• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Pre-Season Games 2018

Nope, there's no moaners in the Northbank. They must just be there for the friendly and not STH.

Pre-season friendly crowds go in the same bin as early League Cup round crowds, they're a magnet for sheer idiocy. I'm not sure I've totally calmed down yet after sitting next to an absolute wanker against Bristol Rovers last year.

As I say Twitter was a shambles when we were 1-0 down.

Decent that was. Like the look of Jonny, Patricio will definitely earn us some points this season and Moutinho oozes class (still can't believe the latter two are here). Saiss really doesn't look comfortable out there and I'd bet that that experiment won't work, Jimenez looked really lively chasing down everything and deserved his goal. Costa got better as the game wore on and Jota was his usual pain in the arse self, he even drew an arm round the neck from Alf towards the end. Can't see us playing that high all season, Villareal did move through us a fair bit in the first half.

Oh and the queue to get in was fucking ridiculous, what a time for the ticket scanners to go tits up on every turnstile. Got there at 14:35 and missed the kick off.

Why on earth were people moaning about Moutinho he was class. Not just in possession but his movement and availability at all times will be a big plus for us. He pings the ball around with ease and he won a few headers too, not bad for a short lad.

How anyone can think he was poor today is completely beyond me.

Yep, he misplaced one or two (difficult) passes and out came the "what's he doin'?". As I say, doubt it surprises anyone, we all know we have our share. I can't say too much though as I myself am not a normal occupant of the NB. Very nice though, got a good seat a few rows back near centre. I might even get in camera for Neves' pen miss :icon_biggrin:

Albeit halftime was busy enough I missed Boly's goal. Ah well. Just hope the hat + sunscreen combo was enough..

If Saiss in defence he has going to play he has to play at LCB

Jonny was excellent. Tidy on the ball, positionally very good and very good at getting right early to his opponent.

Fornals for Villareal was wonderful, proper player. Lovely to see Santi too. They're a very good team, not that a lot of people sat around us knew that the way they were moaning at 1-0.

Right then. Am I allowed to post the 10min highlights?

Only if it isn't the shit ten mins on MM that misses our second goal.

Not the nicest of welcomes for Patricio today. Just about to start his warm up and 1 sprinkler is turned on, the one right behind him. He was not impressed.

Safe to say the idea of Saiss at RCB ended at half time today. All but 1 chance for Villareal came from them taking advantage of the fact he can't defend a ball played down the side of him (other came from Neves sending a shit ball back to Coady and their striker nipping in). Top keeping from Patricio on 2 of them and nowt he could on the goal.

1st half we played well but only created half chances and Neves rolling a penalty wide. 2nd half we stepped up the effort and it showed. Villareal created 1 good chance but Doc defended it brilliantly.

Moutinho will be one of those players that just glides through a game. He played a couple of poor balls early on but got better and better as the game went on. Love Jonny (and ours of course), so switched on in terms of his position and got forward more and more as the game went on. Shame Jota ballsed up a simple pass in the 2nd half as it would have put him clean through on goal.
Jiminez's workrate is superb. It was his chasing down that led to the corner for Boly's goal.

Nice welcome for Alf when he came on as well.

Thought Neves abdicated penalty duty after that one he missed against Sheffield United, wonder if he will be taking them again once we're into the season.

Thought Neves abdicated penalty duty after that one he missed against Sheffield United, wonder if he will be taking them again once we're into the season.

He took the one v Ajax and scored.

Thought we looked very capable. Saiss experiment ends here. It's a world of difference to the role he plays for Morocco too. Jonny looked fine, linked up with Boly and Jota well.

Moutinho ticked along and is very tenacious which complements the beautiful stuff nicely. Neves' keep things moving as always. I felt dirty for shouting "time" at him as if he didn't know. We'll call it pre season rust!

Patricio will win us some points this season. Doherty still a little suspect for me. He does the same outside of the boot flick to Costa and it's easily telegraphed. That said he made one excellent clearance when it looked like a free header from eight yards for Villarael.

I have to say I'm getting a huge crush on MGW. It's legal, just. I just think it's scary the potential this boy has. He's due another growth spurt between now and 20/21 and imagine what playing and learning from Neves and Moutinho will do for his game. He's so clever and finds space really well.

Jiminez was handy. Worked like a dog, unlucky in the first with one going just wide but should've used his weaker foot imo. Delighted he got his goal though.

Very promising. Cannot wait for next weekend.

Looked like a decent test which we came through in good shape

Highlights only, but Jota is integral - has a second or two extra of thought ahead of anyone else

I thought we were poor at both ends of the pitch first half. Very little tempo to our play and nothing stuck with the front three and we gave the ball away alarmingly often when trying to get forward which they exploited well. Costa was the worst for this.

That changed after about 30 mins though and they seemed to switch on a bit more. Bennett shored up the defence after HT and Costa, Jota, Moutinho, Doc and Jonny grew into the game and started linking up well, which is encouraging.

You can see why Nuno would want Traore after that first half. If we are struggling with finding a way to move the team forwards with the ball then having him running past players and breaking the lines will allow us to get more men into the final third facing goal rather than having the ball with their back to it.

Surprising how many crosses we put in for a team that doesn't cross.

Back