds etc rather than someone like Edinburgh City who wouldn't get 200 fans a week.

But there is no pyramid system in Scotland and only very very limited interest from existing junior teams to join the SFL. Hence a new Rangers should comfortably be able to make the best case to be a sustainable club. Better to have a club which boosts crowds etc rather than someone like Edinburgh City who wouldn't get 200 fans a week.

You are correct, to be honest I never thought about that. So if Rangers were not allowed back into the Scottish League system, they would be playing what is basically park league football, yet with a following of tens of thousands. So if Rangers were to reform , they would have to be allowed back into the SPL.

It's a huge, huge issue. Not just football-wise, but socially in Glasgow and Scotland. Imagine having all those Rangers fans with no football team to go and watch. They'd have to, I don't know, fly over to Belfast every week to watch Linfield or something.

You'd also have a massive listed building in the middle of Govan slowly decaying and serving no purpose. Similar to the Pompey situation though, I can't see how a Scottish Third Division club could afford to pay the maintenance/policing costs of Ibrox while they're at that level.

So whatever happens, the only possible outcome is Rangers still being in the SPL.

The inevitable consequence I suppose of their whole domestic game being entirely reliant on just two clubs for decades.

But just say the Scottish league clubs did not allow them into the league, what league could they play in. If their affiliation is accepted, they must be allocated to a league.

It's extraordinary to think of a near-bankrupt, totally disgraced business having so much emotional bargaining power.

But just say the Scottish league clubs did not allow them into the league, what league could they play in. If their affiliation is accepted, they must be allocated to a league.

If they can't get in the SFL (like I say, highly unlikely) and putting them straight back into the SPL with sanctions isn't an option, it'd be either:

a) The Scottish Junior West Premier League and continually apply for SFL membership as and when
b) Try to gain permission to play in the English system due to extenuating circumstances (ie they're being disenfranchised due to the Scottish pyramid not existing), presumably starting from Northern Premier or First Division level (Tier 7/8)

Seems some of the senior players have agreed to a 75% pay cut to keep things afloat.

Even if they start at the bottom in Scotland, they'd still end up in the SPL within 3 years though. Its not like they'd be a decade away.

Back