• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

% of local fans

Shotbybothsides

Reaction score
Two large scale surveys over several months suggest that Wolves have a large fan base living within a seven-mile radius, 81% in one survey (putting us 3rd), and 67% (5th) in another survey putting us a little lower but still high. Not sure how large-scale these surveys were though?

I remember when Wolves used to attract people from all over the UK, in fact in the 90s I recall Wolves stating something along the lines of 'about 30% of our supporters travel from over 30 miles away. I expect many travelling fans were still a side-product of our glory days in the 1950s and 60s. With the cost of travel and expenses on top of ticket prices now, I expect we are losing long distance fans, possibly more than local ones.

Its seems we are becoming a more local club.

Fans from the 1950's will at best be in their mid-late 60's now - more likely older. Having just got hammered by the removal of discounts, I wonder how many remain.
Fans from the 1960's will be over 55.
People relocate for work a lot more nowadays. Fans from the 1950's/60's were probably far less likely to relocate, whereas modern fans are more likely to have moved.

Costs of tickets has gone up. All costs associated with attending games have also gone up.
Theoretically, there are a lot more transport options, enabling people to travel further to matches.

These kinda surveys are always a bit odd anyway, and am not sure what the point is? I mean, I guess if we are looking at those who attend matches, it may be productive to review the data (clubs will already have this anyway, so unsure of the need for a survey?)

A family from Norfolk have been standing by me in the Southbank for quite a few seasons, ain’t seen them this season yet though.

Seven miles seems a bit arbitrary, and I'm surprised it's as high as it is at that distance. I lived in Stourbridge and Bridgnorth as a kid so wouldn't count as local for either, although wouldn't class either of those places as much outside of the Wolves catchment area.

Liverpool and Man U's numbers seem quite generous although those types of fanbases do like to exaggerate their connections to the city when they don't have one. Brighton's stadium is probably more than seven miles from Brighton itself so must rule out some fans who actually live in the place!

Probably a study done to appease Man Utd fans that at least some of them live in Manchester.

So you're telling me that all of Chelsea's fans don't live in multimillion pound townhouses in Chelsea and Kensington?

Timbers = shivered.

They are in the Royal Oak before most games - quite easily identifiable with "Russell 63" on their Wolves shirts and normally a Mercedes hat or two. George's Father and Uncle I think plus another [mate maybe]

Fans from the 1950's will at best be in their mid-late 60's now - more likely older. Having just got hammered by the removal of discounts, I wonder how many remain.
Fans from the 1960's will be over 55.
People relocate for work a lot more nowadays. Fans from the 1950's/60's were probably far less likely to relocate, whereas modern fans are more likely to have moved.

Costs of tickets has gone up. All costs associated with attending games have also gone up.
Theoretically, there are a lot more transport options, enabling people to travel further to matches.

These kinda surveys are always a bit odd anyway, and am not sure what the point is? I mean, I guess if we are looking at those who attend matches, it may be productive to review the data (clubs will already have this anyway, so unsure of the need for a survey?)

My Dad is 70 in March and remembers nothing of the 50’s side probably have to be in your mid to late 70’s

1950s fans with even childhood memories will be more like 90 than mid sixties.

i am 52 and have no memory of the 60S as I was born in 1972!

I am in my 60s and i have quite serious short term memory issues, but i can remember many things with relative clarity back to the early 70s, at least when it when it comes to Wolves. But not the 1960s. My first Wolves game was quite late, aged 6 in 1969.

I’m 63 and lived in Codsall until 1982 and went to my first game at Molineux when I was 6 in 1967 (against Leeds).

For near on 15 years I barely missed a home game - thankfully my memory is fine and I still remember almost all the games I went to,

When I emigrated to NZ I never saw a Wolves game for 16 years.

I was born in '54 and saw my first game in the cup winning season 59/60

I have no memories of the great '50's teams but was lucky enough to see some of those players during the '60's

Apparently if the weather was nice, when I was younger, my mum put the pram in the back garden in Albert Road where you could hear the crowd when Wolves scored 🤷‍♂️

Back