• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Parliament Thread

Heading off shortly. Reminder that there is a blog available on the club website from about seven thirty. I will give an update on the rest of the meeting later on.

One questioner just asked KJ why he clapped fans instead of waving to them. If that is all we have to worry about then things must be looking up..

And as for the X factor...

Reading the blog, it was clear the feelgood factor was evident in the Parliament.

That's football fans for you.

Results are bad - absolutely everything about the club gets picked at
Results are good - no-one cares about anything, all is well with the world

There are a number of off-field things that weren't right six months ago and still aren't right (most pertinently for me, these "big losses" predicted in Morgan's interview don't bear out any scrutiny based on back of a fag packet maths) but I reckon 90%+ of fans don't care about anything other than how the first team is performing.

That's football fans for you.

Results are bad - absolutely everything about the club gets picked at
Results are good - no-one cares about anything, all is well with the world

There are a number of off-field things that weren't right six months ago and still aren't right (most pertinently for me, these "big losses" predicted in Morgan's interview don't bear out any scrutiny based on back of a fag packet maths) but I reckon 90%+ of fans don't care about anything other than how the first team is performing.

That's how I see it Dan. We have won a few games, and suddenly questions that were important a few months back seem irrelevant now. Though there were some fair points on away day travel.

1. Kenny Jackett section of the evening

KJ comes across as a very genuine person who really cares for the club. He immediately felt that changes were needed on day one as the relationship between players and fans was broken. He believes that a close relationship between playing staff and fans is a key element of helping the team to over-achieve this season and beyond. The squad is a work in progress, and always will be. KJ is never satisfied with a squad and always seeks to improve it. He tried to sign Danny Batth last year for Millwall and is now very glad that we told him no.

He came here because this is a massive job for him club-wise and he sees potential and feels he can make a big difference. He seems very confident but stresses this has only just been a start to build upon.

The rest of the questions you should have had chance to see on the blog, so I will summarise.

Only tentative enquiries on JOH and RJ. They train with the main group but not in the build up to the game as they won't be involved. It isn't an ideal situation and their departures are necessary. Hopefully they will build fitness and move on to their next challenge. They were part of a big group that needed to be moved on and they are the last two left. Pissed off about the media asking him questions about those two when he would rather talk about Evans, Ismail, McCarey etc etc, although he sees the interviews moving more towards current players rather than the terrible two (my words) now.

He believes that supporters want to see the ball played on the floor with constructive football rather than pointless short passing.

He loves Leigh Griffiths and thinks he is a hugely exciting player.

The thanks for Doyle and Sako still wearing our colours lie with Morgan. Set out a stance and absolutely didn't budge. Batth will hopefully sign a new deal soon. Really want him to stay. Sako was rested for Port Vale on KJ's call after they both discussed it. KJ thought his head wasn't right. However, BS is a genuine professional and wants to stay and is ready to give his all. Same with Doyle.

Not going into the loan market at the moment. No need to have someone elses player impeding one of our own unless they were a real star and miles better than what we have. If an opportunity comes up in that bracket then we wont hesitate though.

Happy with Wayne at Yeovil. Good for all parties. Ideally would like him to get another month. After that we have an issue as we can't keep three good goalkeepers happy. Not sure who would go and no clues from KJ on that.

KJ leads training every day. When he arrived concentration and discipline in the group were not the best. The sports science department was very badly under-used as well (cheers Dean...) He started with 3 sessions a day starting at 7.30am so the players could see and relate to real people going to work. (I liked that line!)

Promotion is the absolute priority but if he can win the JPT as well then he will.

Eusebio and Torras have settled in well. Unlikely to be in the first team imminently but both look good, especially Eusebio who is a bit of a beast. Club working hard on settling them in.

Asked about Ephraim Hogan wanting to join, KJ said players are interested in us again because of the optimism of a new season and our bright start. Wouldn't say whether that might happen in future though.

He didn't know LG was going to do THAT celebration, or indeed that he was going to nutmeg Hughes straight after. Clearly thought it was very funny and great for connecting with the fans. He thinks Leigh is doing great so far but must deliver over the whole season.

Zele is a very interesting player that Jackett rates highly.

Discipline is key to KJ. He has standards and expects players to respect themselves, the fans, and the club. Lots of things in their contracts about not being on the Johnson-Juice in the build up to games.

He knows Martin Allen well and couldn't believe it when he saw the Santa trousers. He won't be making a similar fashion statement.

Sako is inconsistent but is a game winner. We need game winners. Same with Zele. BS is a great, conscientious pro.

KJ will not play people who are not completely committed to the cause.

After a break, onto the normal business.

Print at home with no fee is well received. Over 2,000 for the Walsall game used that facility, compared to around 200 for Hull last season. However, issues remain such as supporters shrinking the image to fit the ticket in their pocket when it needs to be A4 to work.

Trying to get supporters in earlier for games - it will be £2.50 a pint in all Molineux bars from 1.30 - 2.30 for the Swindon game. To be announced tomorrow. Can't do it for Walsall as WMP have kicked off about the idea, but want to do it as much as possible if it helps with the queue issue and also makes fans happy.

We are absolutely fine for FFP because of the vagaries of the rules, but that doesn't mean we aren't leaking money. SM is writing regular cheques to shore this up.

A discussion was had about non-disclosed fees. Just for the benefit of Kenny, the E&S McDonald fee was mentioned!! Sounds like it was actually £400k in reality.

One questioner just asked KJ why he clapped fans instead of waving to them. If that is all we have to worry about then things must be looking up..

That was a blog question not from in the room. Although the question of ends to warm up was raised and answered by KJ. He hadn't really thought about it, but is aware of all the different theories about which is the true home end, or isn't. As we seem to be winning, he isn't that minded to change it just now!

Thanks Paddy, interesting stuff!

Top top work Paddy, KJ seems like the man to take us forward..like his discipline and no nonsense stuff. Apart from that he seems to have a brain, happy times :)

That line about starting at 7'30 is excellent - and I think KJ merits absolute A* for his handling of Leigh Griffiths

We are absolutely fine for FFP because of the vagaries of the rules, but that doesn't mean we aren't leaking money. SM is writing regular cheques to shore this up.

Any further detail regards income and expenditure?

No. Accounts will be at the next meeting, although a lot of that will then be embargoed until they are filed so I won't be able to reveal much for Company Law reasons I imagine.

Back