• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

O'Neil In, Out and Shaking it all about

Do we know that was definitely him? I guess I mean more let him work with the recruitment team to find players that suit him - no point letting them sign people that wouldn’t work while he’s the coach

It’s a chicken and egg isn’t it, do you sign players that the coach wants/fits his style (which may be short lived) or do you recruit coaches that suit the style you want to play and sign players that can be coached into that style.

Some would argue that a decent manager can coach a player to fit his style. It remains to be seen if the rotating front three is horses for courses, or if it’s what GoN wants. I didn’t pay too much attention to his Bournemouth team.

Anyway im looking forward to seeing your list of of the "hundreds" of managers who we could have got instead of GON?

Interesting how you are so pushy to insist other posters validate their opinions, but you don't bother yourself.
You should try reading the conversation again and why are you always trying to pick a fight?

What is wrong with you? Is your life that banal you have to pick a fight to make you happy?

I was very much “what the fucking fuck are we fucking doing “ when we appointed GON. Now I’m very much “let’s see what more he can do”

I don’t at all think he is Rinus Michels. Or indeed Pep. But he is doing well for us and we have to be a bit fucking realistic about managers we can attract.

I was very much “what the fucking fuck are we fucking doing “ when we appointed GON. Now I’m very much “let’s see what more he can do”

I don’t at all think he is Rinus Michels. Or indeed Pep. But he is doing well for us and we have to be a bit fucking realistic about managers we can attract.
2/2 for me today.

We got Nuno and Lop eventually. I think it's small time to think we can't get a decent manager and have to 'make do'. We're a PL club not Walsall.

We got Nuno and Lop eventually. I think it's small time to think we can't get a decent manager and have to 'make do'. We're a PL club not Walsall.
Of course we aren’t Waahmbulance FC. But I’m intrigued who we get as a premier league club. I’m looking at Villa getting Emery and Brighton getting De Zerbi with a fair amount of envy I admit but I’m struggling for our name that matches that just now

So I hate to do it but a bit of name names does seem appropriate. Just to see if you have ideas because I’m a bit short

I have a lot of admiration and respect for GO'N.
High profile manager exits stage left just before the season, he's on the beach somewhere and gets a call, "Do you fancy stepping into this deep very murky hole, putting your tiny reputation at risk, and seeing what you can make of it all? Oh... and there's no money available."
So he comes and hearing/knowing that EVERYONE is underwhelmed, don't want him, has the sureity and rock solid self belief, that he has a good idea where to start, put the earphones on, blocks out the noise, and starts to improve practically everything as the negative clamour gets quieter and quieter, just works away getting the players on board, has the neck to go on Sky Sports to explain his theory in public (whilst getting huge credit for it), as his personal stock rises and rises then so does the team.
But those first few weeks... very tough, says a lot about him on the quiet.
We should be quite lucky as it seems we just might have a little gem.
And @Johnny, your estimate of 'hundreds better than him' is really a bit silly. Especially when you watch Chelsea and listen to the very highly esteemed Pochetino.

So I hate to do it but a bit of name names does seem appropriate. Just to see if you have ideas because I’m a bit short
That would depend on the circumstances at the end of the season though. What money is available, what players are wanting to stay/ leave, what coaching staff are staying/ leaving, who may or may not be out of a job, where we finish as a club this season, what performances are like from now until the end of the season, what type of football does Hobbs want.

It's a big list.

As you say Brighton got De Zerbi, Villa got Emery (whilst they were looking like they were going down under Gerard).

There aren't many managers that don't want to manage in the PL.

Pocchetino would be amazing here. He would be on my Johnny list for sure

It’s a silly fight. Offer some options either of you. We just discussed Poch. I’m sure Potter is worthy of a chat.

If we got to the point next summer where we looked quite stable, and we could spend some actual money I'd be all over Potter. He wouldn't have come to us the summer just gone as we were such a mess, but you never know.

O'Neil seems to enjoy there being chaos in the games (hence more goals in general) but I do worry about the underlying numbers catching up with us. Hopefully we can improve enough by that point that it won't matter (plus we won't go down barring a complete disaster).

That would depend on the circumstances at the end of the season though. What money is available, what players are wanting to stay/ leave, what coaching staff are staying/ leaving, who may or may not be out of a job, where we finish as a club this season, what performances are like from now until the end of the season, what type of football does Hobbs want.

It's a big list.

As you say Brighton got De Zerbi, Villa got Emery (whilst they were looking like they were going down under Gerard).

There aren't many managers that don't want to manage in the PL.
That may be true, but we don't exactly have a galaxy of superstars doing it at the moment. Depending on your viewpoint there are somewhere between 4 and 10 'elite' PL managers, and the rest are much of a muchness. Excluding the obvious two, which of the current crop would you swap O'Neil for? Ange is everyone's favourite at the moment, but I get the impression that his appointment was as much down to desperation as judgement. Arteta was as much of an unknown quantity as Lampard or Gerrard when Arsenal took a punt on him. Moyes looked done before turning West Ham round. Potter and Poch have both been brilliant in the past, but neither managed to get a tune out of a Chelsea squad containing much more talent than ours. Ancelotti did little at Everton. Unless (and sometimes even if) you're appointing someone with a bulging trophy cupboard, there will always be uncertainty. It could be argued that Arteta, Postegoglu and Moyes, were lucky appointments, where the fit was a good one. Though Hobbs won't agree, perhaps we've been lucky too. I for one am happy enough to wait and see.

Back