• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

O'Neil In, Out and Shaking it all about

Lopetegui isn't here because his ego is bigger than Doherty's arse, if he actually knuckled down and did his job then he'd still be our manager but he evidently doesn't want that kind of job.

Lopetegui isn't here because his ego is bigger than Doherty's arse, if he actually knuckled down and did his job then he'd still be our manager but he evidently doesn't want that kind of job.
Which is fair enough but let's not equate GoN's ability to Lop's they're not even close.

I think just staying in the division is good enough for the owners at the moment so, on at that basis, he’ll likely be here until at least the end of the season.

I’ll give him credit for being better than I expected. He’s not a terrible manager but we could (and should) be aiming for higher.

I don't know what you're arguing here.

I would think Lop would be infinitely better with this squad than GoN is. Mainly based on evidence, definitely on the way were playing pre-season, with a defined style and purpose.

He's also got a wealth of evidence proving he's a bloody good manager at the top level.

If you genuinely think GoN would be better I don't know what to say other than I disagree with you and I think you're ignoring all evidence in front of your eyes.
Last season Lop had a better squad and even then many of his wins were against the balance of play. GO has overseen poor performances but nothing on a level of Brighton and Arsenal at the end of last season under the mighty Loo. He may well be doing a little better than GO but with the squad at his disposal GOs points return is pretty good. Whether he can maintain it remains to be seen.

Last season Lop had a better squad and even then many of his wins were against the balance of play. GO has overseen poor performances but nothing on a level of Brighton and Arsenal at the end of last season under the mighty Loo. He may well be doing a little better than GO but with the squad at his disposal GOs points return is pretty good. Whether he can maintain it remains to be seen.
Brighton and Liverpool this season were some of the worst performances I've seen from a Wolves team.

Brighton and Liverpool this season were done off the worst performances I've seen from a Wolves team this season.
And for half the Liverpool game we were excellent. I don’t think anyone is saying GO is a genius but so far he’s sone a pretty good job.

Well it's what we said in the summer via Jeff's A. I press release
They're going to have to do something different next summer as it won't be this easy to stay up next season.

I would still back us to end up just the right side of 1PPG even with the iffy performances (bar Spurs) in November and December. This year that won't be anywhere near in trouble.

It's essentially an audition for him between now and the end of the season to prove he can go beyond that, because those aren't the kind of margins you want to be troubling if/when better teams come into the league and there isn't such a definitive 3-4 worst teams in the league.

Thing is Lage kept his job when anyone with eyes could see where we were heading because we finished 10th (somehow), so I'm not sure the appetite for change will be there even if the remainder of the season is a grind and the direction of travel looks precarious.

And for half the Liverpool game we were excellent. I don’t think anyone is saying GO is a genius but so far he’s sone a pretty good job.
Again I completely disagree. He's not done a pretty good job at all. Better than I expected which was fighting relegation and finishing 17th but not pretty good by any stretch.

Brighton and Liverpool this season were some of the worst performances I've seen from a Wolves team.
Brighton and Arsenal last season were worse than both of these.

But again, it doesn't matter. Lop is old news, i wanted him to stay, but it's similar to Nunes he thought he was bigger than the club, Lop behaved more grown up, but fuck them, fuck them both.

Nah, no way.

Could easily name you 10 Lage performances worse than Brighton (that's just Lage, ignore any other managers, in fact it wouldn't be hard to go past 10) and it was 1-1 vs Liverpool on 85 minutes. If Sa doesn't have a rubber leg and peanut brain then it might finish 1-1.

Nah, no way.

Could easily name you 10 Lage performances worse than Brighton (that's just Lage, ignore any other managers, in fact it wouldn't be hard to go past 10) and it was 1-1 vs Liverpool on 85 minutes. If Sa doesn't have a rubber leg and peanut brain then it might finish 1-1.
Not talking about Lage though.

I think most of us are better off than we thought we'd be at the start of the season, you'd expect if Lop had stayed we'd be at least where we are currently, maybe a bit higher but he didn't fancy it, quite cowardly imo, as DW says his ego is over inflated.
GON has time to prove himself till at least the end of the season unless we go on a really bad run. I'm not convinced he can improve us much but we'll see. I'm trying to stay hopeful that Fabio and probably Sasa will leave in January and we bring in at least one functional striker. We're crying out for a RB option. Clearly we need a CB whether we play 3 or 4 atb. Will we bring in 3 decent players? (not squad fillers) unlikely.

Brighton and Arsenal last season were worse than both of these.

But again, it doesn't matter. Lop is old news, i wanted him to stay, but it's similar to Nunes he thought he was bigger than the club, Lop behaved more grown up, but fuck them, fuck them both.
Brighton this season was miles worse. Beginning of the season and all to play for.

Brighton last season was the end of season, on the beach, nothing matters performance.

I’m not convinced. He rode his luck in a lot of his wins last season and he had a bigger squad.
You’d surely expect Lop to do better, just based on his CV and experience.

GoN may in time become a good manager, it’s just so rare for a premier league team, who some my class as established employ a novice who wasn’t a big name player. It’s a huge gamble.

That being said, he is better than I thought he’d be.

You said they were "some of the worst performances you've seen from a Wolves team" so who are we talking about...
All managers, I know you think Lage is the devil but he never churned anything out as bad as the Brighton performance this season. It was appalling.

All managers, I know you think Lage is the devil but he never changed anything out as bad as the Brighton performance this season. It was appalling.
Of course he did. Multiple times.

Lage's own home defeat (0-3) vs Brighton was miles worse.

Back