• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

QPR (H) 19/8 Build Up

You say 'and with good reason' but don't state said reason. Is there one?

Provides energy, excellent fitness and the pain in the ass needed sometimes. He was relentless today I thought.

Does this offend you? Tough titty

Provides energy, excellent fitness and the pain in the ass needed sometimes. He was relentless today I thought.

Can't argue with that. Still don't think it's enough if better players are available. But I know where you stand and we'll never agree. I like technical footballers all over the pitch and if they work as hard as Edwards then we will have a tremendous team. Dicko and Afobe ran themselves into the ground today I thought.

I'd hope for more of an appearance from ALF.

No offence is intended with the above post. If you are, I suggest you get out more.

I don't think there are more technical players available at the moment. Early days for Ojo but I wouldn't have started him ahead of Edwards today based on his cameo

Edwards will start again, he did play well. I'm not convinced that, as an attacking midfielder, he gives us the quality we need but we already knew that really. To play a more narrow approach you need good technical ability in tight spaces which he lacks in. He deserves his place in the side at the moment.

Going to buy tickets for this tomorrow hopefully

Edwards is probably the best we have at the moment - VLP clearly came back not ready in one way or the other given what KJ has intimated.

Wallace injured & seeing as how he has not played above Lg 2 yet would not expect him to become an instant Messiah. From what has been said & I saw today Ojo is not ready to take on the mantle & looks as if he has much to learn.

However this formation puts a lot of responsibility on the 2 full backs to provide the width as well as their defensive duties.

Unless there is another incoming in that position we need to find a way to make this work better as wouldn't expect a change in the short term.

Wallace has played and scored in League One. I'm really excited to see him play. He'll offer something none of our current players can do.

Edwards has to be dropped for someone who can create chances for our front two. Running around a lot isn't enough to make our side. Other than that, same team for me. Was surprised ikeme was dropped, but Martinez did well so should keep the shirt.

Edwards has to be dropped for someone who can create chances for our front two. Running around a lot isn't enough to make our side. Other than that, same team for me.

This is it for me, I can appreciate the effort he puts in but we're back to where we were last season with him playing off the striker, we cannot afford to have someone who is in the team to fill an attacking brief, but he doesn't create anything, or beat a man, and doesn't really score enough goals either to compensate. And now he unbalances the side into the bargain as well as you can forget us attacking down the left, unless the striker(s) pull out there which leaves us shorthanded in the middle. As for him being worth his place against good teams (I disagree, but that's by the by), QPR are not a good team.

I'd go with Ojo, I'm not going to write him off on 20 minutes when we hardly had any of the ball. We have signed him to fill that gap so let's have a look. He won't do any worse than Edwards.

This is it for me, I can appreciate the effort he puts in but we're back to where we were last season with him playing off the striker, we cannot afford to have someone who is in the team to fill an attacking brief, but he doesn't create anything, or beat a man, and doesn't really score enough goals either to compensate. And now he unbalances the side into the bargain as well as you can forget us attacking down the left, unless the striker(s) pull out there which leaves us shorthanded in the middle. As for him being worth his place against good teams (I disagree, but that's by the by), QPR are not a good team.

I'd go with Ojo, I'm not going to write him off on 20 minutes when we hardly had any of the ball. We have signed him to fill that gap so let's have a look. He won't do any worse than Edwards.

I do agree with this, but you're going off the theory that Ojo 'might be good'. Edwards gave a 6.5/10 and did a job. I think if we replaced Ojo for Edwards and played the game again today I don't think we'd have done any better, potentially worse. I hope Ojo can be worthy of a full time spot and i wouldn't be against him playing against QPR as they are not very good. But I also won't be too fussed if Edwards plays as I think we will win anyway.

I do agree with this, but you're going off the theory that Ojo 'might be good'.

True, but that's all I've got, and if he genuinely isn't a better option on the left of midfield than Dave Edwards is (or ever will be) then I'm really not sure why we signed him.

At some point we've got to give him a go, what better time than a home game against a team in a period of great transition who have kicked off with a draw and a defeat and have been utterly terrible on the road for about four years? If he's playing poorly we can always take him off.

Our record against these hoopy mothers anyway:

2011/12: L 0-3 (H), W 2-1 (A)
2008/9: W 1-0 (H), L 0-1 (A)
2007/8: D 3-3 (H), D 0-0 (A)
2006/7: W 2-0 (H), W 1-0 (A)
2005/6: W 3-1 (H), D 0-0 (A)
2000/1: D 1-1 (H), D 2-2 (A)
1999/0: W 3-2 (H), D 1-1 (A)
1998/9: L 1-2 (H), W 1-0 (A)
1997/8: W 3-2 (H), D 0-0 (A), W 2-0 (A, LC), L 1-2 (H, LC)
1996/7: D 1-1 (H), D 2-2 (A)

With this more patient build up play the importance of quality movement in the final third is vital. Though I'm no Dave Edwards fan I can see how his late movement from wide left through the centre opens up the space for other players while giving big decisions to the opposing centre backs.

From what I've read + one single devasting spurt of speed today, Ojo seems to have a better profile than RVP did just before he broke through and he had a good few chances before we all realised and Kenny latterly, that he can't fucking shoot!
So I'd give Ojo a game on Wednesday.

It looks like Alex Smithies will be leaving Huddersfield Town today with Queens Park Rangers having a £2m bid for the goalkeeper accepted. Two fresh keepers facing each other a distinct possibility.

Surely Green will play until he leaves. Doubt they will throw him in without training either

The referee against QPR is the bloke who gave that 98th minute penalty against Blues in the opening game of the season vs Reading, saved by Tomasz Kuszczak....Peter Bankes.

Martinez
Iorfa - Stearman - Hause - Golbourne
Price - McDonald
Wallace
Dicko - Le Fondre - Ojo​

I imagine there will be some rotation in the team, what with this being the second midweek game in a row, so it feels a good time to give ALF a chance to lead the line (and for Wallace and Ojo to get some time as well to show what they're about). Also think Coady could probably do with a rest - the guy ran himself ragged on Sunday. Still on the bench for if we need him, though, of course.

QPR look dogdirt at the moment, and we should be winning this.

Last edited:
Back