• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Newcastle (H) 15/9: Build-Up & Match Thread

I think an issue for him in the immediate term is he needs WINS, not the odd point here and there. We can't hit November and be on 0 wins. If we are then I don't think he's the Wolves manager any more.

I think he'll get a few wins but I don't think it'll be pretty. This is definitely one we should be targeting, Newcastle have a few special players but I don't think they're drastically better than us.

More that I think he has his finger on the pulse of what the top coaches are doing but perhaps wouldn't be able to come up with something new in the way that De Zerbi did at Sassuolo & Brighton or Motta at Bologna. He's probably very interesting to listen to when he talks about tactics, what he still has to prove as a young manager is whether he can implement those ideas at the top level. I have my doubts but I'm also willing to give him time given how tumultuous last season was off the pitch.
Souness is a very interesting listen and his tactical and technical knowledge, at the time I listened to him, was only second to Ancelotti.

He just couldn't implement any of it.

I don't mind GoN, he's clearly an intelligent man who knows and loves football I'm just not sure he isn't just a very good coach/ assistant manager.

Souness is a very interesting listen and his tactical and technical knowledge, at the time I listened to him, was only second to Ancelotti.
Souness was very good at Blackburn for the most part. Didn't have the temperament for Liverpool or Newcastle and got out at the right time, nailing your own players in training was outdated in 2006 let alone now.

I do have concerns with Gaz in that he hasn't stopped the lose ball -> we are in perpetual danger immediately cycle. The Chelsea and Forest games were fucking chaos. I don't like chaos.

He is a nice bloke, when it comes together it looks decent (I mean even the Chelsea game, the attacking play in the first half was superb and we should have had another couple of goals easily), but results are the lifeblood and we aren't getting them.

He just couldn't implement any of it.

I don't mind GoN, he's clearly an intelligent man who knows and loves football I'm just not sure he isn't just a very good coach/ assistant manager.

I don't think anyone can be sure either way given how new to it he is and the state of both the clubs he's managed so far.

I think the biggest thing for me is that he needs to prove that he can effectively set up a defensive structure in a way that means we're not pretty much guaranteed to concede huge chances EVERY game.

I don't see Andre starting quite yet. He flew in and signed on the Friday, we had a match on the Saturday, then on Monday he was flying back off to Brazil for internationals. I doubt he's even moved into his accommodation properly or trained with the team yet. So I think he'll try and ease him in a bit more off the bench and stick with the 4-2-3-1 we played against Forest.

I don't see Andre starting quite yet. He flew in and signed on the Friday, we had a match on the Saturday, then on Monday he was flying back off to Brazil for internationals. I doubt he's even moved into his accommodation properly or trained with the team yet. So I think he'll try and ease him in a bit more off the bench and stick with the 4-2-3-1 we played against Forest.
Fuck it, we need to protect that defense, gerrimin.

I like Deutsch's team too, except I'd drop RAN to the bench and play Toti at LB.

You’d hope that a Brazil international footballer can get his head straight enough, even under difficult circumstances, to perform for 90 minutes.

You’d hope that a Brazil international footballer can get his head straight enough, even under difficult circumstances, to perform for 90 minutes.
If we were that bothered about him settling in then he wouldn't have played against Forest, less than 24 hours after he was announced.

Hobbs also said when he signed that he might take a while to settle, similar to how João Gomes took a few months to earn a starting spot.

Hobbs also said when he signed that he might take a while to settle, similar to how João Gomes took a few months to earn a starting spot.
Joao Gomes had Ruben Neves, Joao Moutinho and Mario Lemina to compete with in fairness.

We don't have a while, we need to win some games like now. If André is as good as the reports say then we need to pick him.

Souness was very good at Blackburn for the most part. Didn't have the temperament for Liverpool or Newcastle and got out at the right time, nailing your own players in training was outdated in 2006 let alone now.

I do have concerns with Gaz in that he hasn't stopped the lose ball -> we are in perpetual danger immediately cycle. The Chelsea and Forest games were fucking chaos. I don't like chaos.

He is a nice bloke, when it comes together it looks decent (I mean even the Chelsea game, the attacking play in the first half was superb and we should have had another couple of goals easily), but results are the lifeblood and we aren't getting them.
At least some of this is down to Gomes.

At least some of this is down to Gomes.
He can be a bit loose on the ball. But it's more having our full backs charge into a massively high press and leaving 60 yards behind them (I am assuming O'Neil told Doherty to do that vs Chelsea rather than Beardo just making his own mind up), playing a ridiculous high line (less so vs Forest) and having the central midfielders endlessly firefight rather than holding position. That's all tactical and we've always been that way under Gaz.

Yep. DW’s team is without doubt our strongest, but I don’t see Andre starting (he’ll have had no time on the training pitch at all)

My first match at Molineux this season (the first of the targeted 3-4 per season) and so far I've been fairly lucky with the Molineux trips since the last loss was vs Man City roughly two years ago. Yes I was also there a year ago vs City and I think this one will end 2-1 as well.
My next match will be Southampton. Obviously I watch all other matches on the telly. FYI Viaplay is showing every PL match and a few matches from Championship and the lower divisions (Harrogate - Doncaster today :LOL:).
Any information on Lemina's injury?

Harrogate V Doncaster is Thursday so you'll have to contain your excitement for another couple of days.

Enjoy the game on Sunday

It would be nice if we didn't concede a goal from a set piece on Sunday btw. Getting a bit ridiculous now. If you start adding a weakness at defending set pieces to a team that can't stop counter attacks and shooting itself in the foot then you've got a recipe for disaster.

It would be nice if we didn't concede a goal from a set piece on Sunday btw. Getting a bit ridiculous now. If you start adding a weakness at defending set pieces to a team that can't stop counter attacks and shooting itself in the foot then you've got a recipe for disaster.
You have to wonder what our new set piece coach has been teaching them…

You have to wonder what our new set piece coach has been teaching them…
That thought struck me as well . The two goals conceded early on versus Chelsea and Forest were dreadful - players left completely unmarked , allowed to pick their spot .
Set piece coaches are not just about the attacking aspect at set pieces , it's the defending of them as well .

Back