• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Norwich (A) 31/10 Build-Up Thread #bogeyteam #mayaswellnotbother

TBH it's nice to be arguing over which defender to drop when all of them are playing well!

Makes a difference to 12 months ago when 'playing a bit shit' was seen as a high bar.

I will say this I think Batth has improved since he came back in but defensively I don't think theres much in it between Batth and Miranda. The major difference for me is in possession Miranda is miles better.

Taking sentiment out of it I believe our best 3 excluding Hause is Boly -- Coady -- Miranda.

I think maybe against a more physical side bringing Batth in for Miranda is a good shout however on a larger pitch at Carrow road I want my best footballers at the back.

I do think that this talk of Miranda's distribution is wonderfully over the top though, i've not seen anything particularly out of the ordinary from him, he just keeps the ball, much like Batth.

Also lets not forget that Batth has had Doherty in front of him, who is a lot less willing to show himself.

If we are looking to drop one of Batth or Miranda for Boly, then for me it would be Miranda, i feel he is weak in 1 on 1 aerial situations and hasn't been performing as well as Batth. Lets not forget it was less than a week ago that Batth was a part of a defence that kept out Aguero, Jesus, Sterling etc. However, it was a dodgy ball.

Also Batth is captain, so that should also be considered.

Coady is captain in everything bar flipping a coin and wearing an arm band.

Well we look at it from the outside in, when you are a member of a team the captain is important.

Wasn't a factor in August when Batth wasn't in the team.

Nuno's not going to give a shit about that.

Miranda over Batth still every day of the week for me. I will say Batth has improved massively this season but that's mainly the fact that he's not just hoofing the ball out of play every time he gets it. Batth is weak for me against players he should be physically dominant against like Washington at the weekend and Smith was beating everyone in the air. It's a myth that Miranda is weak in the air because Sylla didn't win anything against him and neither did Hugill but Smith on his day would beat 99% of defenders. I still think Hause is better than them both, he's a better defender and while not as good as Miranda on the ball he's much better than Danny. Coady will be fine in this game but i seriously think we need to look at definitely playing Hause and Boly in games against a bigger centre forward and Miranda as the sweeper.

Miranda is far better on the ball; maybe not cross field, but he's played numerous balls into Jota/Douglas's path - and is also more likely to carry the ball a bit. Batth's improved a lot, but he's not in our best three imo.

I'd definitely give Douglas a rest for this, and flip a coin between Costa and Cav.

Not sure if anyone has it but I remember seeing a gif of one of Mirandas passes with the outside of his foot really was a cracking pass, if someone could post that please it would be great. Also if you have a look at some of the pass maps you will notice Miranda higher up the pitch showing for the ball as an additional option.

I think our Danny still has a part to play this season and you could argue replacing him for a midweek game is squad rotation, you could say the same for Vinagre etc... if we have a strong squad, which we do lets bloody use it!!

Not sure Nuno will put 3 genuine CBs in though. I agree with the idea, but Nuno keeps stating how we play “our way” and don’t worry about the opposition. Might be a weakness in his thinking.

I think our Danny still has a part to play this season and you could argue replacing him for a midweek game is squad rotation, you could say the same for Vinagre etc... if we have a strong squad, which we do lets bloody use it!!

This was an error Dave Jones made in 2001/2, he just picked the same team every week even though we had plenty of options in the squad. So when we got to March/April everyone in the first XI was knackered (Cameron in particular was absolutely gone) but on the sidelines we had a bunch of players who'd barely played for months, so they were also miles off the pace.

No need to make Zenga-esque multiple pointless changes every week but we're in a busy period, let's use the players we have. There are a number here who are already unfortunate not to have featured more.

Wasn't a factor in August when Batth wasn't in the team.

Nuno's not going to give a shit about that.

It was a huge factor when Henry had it taken from him and given to Roger though.

And now Batth has got back in the team, performed well and is a big part of the team, his captaincy will be more important than it was at the start of the season when he wasn't starting.

I'm not really sure why people see Hause as being good on the ball either? What evidence is there to support that?

It was a huge factor when Henry had it taken from him and given to Roger though.

And now Batth has got back in the team, performed well and is a big part of the team, his captaincy will be more important than it was at the start of the season when he wasn't starting.

I'm not really sure why people see Hause as being good on the ball either? What evidence is there to support that?
Hugely different circumstances there though, Roger was brought in and immediately given the captains armband and as we all know he was a first class bellend. There was a divide in the squad and we fell apart. This is a very together squad including Batth, you can see they all fight for one another and there doesn't seem any resentment from the old to the new from what I see.

Danny himself has said he knows he has to fight for his place, and I do think he has improved his game but on merit Coady should have the armband.

I don't think Nuno will change that for now perhaps next season especially if we go up he might change it.

There are of course differing circumstances, but my argument was with the comment that the captain is irrelevant, your detailing of the circumstances around Henry/Johnson confirms just how important it can be. In a close knit squad that is performing well and seemingly getting on really well, i think "dropping" the captain would have more of an effect than dropping a player who isn't captain.

Watching him play over the last few years. He's no super ball play centre half but he;s comfortable on it and can drive forward as he did at City a couple times and can actually pick a pass. Plays a lovely clip into a centre forwards chest or feet rather than sailing it above there heads.

This was an error Dave Jones made in 2001/2, he just picked the same team every week even though we had plenty of options in the squad. So when we got to March/April everyone in the first XI was knackered (Cameron in particular was absolutely gone) but on the sidelines we had a bunch of players who'd barely played for months, so they were also miles off the pace.

No need to make Zenga-esque multiple pointless changes every week but we're in a busy period, let's use the players we have. There are a number here who are already unfortunate not to have featured more.
Agree entirely I think in Vinagre's case especially he is now challenging to be 1st choice LWB however Norris can't really do any more than he has to get a shot in the league even if its just the midweek game with Ruddy coming back in I can't see the harm in it.

Boly on the other hand is our first choice CB so he has to come back in now if he is fit and ready to do so, man I love that guy.

Karl Henry was/is a busy prick. Danny Batth isn’t. Not an issue whatsoever.

Back