• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Newcastle (H) 15/9: Build-Up & Match Thread

Last season we and Spurs were vthe last to concede from a corner. Something has gone badly wrong. I wonder if the success in the early part of the season was a hangover from Lop’s coaching. Similar thing happened at Everton after Moyes left, initially they remained solid at the back but over time under Martinez they started leaking goals.

That was because Martinez isn't very good at coaching a defence., whereas it is probably a chunk of the strength of Moyes as a coach.

Time will tell I guess about whether we have the same issue with GON replacing Lopetegui. Semedo Dawson Mosquera Ait-Nouri should be a decent back four, but we have a few serious issues just now.

I really want that four with Andre in front of them as the single pivot, because it opens up more from Lemina and Joao. But GON may not see it that way.

Wasn't Lopetegui pretty shit with defending set pieces? It's obviously a change this season going purely zonal and so far two teams have found it very easy to get a free man around that approach to take advantage. With a new set piece coach having started this summer it would make sense that the change is lead by then rather than legacy tactics being simply washed away.

Team news: "Everyone is OK and in a decent spot. Mario and Rayan haven't trained much and there will be late checks on them. Yerson had cramp in both calves and didn't train fully today, but there's no injury."

On Forbs: "We finally got to introduce him to the group today and he's an exciting young player. He has bundles of potential. He has good pedigree, has blistering pace and can play on both sides of the pitch."

On Johnstone: "He's a good solid guy and good for the group. He did well at Forest with a mature, calm performance. We thought it was important to improve that part of the squad, it could do with more competition."

On Sa: "Jose will be here I'm sure and fight with Sam for that spot. Two excellent goalkeepers. He has his opportunity to fight for the place, the same as any other position."

On squad: "We have much more depth and it's easier with subs. I want us to be a team that's aggressive with subs and do what's best for the team. I'm excited. I'm pleased the window is done."

On Newcastle: "I know Eddie well and he's done an excellent job. They have an abundance of quality and they will be a big test. Isak is one of the best number 9s in the league."

*sniped by DW, will post anyway*

Gaz presser:

* Everyone has come back from international duty fine, everyone has trained but couple of "late checks" needed on Mario & Rayan.
* Yerson had cramp in both calf muscles - should be good for the weekend, been given an extra day off training today
* Forbes finally been introduced to the main group today now everyone is back. Is young & has a lot of potential/good pedigree. Can play on both sides of the pitch. Had first proper glimpse of him in training today.
* Felt like the goalkeeper area needed more competition and can tell since Johnstone came in that everyone else has improved. Still rates Sa & wants him to fight for his place. Doesn't expect him to leave.
* squad has much more depth than last season - subbing players is a lot easier. Most changes now 'like for like'. Is excited and pleased the first international break is out of the way - excited by the tough challenges coming up.

I don't think you can ever say that about Sa as who the hell knows what he's going to do in any given game.

Also he let in an even worse (similar) goal at Forest last season.

I don't think you can ever say that about Sa as who the hell knows what he's going to do in any given game.

Also he let in an even worse (similar) goal at Forest last season.

The Johnstone one is way worse as he gets such a limp hand to it.

The 2 saves would've been really disappointing if they go in.

I'm sure he's a decent keeper but anyone taking the Forest performance as an example that he's an upgrade on Sá is just seeing what they want to see IMO.

It's all about personal preference and what you want from a keeper. For a long time I've not felt that the trade off between Sa's excellence and Sa's absolute fucking nonsense is worth it. But I get the opposite argument.

It's all about personal preference and what you want from a keeper. For a long time I've not felt that the trade off between Sa's excellence and Sa's absolute fucking nonsense is worth it. But I get the opposite argument.

Yeah I'm 100% on board with that. I've just seen a lot of praise for Johnstone's performance against Forest and felt it's gone a little overboard.

I didn't feel that him stroking at the ball as it flopped past him was 'mature and calm' as GON has said. The 2 saves he did make... To quote Roy Keane, "That's his job isn't it".

Oh yeah, big time. I've seen a massive immediate keeper upgrade before. Kendall to Stowell, Oakes to Murray, Ikeme to Ruddy, then Ruddy to Rui. This wasn't in the same category or even close.

I don't think you can really judge yet on one game.

We were less panicky at the back. Defending a little deeper, Dawson playing and Sa not being an adventure everytime the ball was at his feet were all factors.

Last edited:
Back