• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Paul Lambert Leaves Wolves

Can I start the AVB rumour...

I would like to agree with you, but I am not convinced by Fosun. I know it is old territory, but their year in charge has been disappointing, with two very poor managerial appointments. If Mendes is advising them, then he is not doing a very good job.

Lambert was all Thelwell and Jeff Shi. It should of worked out with him as he wasn't a car crash of a manager like Saunders and as for FOSUN for a first season in football and taking over with only 5 weeks to play with to cobble a squad together I think they've done ok. As its exam time nearly, I'd say a "C" with room for improvement

Tim Spiers is going to bed now. Right Jeff Shi sack him now ;-)

Lambert was all Thelwell and Jeff Shi. It should of worked out with him as he wasn't a car crash of a manager like Saunders and as for FOSUN for a first season in football and taking over with only 5 weeks to play with to cobble a squad together I think they've done ok. As its exam time nearly, I'd say a "C" with room for improvement

Sorry to disagree Darlo, but spending 25 million plus to just avoid relegation suggests to me that Fosun have not done very well at all. Though this summer will be the test, they cannot mess up again.

Sorry to disagree Darlo, but spending 25 million plus to just avoid relegation suggests to me that Fosun have not done very well at all. Though this summer will be the test, they cannot mess up again.

£20m of that was on the two players whom without we would have been relegated.

You can spend £100m but if people decide to stick with players that should be in league 1 you will finish around 15th.

Yes, Fosun have made mistakes this season, they were always going to. But without spending that £25m (in particular on the £20m combination of Costa & Cav) we would hav been a lot closer to relegation.

Fosun cannot be blamed for Zenga's constant chopping and changing, and for Lambert's reliance on sub-standard players like Doherty and Edwards.

This summer is where Thelwell needs to prove himself, not only with player recruitment but it appears with manager recruitment also.

You can't say because we had a poor season, despite spending £25m, Fosun haven't done well and pin the blame at their door.

They take some blame for what Walter did because they employed him. They get some taken back for swiftly getting rid of the error.

Right then Frank, I didn't want to get into this hence my short reply BUT...

Cavaliero, £7.5m and a success.
Costa, £13m and a HUGE success.
Saiss, don't know the price, done ok

The problem with Wolves is the players we DIDN'T bring in. We are still relying on players like Edwards who should be fringe players at best but you can't go replacing an entire team in 5 weeks. Weimann and Marshall were added in January and we missed out on a couple of players too. This summer is the biggie and we need to massively improve some key areas.

FOSUN wanted Lopetegui but he ended up taking the Spain job (wow, that was thinking big!) They switched to another manager, was it Silva who is now doing a decent job at Hull? Again thinking big but sadly they ended up with the booby prize of the likable but useless Walter Zenga. They rectified that by listening to the DoF and ended up with Lambert who should of been more than just a steady hand with the experience he has...

What do you think FOSUN did that makes them such a disaster Frank?

Yes, Fosun have made mistakes this season, they were always going to. But without spending that £25m (in particular on the £20m combination of Costa & Cav) we would hav been a lot closer to relegation.

Fosun cannot be blamed for Zenga's constant chopping and changing, and for Lambert's reliance on sub-standard players like Doherty and Edwards.

This summer is where Thelwell needs to prove himself, not only with player recruitment but it appears with manager recruitment also.

You can't say because we had a poor season, despite spending £25m, Fosun haven't done well and pin the blame at their door.

They take some blame for what Walter did because they employed him. They get some taken back for swiftly getting rid of the error.
Appointing Zenga meant that the season became a wasted opportunity from Day 1 it was a ridiculous appointment that goodwill has stopped them getting more criticism than they have over it. Let's not forget that was Mendes. Then control was handed over to Thelwell and we got the shortlist of averageness, a tallest dwarf competition which Lambert won. By then his job was only ever about building for next season and providing some stability. Our finishing position is about where he should have taken us but without the streaks. It now seems like Mendes is kingmaker again, whether he actively sought this or whether Lambert's entrenched position has given it to him who knows. What I do know is I have little faith in him providing us with a manager that is for the good of the club, although I'm happy for him to continue in player recruitment.

Regarding director of football. Id love to see somebody like Ray Wilkins, a man that knows the European and Domestic side of the game.. He would be the perfect foil for Mendes's European players and himself knowing the domestic side of players..

Right then Frank, I didn't want to get into this hence my short reply BUT...

Cavaliero, £7.5m and a success.
Costa, £13m and a HUGE success.
Saiss, don't know the price, done ok

The problem with Wolves is the players we DIDN'T bring in. We are still relying on players like Edwards who should be fringe players at best but you can't go replacing an entire team in 5 weeks. Weimann and Marshall were added in January and we missed out on a couple of players too. This summer is the biggie and we need to massively improve some key areas.

FOSUN wanted Lopetegui but he ended up taking the Spain job (wow, that was thinking big!) They switched to another manager, was it Silva who is now doing a decent job at Hull? Again thinking big but sadly they ended up with the booby prize of the likable but useless Walter Zenga. They rectified that by listening to the DoF and ended up with Lambert who should of been more than just a steady hand with the experience he has...

What do you think FOSUN did that makes them such a disaster Frank?

I didn't quite say they were a disaster, but they replaced one inept manager with another. For a club that is apparently swimming in money, Wolves have made a right mess of things, and it is vital that Fosun do not get the next managerial appointment wrong.

Ray Wilkins has got a massive, massive drink problem.

I didn't quite say they were a disaster, but they replaced one inept manager with another. For a club that is apparently swimming in money, Wolves have made a right mess of things, and it is vital that Fosun do not get the next managerial appointment wrong.

Things would've been different if one of their first two managerial targets had said yes so they can't be blamed for not getting either of them. As for manager #2, Thelwell ran the application list to a short list (it's what he's paid for) and Shi interviewed and employed the best of the candidates so that is on Thelwell

Back