• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Nottm Forest 1-1 Wolves: Verdict Thread

The Bear

Euro 2012 PTG Champion
Staff member
Reaction score

Good to get some points on the board but that game could have easily got out of hand. We look decent going forwards at times, but an accident waiting to happen defensively. Set-pieces are becoming an increasing issue as well. Conceding very easily twice in two weeks now (luckily it didn't count today) and leaving people unmarked at the far post way too often.

Hopefully the defensive solidity changes when Andre comes into the starting lineup, though we're yet to see what formation that will look like. If today is any indication it'll be 4-3-3 with RAN played further forwards.

Personally I'd like to see a bit more of Rodrigo Gomes on the left. But if we go 4-3-3 with RAN further forwards where on earth do him and Forbs even fit in to the side?

Still plenty of questions at both ends of the pitch moving forwards.

Last edited:
I just don't think we are very good. Some inconsistent individuals who can produce some good moments, but collectively we are pretty fucking poor.

I'll take that point today. We just aren't set though, are we. We cannot carry on with this situation where everything is out of control and you're sat there after 30 minutes thinking it could easily be 4-4.

We need to find a way to get more of a foothold in a game, we have good enough footballers to do so. It's a tactical rather than a personnel thing.

Dawson MOTM and good showings from Cunha, Semedo and Lemina too. Strand Larsen was quiet, Toti still looks very rickety, Johnstone might have done better on the goal but made two other excellent saves. Doherty came on and showed why he should never come on, Forest clearly targeted him and he is fucking wank. He can't defend. Super goal from Bellegarde but he didn't do much else.

Much to work on, we are at least off the mark and hopefully André (some paper round that boy has had by the way, 23?!) gives us some stability.

We look as though we have enough to stay out of the relegation fight, but that's cold comfort at this stage of the season. It looks like being one to forget unless Gary can pull a tactical rabbit out of the hat.

3 games, 3 yellow cards for Toti.

He'll be suspended a lot this season.

I've only seen our goal, how has Nuno got Forest looking?

A point will do. We're obviously searching for a formation and system and hopefully the new players coming in will be the shot in the arm we need. Things could have been much worse today had Wood not been offside and with Lemina going down in the way he did. With Gomes already off it looked awful.

Going forward it is fluid...ish. Just the final ball being poor or the failure to take a shot that's hurting us. Defensively we are a mess and but for Dawson throwing his body on the line, we would be in dire straights. Last week was crying out for his introduction and today showed why.

So, if we can stop overplaying when going forward and be more disciplined and structured in defence, then we may have a comfortable mid table team. Until we address the latter, we are always going to be struggling for points.

On a positive note, we do have some good players. We have technical ability. We now just need to harness it and find a way to make it work more effectively.

They were as bad as they looked on paper. They also could've scored four.
They were the more threatening team in the 2nd half. If a team was going to win the game, it was them not us. We were shit.

Their threat increased once Semedo went off they found huge space down that side 3 times after that. He needs to have Lima on the bench not Doherty, the reason "he's only 18" doesn't cut it if he's is a better player, which he is.

Better side first half but struggled in the 2nd. Very disjointed 2nd half with delays for injuries and loads of subs. Could have won the game had Cunha been less selfish.

There's no way Lima is a worse defender than Doherty. I can buy that he is way off the finished article but Doherty offers nothing. He's slow, he's forever out of position, he's bad on the ball, in fact he's the exact same shit player I saw 11 years ago in League One.

Their threat increased once Semedo went off they found huge space down that side 3 times after that. He needs to have Lima on the bench not Doherty, the reason "he's only 18" doesn't cut it if he's is a better player, which he is.
He's a better player going forward but defensively, I don't think so. Lima has a lot to learn in that regard partic. at this level. I agree with getting him on the bench and giving him some minutes but that needs to happen when we aren't defending a point.

Only watched the 3 minute highlight on sky so can’t take much from it

Awful for the goal. Letting wood have a free header.

I know the rules changes, and to be honest I’m not sure what it is now, but both in my eyes were pens, so I’m glad the same decision was made for both. Atleast it was consistent 🤣

There's no way Lima is a worse defender than Doherty. I can buy that he is way off the finished article but Doherty offers nothing. He's slow, he's forever out of position, he's bad on the ball, in fact he's the exact same shit player I saw 11 years ago in League One.
He is significantly worse than Doc defensively from what I've seen. Doc uses his experience and keeps the ball in defensive situations better than Lima. Sorry, I know that doesn't fit your narrative but Lima isn't ready for the defensive load at Prem. level yet IMO.

Back