• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

O'Neil In, Out and Shaking it all about

This is just not true. There are hundreds of managers out there who would be better than GoN with this squad.

They just weren't available 2 days before the season started. Let's not paint this as GoN is the best we could get. If we started a proper recruitment process in March we'd have somebody better in form the start of pre-season.
We’ll have to agree to disagree. GO had no right to get the job but having got it and started with a very tough run of games he’s found a way to get points on board. That’s with our best player missing a lot of games and no forward options that fit how he wants to play. Look at the preseason predictions and not many saw us level on points with 10th place. He’s improved a lot of players and deserves credit for what he’s achieved so far. Whether he can keep it up remains to be seen. Out of interest as there are hundreds of managers that would be better with this squad perhaps you can name a few that were realistic options.

Well I think you are conflating him doing very well (yay obviously) with there was nobody better available when we employed him (I would imagine there were many depending how realistic you want to be).

But GON is our guy and he is doing very well so far
Spot on. Im happy with how things are going. I actually quite like his interviews, although abit self indulgent at times, but I think he’s quite easy to warm to. Wouldn’t have predicted we would be where we are now with the points at start of the season, let alone 5 games in with 4 losses. So credit where it’s due.

The appointment seems to have worked out so far. We will never know how he interviewed etc, but basing it on CV alone, he did not merit the job.

Very happy to be proven wrong thus far, let’s hope it continues

This is just not true. There are hundreds of managers out there who would be better than GoN with this squad.

They just weren't available 2 days before the season started. Let's not paint this as GoN is the best we could get. If we started a proper recruitment process in March we'd have somebody better in from the start of pre-season.
Such as? I'm genuinely interested in who is available that we could bring in, who would be interested in the job, should we decide to part ways with GON if he achieves his brief, which was to keep us in the division.

I was the same with McCarthy's interviews.
See, McCarthy and Nuno I didn't mind so much, just repeating clichés and saying nothing whilst fulfilling their obligation. Sometimes Mick would get a bit deep sometimes, but mostly it was just waffle.
With Gazza, a great example last night: apparently none of the squad have ever pressed before until he turned up with this revolutionary new tactic... 🤦🏼

See, McCarthy and Nuno I didn't mind so much, just repeating clichés and saying nothing whilst fulfilling their obligation. Sometimes Mick would get a bit deep sometimes, but mostly it was just waffle.
With Gazza, a great example last night: apparently none of the squad have ever pressed before until he turned up with this revolutionary new tactic... 🤦🏼
He undoubtedly likes a self congratulatory backslap, which particularly earlier in the season looked like digs at Lopetegui even if that wasn't the intention

Last edited:
Such as? I'm genuinely interested in who is available that we could bring in, who would be interested in the job, should we decide to part ways with GON if he achieves his brief, which was to keep us in the division.
Ten Haag will probably be available in May (shudders)

I didn't interpret that in that way at all. It didn't sound like he was claiming it as a new idea, just that Wolves have not been a pressing team in years. We never pressed high up the pitch consistently under Nuno, we definitely didn't press under Lage, and didn't do it much, if at all, under Lop. The players are being asked to do something they haven't been used to, that's all I read into that. Nothing more, nothing less.

I thought we were under Lopetegui. Obviously I am now following from as far as it can be this side of a spell in the space station so I could be very wrong 😂

I thought we were under Lopetegui. Obviously I am now following from as far as it can be this side of a spell in the space station so I could be very wrong 😂
No chance, we had Costa and Raul as our forward choices, neither were capable of an intense press even if they wanted to, but those 2 aside there's a vast difference between Lop's trigger press and GON's now.

I like the fact that in general he seems to have got the best out of the players he has and trys to play to their strengths. He’s not playing Sasa because he wouldn’t be able to work in this system and has found a perfect role for Ait-Nouri who’s now playing better than he ever has consistently for us. For the most part he’s kept Hwang where he’s most effective too. Definitely a lot to work on but I’m definitely optimistic and keen to see what happens as and when he’s allowed to bring in players he wants

No chance, we had Costa and Raul as our forward choices, neither were capable of an intense press even if they wanted to, but those 2 aside there's a vast difference between Lop's trigger press and GON's now.
Raul is an excellent pressing forward.

I like the fact that in general he seems to have got the best out of the players he has and trys to play to their strengths. He’s not playing Sasa because he wouldn’t be able to work in this system and has found a perfect role for Ait-Nouri who’s now playing better than he ever has consistently for us. For the most part he’s kept Hwang where he’s most effective too. Definitely a lot to work on but I’m definitely optimistic and keen to see what happens as and when he’s allowed to bring in players he wants
He wanted to bring in Harrison Reed. Best if GoN isn't allowed to bring in the players he wants and let the recruitment team do the work.

Let GoN concentrate on improving as a manager.

I can’t see a world where GON vacates for another in the summer - nor should he if he keeps this up. The players clearly like him too.

He wasn’t an exciting appointment but with our situation at the time we weren’t going to attract a manager with the pedigree of Lopetegui. It was always going to be someone inexperienced in this division, or someone who had been around the block one too many times. Either way, uninspiring.

I can’t see a world where GON vacates for another in the summer - nor should he if he keeps this up. The players clearly like him too.

He wasn’t an exciting appointment but with our situation at the time we weren’t going to attract a manager with the pedigree of Lopetegui. It was always going to be someone inexperienced in this division, or someone who had been around the block one too many times. Either way, uninspiring.
I think he might go to West Ham. He still lives in London and Moyes contract is up.

He wanted to bring in Harrison Reed. Best if GoN isn't allowed to bring in the players he wants and let the recruitment team do the work.

Let GoN concentrate on improving as a manager.

Do we know that was definitely him? I guess I mean more let him work with the recruitment team to find players that suit him - no point letting them sign people that wouldn’t work while he’s the coach

Back