• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

****POLL NOW IN OP****Who do you want next?

And something about Gerrard and lampard (but I don’t have the athletic so no idea how serious that is)
In summary Lage has been offered the job, no other interviews, anyone else is only being considered in the event of the WP not being granted

And something about Gerrard and lampard (but I don’t have the athletic so no idea how serious that is)
Words to the effect of 'they were considered but not approached. Sergio C was on the radar but not thought to be interested'.

This hasn't been a recruitment process, it's been absolute trust in Mendes' opinion and that's about that.

I like the sound of his football, but as I've said previously, I'd have preferred somebody with a bigger profile, or at least a longer sample.

The fact that the decision has seemingly been made before the question's finished being asked. I think it's now pretty much impossible to argue against the point that Mendes is de facto Director of Football, and/or were a vehicle for raising the reputation of his clients

With this appointment they're putting a hell of a lot of pressure on their summer recruitment in order to keep fans onside. Brono isn't going to get much leeway at all.

Words to the effect of 'they were considered but not approached. Sergio C was on the radar but not thought to be interested'.

This hasn't been a recruitment process, it's been absolute trust in Mendes' opinion and that's about that.
Opinion is being polite, it's just do whatever he wants you to. We don't even know if he thinks Bruno Ardiles is a good fit, just that it's convenient for him

Is that any different to when Nuno was appointed though? Doubt he was really on the radar of any UK football fan from what he'd done so far.

Ultimately the proof of the pudding is in the eating. No-one cares that much about Mendes' involvement in bringing in players that had no right coming to the Championship, if Lage is appointed and finds success then no-one will look back on this process with any scorn either.

Is that any different to when Nuno was appointed though? Doubt he was really on the radar of any UK football fan from what he'd done so far.

Ultimately the proof of the pudding is in the eating. No-one cares that much about Mendes' involvement in bringing in players that had no right coming to the Championship, if Lage is appointed and finds success then no-one will look back on this process with any scorn either.
The difference is we appointed a manager in the Championship who wouldn't have looked at another club in that league to appointing one in the PL who no other club would look at. Big shift in who is helping who out

No, obviously he was parachuted in at Mendes' order, but still given where we'd spent the last 3 years, and he'd spent the last three years, you'd have said we'd had the better side of the deal. We absolutely can't say that at the moment. Same recruitment policy, but a very different first impression.

Don't get me wrong, he might be wicked, and there's a good chunk of me that's excited at what an attack minded coach could do with some of our players. But we're at a point in our development now where don't just have to take whatever Jorge wants to give us, surely?

The big difference is, we wouldn't have *got* Nuno without Mendes. I don't think we'd have *looked* at Brono if it weren't for Mendes. They're two very different dynamics.

The difference is we appointed a manager in the Championship who wouldn't have looked at another club in that league to appointing one in the PL who no other club would look at.
Reputation alone gets you nothing though does it, people have been appointed out of nowhere and been a success, others have great track records and flop miserably. What's the use in jumping in at the deep end and skating it all before there's been any chance to see how it goes? It's like Lage, if it turns out to be him, is even a known sack of shit, he's a complete unknown really.

Del, please can you call him by his proper name, Bruno?

”Brono” is bugging me more than it really should and I’m already unsure about him 🤣

Reputation alone gets you nothing though does it, people have been appointed out of nowhere and been a success, others have great track records and flop miserably. What's the use in jumping in at the deep end and skating it all before there's been any chance to see how it goes? It's like Lage, if it turns out to be him, is even a known sack of shit, he's a complete unknown really.
It's not so much the person, like 90% on here I hadn't heard of him 10 days ago, although what I read isn't encouraging in terms of formation and a defensive naivety. It's more the process and that process makes the chances of us appointing the best person for the role highly unlikely when you've not benchmarked him against anyone else, therefore limiting the chances of us being successful.

Last edited:
Del, please can you call him by his proper name, Bruno?

”Brono” is bugging me more than it really should and I’m already unsure about him 🤣
I made my typo and I'm sticking to it! It's the internet, I can't change my mind. You should know the rules by now.

Interestingly (?) it's already overriding 'Bruno' in my predictive text, so I'm not even sure I could if I tried!

Back