• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

O'Neil In, Out and Shaking it all about

"We are in a tough spot as a football club, funds-wise and results-wise"

'Funds-wise'? What is his point here?

Maybe don't splurge most of our cash on the definition of goalkeeping mediocrity, a midfielder (however good) in a position we're already well stocked in, and a couple of kids who won't affect the PL till 2025

Last edited:
I think the psychological factor can be overcome quickly by a strong manager coming in and charting a new direction. I think if we're leaving this till 2025 then that becomes less likely (mathematically too as well)

Regarding the GA column, GON has settled into something too chaotic for that to happen. Can't see this team he's created grinding out wins, not sure if he thinks that's beneath him

Point I was making is a new manager priority going forward is to stop the goals against I’ve give up on GON doing it by my maths he’s allowed us to concede 86 in just 45 league games which is just awful.

I think you might be surprised.
I hope you are correct. I just don't see it though. They are wedded to him, they believe the tough start crap, last season doesn’t count crap and still have Keen and Judah mouthpiecing for them that he's not in any danger at the moment.

In addition to him being cheap and malleable, there's a lot of ego involved in the appointment. Because he was far from the concensus pick, Hobbs is particularly protective of him because GONs failure is his failure.

He will be sacked but it will be when we aren't winning those November games imo and that'll probably be too late.

I hope you are correct. I just don't see it though. They are wedded to him, they believe the tough start crap, last season doesn’t count crap and still have Keen and Judah mouthpiecing for them that he's not in any danger at the moment.

In addition to him being cheap and malleable, there's a lot of ego involved in the appointment. Because he was far from the concensus pick, Hobbs is particularly protective of him because GONs failure is his failure.

He will be sacked but it will be when we aren't winning those November games imo and that'll probably be too late.

I think if had lost 1-0 yesterday and put in a good performance it would've been different.

Yesterday will have come as a shock to them though and Shi is more than capable of making a rash decision in a moment of panic. He could easily sack him today.

The only hope I have of them acting. Is the finances tied up in the signings. They won't have calculated them against lose of Prem Revenue, and so will hopefully panic and do everything to keep that revenue.

I think if had lost 1-0 yesterday and put in a good performance it would've been different.

Yesterday will have come as a shock to them though and Shi is more than capable of making a rash decision in a moment of panic. He could easily sack him today.
You're right. Us fans would be far happier with just two more points on the board too. Three points at this stage given the tough start would be transformative and would probably mean we weren't haemorrhaging goals like we are.

It's the manner of the defeats though, the non existent defence is alarming. It's clearly a combination of personnel and coaching and since nothing can be done about the personnel until January, something has to be done about the coaching NOW.

Do we think this 'new' way of playing is GoNs idea or something Hobbs is pushing down?

If this is the end result of the famed transition from 3 at the back, counter-attacking and horseshoe of doom to 4 at the back 'possession' based attacking football then we've mutated into something truly horrific and chaotic

You're right. Us fans would be far happier with just two more points on the board too. Three points at this stage given the tough start would be transformative and would probably mean we weren't haemorrhaging goals like we are.

It's the manner of the defeats though, the non existent defence is alarming. It's clearly a combination of personnel and coaching and since nothing can be done about the personnel until January, something has to be done about the coaching NOW.
Speak for yourself.

I wouldn't be happy with 3 points.

I think Hobbs is close to getting the bullet as well

Shi and Guo have shown they don't care as long as they are in the PL and that means anybody in any position bar Shi is open to getting fired.

Basically GON has us playing like minnows now; talking us down as if we're Luton and should just be happy making up the numbers and going down with enough money to secure the club's future.

All while playing gung ho football with the emphasis seemingly on entertaining the neutral rather than gaining points

I think Jeff`s got a few more weeks of his "tough start" mantra he`ll use yet, I`m afraid.

Well, then we will be utterly doomed - Johnny post in the middle there fucks up what I was saying! If we DON'T fire this incompetent man that's when we will be doomed.

It's not new, it's how we've always played under O'Neil, irrespective of how many centre halves are on the pitch.

We haven't kept a clean sheet in the league since February.
Against season hotshots Sheff Utd.

Against season hotshots Sheff Utd.
And our last win was against the other hotshots Luton. The run since the beginning of March is utterly indefensible no matter how many excuses are put forward

Back