• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

****POLL NOW IN OP****Who do you want next?

Is this getting a little overdone about how attacking Lage is anyway? I think it was the Tugascout article that said although his Benfica side were gungho in the league against Nacional and Farense or whatever but they blew big games with a ridiculously conservative approach (maybe a EL QF against Frankfurt and Sporting in the cup).

All sounds a little OGS to me.

Is this getting a little overdone about how attacking Lage is anyway? I think it was the Tugascout article that said although his Benfica side were gungho in the league against Nacional and Farense or whatever but they blew big games with a ridiculously conservative approach (maybe a EL QF against Frankfurt and Sporting in the cup).

All sounds a little OGS to me.
I thought you were defending the appointment - then the boot comes in at the end 😃

His attacking intent is the only positive thing that gets quoted about him, and I’m not even sure it sounds that true!

Having only signed up to the Athletic a week ago my head is still spinning from the amount of contradictions in Tim’s articles. I’m not really sure what’s going on.

I remember when a Portugese supporter (might have been a Benfica chap, not the great one we have now) said Nuno would be shit and we all said if he gets us into Europe and top half of the Prem, we would be very happy. So, if Lage has us playing like Nuno did v Sevilla in another Europa QF and fails in a similar way to OGS, I would be very happy indeed...

Excuse me if don't join in the hyperbole and wrist slitting.

A man I have never really heard of is getting the Wolves job. He may fail, he may succeed, pretty much like 4 years ago really. I'm all for reading differing opinions on him but as with everything on the internet it seems to be a competition on who can shout the loudest and say the most OTT comment. It buries a debate that can be had really.

I pray to god for some we don't do what we did under Nuno and sign whoever is the 2021 version of Ryan Bennett as the opening transfer.

Having only signed up to the Athletic a week ago my head is still spinning from the amount of contradictions in Tim’s articles. I’m not really sure what’s going on
Read his background or personality pieces like the Douglas one which was posted today. They are good. Avoid the ones where he offers footballing opinions

It's not so much the person, like 90% on here I hadn't heard of him 10 days ago, although what I read isn't encouraging in terms of formation and a defensive naivety. It's more the process and that process makes the chances of us appointing the best person for the role highly unlikely when you've not benchmarked him against anyone else, therefore limiting the chances of us being successful.

Can go both ways can't it, no different to any job.

I'm sure we've all seen it in our own careers where people have flourished or floundered and it's irrelevant whether they were bought in through a rigorous recruitment process, brushed in by someone more senior or casually promoted from within. Sometimes people just fit, or don't, regardless of where they come from.

It's just the histrionics on here from normally rational people, not even getting to the stage of first impressions but making snap decisions based on conjecture and 5 minutes of internet research. The way people are acting they must change jobs any time a middle management position changes as they think the whole company is about to tumble down in flames.

The way people are acting they must change jobs any time a middle management position changes as they think the whole company is about to tumble down in flames.
I know this looks a cheap response, but it's not meant to be.

You don't support a team so you aren't emotionally invested. How I behave in my professional life isn't comparable to that as a football supporter, I doubt it is for anyone. If something good happens at work, I don't jump up and down and and hug the person next to me. If my boss pisses me off I don't call him a twat.

The problem is there should be a process. When they ignore the process because they have someone of a higher level than us, you can justify it.

replacing Nuno by parachuting someone in who has done one job, where he ended up being sacked when we have been in the Premier League 3 seasons doesn’t really justify it. I don’t think anyone sees Lage as a step up from Nuno, do they?

I know this looks a cheap response, but it's not meant to be.

You don't support a team so you aren't emotionally invested. How I behave in my professional life isn't comparable to that as a football supporter, I doubt it is for anyone. If something good happens at work, I don't jump up and down and and hug the person next to me. If my boss pisses me off I don't call him a twat.

I get that but the difference in persona, not just from you but several others, in the last couple of weeks is mind-blowing. Pin it down to emotional connection or whatever but I don't see how the swing can be so great without people checking themselves to some extent.

For months we've have, mostly, reasoned critique of Nuno and the teams performance this season. Plenty of people with doubts whether he's the right man to crack on, though mostly supportive of him getting a chance to find out, but still confident either way that the squad has enough to keep it's head above water, some sneering looks at earlier concerns of relegation by others. Now that man who's performance was doubted has gone and a lot of the same people have gone full sack cloth and ashes, widespread predictions of imminent relegation, at least one mention I've seen of going back to League 1. It was genuinely a place of mourning for a good week, some of the outpouring of anguish was frankly pathetic.

I don't see how grown adults can continuously post this sort of stuff without reading through endless pages of it and realizing how stupid it is. Pretty much every week people are laughed at for heat of the moment OTT comments but in this instance we've got people being just as bad, if it not worse, days after the event and no slow down in garbage being spoken. Surely at some point people need to have a read back at some of the things they've said an realise how ridiculous they sound? People have been hounded out of conversation on this forum for far less hyperbolic opinion and persistence.

The problem is there should be a process.
The Fosun process is different to the norm I guess

Lop, Walter, Nuno & Lage - no other people involved. Obviously 1 didn't happen but that was a time issue. Before they actually did a normal interview process that saw Lambert arrive we asked Marco Silva and he said no.

Our evolution has us wanting more than they are giving us right now, the connection between the fans and Nuno is also an unusual add on. As Wolves fans we are not used to replacing a manager in such circumstances.
On paper Lage is a backwards step but you know, football doesn't always follow what is written.
It's going to be an interesting summer if nothing else, one I personally did not want to happen but it is so I can only let it play out.

Got to give the new guy a chance, but the knives are already being sharpened.
That's not giving anyone a chance is it. That's simply 1 fuck up and I'm after you.

Similar to when a players isn't liked but has an extended run of good form but the moment he has a poor game, he is getting the abuse again

That's not giving anyone a chance is it. That's simply 1 fuck up and I'm after you.

Similar to when a players isn't liked but has an extended run of good form but the moment he has a poor game, he is getting the abuse again
He's right though whether people like it or not. Fosun have done this to themselves with the decisions that they are making, a bad start to the season and the whole mood around the place will sour very quickly.

Agreed Kenny, but there is still a lot of passion for Nuno.

I get that but the difference in persona, not just from you but several others, in the last couple of weeks is mind-blowing. Pin it down to emotional connection or whatever but I don't see how the swing can be so great without people checking themselves to some extent.

For months we've have, mostly, reasoned critique of Nuno and the teams performance this season. Plenty of people with doubts whether he's the right man to crack on, though mostly supportive of him getting a chance to find out, but still confident either way that the squad has enough to keep it's head above water, some sneering looks at earlier concerns of relegation by others. Now that man who's performance was doubted has gone and a lot of the same people have gone full sack cloth and ashes, widespread predictions of imminent relegation, at least one mention I've seen of going back to League 1. It was genuinely a place of mourning for a good week, some of the outpouring of anguish was frankly pathetic.

I don't see how grown adults can continuously post this sort of stuff without reading through endless pages of it and realizing how stupid it is. Pretty much every week people are laughed at for heat of the moment OTT comments but in this instance we've got people being just as bad, if it not worse, days after the event and no slow down in garbage being spoken. Surely at some point people need to have a read back at some of the things they've said an realise how ridiculous they sound? People have been hounded out of conversation on this forum for far less hyperbolic opinion and persistence.
I can separate myself from the Nuno departure and the subsequent appointment. I wouldn't have got rid of him, but can see why they did. I said we could have waited until October and had a smaller candidate base and no pre season so get why they pulled the trigger when they did - although we know the former would have been irrelevant.

I guess if I'm honest, I'm annoyed with myself. I've always defended the club against Mendes FC allegations, saying the relationship worked for both sides, giving Neves, Jota and Nuno as examples - people who wouldn't look at the club without him. Now it's gone the other way - the money he took from the Doherty and Fabio deals and now this.

Feel a bit mugged off and as much as I'd rather be in the PL than the Championship I wish it wasn't like this

Back