• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

O'Neil In, Out and Shaking it all about

Brighton this season just highlighted the lack of experience for GO.
Liverpool was just poor game management after a Liverpool switch.
Should have been 2 up in the game as Cunha had his moment in front of goal.

Of course he did. Multiple times.

Lage's own home defeat (0-3) vs Brighton was miles worse.
I don't think it was but we're clearly not going to agree on this.

And I don't think he did, but I don't want to indulge your hate for Lage further it isn't healthy.

Brighton this season was miles worse. Beginning of the season and all to play for.

Brighton last season was the end of season, on the beach, nothing matters performance.
If Lop was "infinitely better" then the latter doesn't happen regardless of the circumstances, and they're should never, ever be an excuse for a 6-0 defeat anyway.

All managers, I know you think Lage is the devil but he never churned anything out as bad as the Brighton performance this season. It was appalling.
He did, several times. West Ham away twice for a start.

Brighton this season was miles worse. Beginning of the season and all to play for.

Brighton last season was the end of season, on the beach, nothing matters performance.
I agree from the one perspective, but players who aren't prepared to play for the shirt or their manager isn't a good look. Repeated at Arsenal a couple of weeks later. He delivered 2 of our 3 heaviest defeats in the PL. He did what he needed to, but from as many games or thereabouts had as many questions about him as GON does. That's ignoring the Summer shenanigans. I'm not misty eyed about him leaving and his departure has nuance looking at it from both sides.

Ironically on the beach performances is what got O'Neil the sack from Bournemouth

If Lop was "infinitely better" then the latter doesn't happen regardless of the circumstances, and they're should never, ever be an excuse for a 6-0 defeat anyway.
Klopp lost 7-2 to Villa, he's an infinitely better manager than GoN ever will be.

0-4 vs Barnsley (H, Zenga)
0-5 vs Fulham (A, Connor)
0-3 vs Peterborough (H, Solbakken)
1-5 vs West Brom (H, McCarthy)
0-3 vs Stoke (A, McCarthy)
0-5 vs Derby (A, Jackett)
0-4 vs West Ham (A, Nuno)
1-2 vs Birmingham (H, Lambert)

All since 2011, just a very quick selection, even left Saunders and Lage out of the equation, you cannot seriously tell me ANY game this season (less still a game vs Liverpool where it was 1-1 with 5 minutes to go!) comes anywhere near any of them, that's just ludicrous.

Last edited:
I agree from the one perspective, but players who aren't prepared to play for the shirt or their manager isn't a good look. Repeated at Arsenal a couple of weeks later. He delivered 2 of our 3 heaviest defeats in the PL. He did what he needed to, but from as many games or thereabouts had as many questions about him as GON does. That's ignoring the Summer shenanigans. I'm not misty eyed about him leaving and his departure has nuance on either side.

Ironically on the beach performances is what got O'Neil the sack from Bournemouth
I don't think Lop is a particularly likable man or plays particularly wonderful football but you can't really think he has as many questions as GoN?

His track record, points haul and general philosophy all price what he's about.

I don't shred any tears he's gone either but I have no idea why people think GoN is even close to being comparable.

It properly boggles my mind.

0-4 vs Barnsley (H, Zenga)
0-5 vs Fulham (A, Connor)
0-3 vs Peterborough (H, Solbakken)
1-5 vs West Brom (H, McCarthy)
0-3 vs Stoke (A, McCarthy)
0-5 vs Derby (A, Jackett)

All since 2011, just a very quick selection, even left Saunders and Lage out of the equation, you cannot seriously tell me ANY game this season (less still a game vs Liverpool where it was 1-1 with 5 minutes to go!) comes anywhere near any of them, that's just ludicrous.
I can tell you that Brighton game was (at the top level and being relative to where we are now).

Probably not Liverpool looking at it objectively.

I think some of his his pre game decisions were baffling on many occasions, particularly away from home, whereas broadly GON's issue are in game. He has a body of work that gives him credibility and in an either/or scenario I'd have him over O'Neil I just think some of the bad pre the fallout gets glossed over.

I think some of his his pre game decisions were baffling on many occasions, particularly away from home, whereas broadly GON's issue are in game. He has a body of work that gives him credibility and in an either/or scenario I'd have him over O'Neil I just think some of the bad pre the fallout gets glossed over.
I've been baffled by GoN's selections and formations on more than 1 occasion. I know at the start of the season (after Utd) no one knew what your of football we were playing, at all.

Our last 3 games have been largely terrible to watch.

Stats are objective, our opinions aren't.
Put shit in, get shit out is the most appropriate comment on stats to prove an argument I've heard and pertinent here.

It's pretty much why we've all got different opinions on the game rather than just looking at statistics which tell you very little about the game.

I agree that stats don't ever tell the full story, but neither do scorelines. (Wolves 0 Southampton 6 a brilliant example of the latter.)

Anyway it doesn't matter.

Thought we were fantastic Liverpool first half. Thought we were well in the game against Brighton.

To say “they were the worst games ever” is total nonsense and just detracts from any reasonable point you may make @Johnny75

Back