• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Pre-Season 2024/25

Certainly loving what I’m seeing but we’ve been here before pre season, at the moment I can’t see further than the last three months of last season, hopefully come October I’ll be feeling more reassured.

Certainly loving what I’m seeing but we’ve been here before pre season, at the moment I can’t see further than the last three months of last season, hopefully come October I’ll be feeling more reassured.
We have two CBs who can move and are naturally communicative; they're already showing positive signs having never previously played as a pair. That's really, really encouraging IMO (although I think we all know I've been Yerson's biggest fan since he landed in Cincy, so grain of salt and all that).

Shout outs to Burrows actually pronouncing our Colombian's name correctly!

Wow some great stuff played in that game judging by the highlights.

For the first time since peak Raul we've got attacking flair all across the pitch and a decent No.9 for them all to play off. Could it be that we're in for a good season again finally? (injuries allowing). If Neto stays then I think we could be easily top 10 and pushing for Europe again.

Wow some great stuff played in that game judging by the highlights.

For the first time since peak Raul we've got attacking flair all across the pitch and a decent No.9 for them all to play off. Could it be that we're in for a good season again finally? (injuries allowing). If Neto stays then I think we could be easily top 10 and pushing for Europe again.
While he's been an effective target from a team pov, from the small bits I've seen, Larsen looks quite 'clumsy', hopefully we can knock the rough edges off quickly.

While he's been an effective target from a team pov, from the small bits I've seen, Larsen looks quite 'clumsy', hopefully we can knock the rough edges off quickly.
Could just be he needs time to settle in properly, or a confidence boost in a couple of goals.

We don’t really need him to be a stunning footballer tbf. We just need enough to stick to him that he can bring our proper footballers into play.

IMO we should create enough around him that as long as he knows where to be and when (simple ay 😅), he’ll be fine.

Yep. We simply haven't had a #9 that's fit for purpose since Raul's injury. Which was nearly four years ago! An eternity in football terms.

Fabio was a child, nothing like suitable for Premier League football. He's not a child now, we just know he's shit and a twat.
Willian Joke was the world hide and seek champion.
Raul Mk II was a sorry shadow of what he once was.
Sasa was a panic buy from a manager on the verge of the sack, isn't mobile enough for how we want to play and sadly is made of biscuits.
I have no idea whether we signed Guedes in the hope he could play there. He can't.
Elvis in Vegas Diego Costa was a pantomime act.
Cunha is brilliant but not a #9 and folly of Lopetegui to think he could be one.
Hwang is a very good finisher but again, he isn't a genuine lone striker, at best he's an oblong block for a square-shaped hole.

So far Jorgen looks like he gets around the park well enough, occupies the centre halves, holds the ball up quite well and gets in the right areas often enough. As I said last night a goal will do him good, but I'm not concerned at all so far.

Got a thorough soaking but worth it as we played some good stuff and at times looked at a different level to Leipzig. Neto made a huge difference when he came on and you thought we'd score each time we attacked. Defensively, we are still our own worst enemies with dangerous passes out. Just watching the warms ups it very much seems everyone is on the same page and giving it 100%.

None of this counts a jot when the season begins but we have much to be encouraged about. Larsen is clumsy but he occupies defenders. Guedes, although he didn't play last night, clearly relishes this second chance and having Portuguese team mates around seems to have refreshed his attitude. He still sulks when he demands the ball and doesn't get it but I'm happy to keep him until Jan and then re-assess.

The find of pre-season is clearly Rodrigo Gomes who has a charm and presence that could see him go along way in the game.

We still need more options in the squad though as Chiquinho, Chirewa, Bellegarde, Cundle aren't at the level needed and heaven help us if Sa gets an injury.

Now to Mol. next week and a last chance to bed in our systems. Hopefully we can do more defensive work on closing space and gaps because that will be our weak point against Arsenal.

Appreciated your write ups @Squeak , hope you've had a good trip
Fantastic time. The meet ups have been fantastic... Bully has been amazing... at everything and entertaining everyone despite his injury. There's a bit of a story to that but I'll leave that for another time. Nothing sensational. The marketing team and background staff have been friendly and embracing and overall, it's been a very good trip for Wolves and for the fans in the USA.

Back to Mol. next week so we'll see how it all translates in front of a far more demanding crowd. Most folks here were just overwhelmed t see the stars they support in the flesh. I wouldn't have missed this for the world though as it touches close to home having lived in both the USA and the UK for roughly half of my lifetime in each.

The tropical storm Debby is blowing through Orlando today and then the plane home tomorrow hopefully. The players are flying from Miami tonight.

Getting lucky that far central; Debby is really crushing Tampa though. Should be fine for you tomorrow.

Miami flights might get delayed depending on how Debby’s hair on the SE quadrant behaves.

Still keep an eye and ear open; the eastern tendrils are where the most severe (wind/lightning) bits of weather tend to appear!

Back