• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

QPR 1, Wolves 2; The thank goodness for that Verdict Thread

I thought the sending off exposed Paul Lambert more than it did QPR. Once you have an advantage its usually best to play controlled football through the middle of the field so that the front players receive some quality into their feet. I thought individual quality dug Paul Lambert out of a hole, his in game strategy seemed sadly missing.

Most balanced team we've started with for quite a while. The last 40 mins were good entertainment.

I thought the sending off exposed Paul Lambert more than it did QPR. Once you have an advantage its usually best to play controlled football through the middle of the field so that the front players receive some quality into their feet. I thought individual quality dug Paul Lambert out of a hole, his in game strategy seemed sadly missing.

You can have all the strategy in the world on the sideline, but the players on the pitch should be able to adapt without the manager intervening every time.

What about the 50 yard ball he pinged to Costa for his goal?

Yeah a good ball. Costa did the rest. Saiss could have cost us the game with his performance in the last 10 minutes, miss kicks, poor panicked passes and free kicks, plus he got himself booked. If that had been Doherty or Cody or Edwards we'd have everyone on their case. I watch the game and players dispassionately.
I don't try and make the events fit my own and my mates agenda, unlike a lot on here.
These are the players we've got, the starting eleven was probably the strongest we could have put out, the system was probably the best we could come up with, with the personnel we have, there was no evident lack of effort.
But to keep praising up the new signings whilst mercilessly keep slagging the rest is just plain stupid. Particularly when the evidence shows otherwise.
Edwards couldn't reach the header in the first half or he would have scored, he scored a great goal, was denied a second by their keeper, this on top of the closing down, tidying up and playing others in which he did. He put one or two passes astray but no more than anyone else did.
I know he's never going to be premier League. But he had a good game last night and for me was m.o.m.
Was Cav crap? I thought so, thought he was our worst player by a stretch. Would I start him ahead of saville next game? Yes, probably.

We can't play intricate passing football with that midfield. Coady and Edwards are not equipped for that at all. They're in the side for their workrate and overall industry (plus Dave getting a goal every now and then), if we had better footballers in there - which eventually we have to have - then it might be an option.

Yeah a good ball. Costa did the rest. Saiss could have cost us the game with his performance in the last 10 minutes, miss kicks, poor panicked passes and free kicks, plus he got himself booked. If that had been Doherty or Cody or Edwards we'd have everyone on their case. I watch the game and players dispassionately.
I don't try and make the events fit my own and my mates agenda, unlike a lot on here.
These are the players we've got, the starting eleven was probably the strongest we could have put out, the system was probably the best we could come up with, with the personnel we have, there was no evident lack of effort.
But to keep praising up the new signings whilst mercilessly keep slagging the rest is just plain stupid. Particularly when the evidence shows otherwise.
Edwards couldn't reach the header in the first half or he would have scored, he scored a great goal, was denied a second by their keeper, this on top of the closing down, tidying up and playing others in which he did. He put one or two passes astray but no more than anyone else did.
I know he's never going to be premier League. But he had a good game last night and for me was m.o.m.
Was Cav crap? I thought so, thought he was our worst player by a stretch. Would I start him ahead of saville next game? Yes, probably.
My thoughts about Saiss' performance last night are a bit down the Amelia Jane route - when he was good, he was very, very good - but when he was bad, he was horrid - not just the panic, but some powder puff tackling, and allowing them to play in the space behind him early on. Not an MOTM for me, but there is a good player there.

You can have all the strategy in the world on the sideline, but the players on the pitch should be able to adapt without the manager intervening every time.

They should be but we all know Coady and Edwards lack the ability to make the ball work and thats the essence of playing against a team one less in number. Thats where the coach has to take a grip.

We can't play intricate passing football with that midfield. Coady and Edwards are not equipped for that at all. They're in the side for their workrate and overall industry (plus Dave getting a goal every now and then), if we had better footballers in there - which eventually we have to have - then it might be an option.

Yes I agree, Price looked a good option from the bench once QPR were down to ten just to keep the ball moving through midfield into the forward positions using the man advantage.

They should be but we all know Coady and Edwards lack the ability to make the ball work and thats the essence of playing against a team one less in number. Thats where the coach has to take a grip.

I think, as Dan says, you can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear - judge Lambert when he's had chance to get his own players in - Guardiola couldn't turn Edwards into Coutinho either.

The one thing that did strike me was even with the telly on mute I could still hear Holloway screeching like a schoolgirl !

HELP HIM!!!!

COME ON!!

He was looking very Donald Pleasence last night I thought

I think, as Dan says, you can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear - judge Lambert when he's had chance to get his own players in - Guardiola couldn't turn Edwards into Coutinho either.

If you give Romain Saïss the passing option of Jack Price you can start building combinations through midfield then watch Saiss show the range of his ability. Using him as last night missed a trick in my eyes.

Absolute bullshit.

There is only one poster reshaping events to fit his agenda.

Was listening on 5Live Xtra and they certainly felt Cavaleiro needs to do a lot more for a £7M Championship signing.

If you give Romain Saïss the passing option of Jack Price you can start building combinations through midfield then watch Saiss show the range of his ability. Using him as last night missed a trick in my eyes.

Price is a crap option. I know I am in a minority, but I just fail to see how he brings anything to the team. Evans is the player we miss.

Was listening on 5Live Xtra and they certainly felt Cavaleiro needs to do a lot more for a £7M Championship signing.

They have an agenda. They were exactly the same for the Derby game - basically slagging all the foreign signings as heartless and praising the bringing on of Saville for Teix. File under ignore.

Not the best performance ever but there were encouraging signs, we could have easily had 4-5 if Smithies hadn't had a 'Worldie'

The front 3 is comfortably our best trio by some margin, keep playing them where possible and let them develop an understanding, I think they have the potential to be every bit as good as Dicko, Sako and Afobe were.

The midfield 3 still isn't right, it is one of Edwards & Coady for me, not both. Neither are technical enough, I think you can get away with 1 'work horse' player but not 2. I would play Saiss, Price and Edwards until we can upgrade on Price in January.

Defence is still a massive worry, reinforcements in January are essential.

Losing Ikeme was a big blow, he is much better than Lonergan. I hope that he either recovers quickly or we bring in a top draw keeper in January.

I just hope this was the first step in building some momentum and climbing up the table. Same XI apart from Price for Coady and of course Lonergan for Ikeme for Fulham please.

It's just me, 5live and Don Goodman then.
I hope Cav goes on to be the best signing we've ever made, can't see it at the moment though.

It's the Emperors new clothes again Paddington.
Have you ever been wrong about anything and admitted it??

Sako's general play wasn't very good when he first came here, he produced a reasonable amount in terms of goals and assists fairly quickly but out of possession he was no good, his tracking back caused us more problems than it solved and he routinely disappeared from games (partly as we had no idea how to use him). He only improved by playing every week and learning about the league, by the end he was easily one of the best players in the division. I don't know if Cav can go on to be that good for us - he's clearly not a no hoper, I wouldn't say he's anything like as explosive as Bakary on a good day though - but the only way he's going to have a fair crack at it is if we play him every week.

The only agenda I've got is to see wolves in the Prem challenging the top six. Be financially viable and not repeating the same mistakes of the last twenty years or so.
If you're gonna spend money, spend it wisely. Give the manager a wedge and let him decide what to spend it on. Ie. Proven Championship quality or better.

Back