• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Newcastle 1 - 2 Wolves: The Verdict.

Sighed when I saw the team. I felt that Traore and Costa would be ineffective and that the ball would just keep bouncing back. Costas pass for the goal was about it for his positive contribution, Traore wasn't holding it up at all. Jota took his goal well and looked a threat all game. Much better when the changes were made. Correct red for me. I would need to see Boly elbow again. It didn't look much first glance but who knows.

Mike Dean still thinks every game is all about him. Fine for failing to control players as we got 5 cards?

Honourable mention for Bear's favourite Joselu. Utterly terrible player, was only on for 10 mins and must have lost the ball at least 5 times.

Delighted for Jota today - I thought he was excellent and by far & away our best player. Also delighted with the result. However, I won't stick my head in the sand (like others) and allow the last minute winner to paper over the cracks. I hope Nuno has learnt his lesson today and bins off the Traore experiment as soon as possible. He got the line up wrong today and it was only when he reverted back to the formation that served us so well against Chelsea and made the changes that we actually looked like winning the game.

Although I think Rafa has gone OTT with his reaction after the match, Newcastle can feel very hard done by this evening (Boly may face some retrospective action for his elbow).

I'm concerned about the form of Neves and Costa (who was anonymous after his assist).

All that said, well done to the lads for digging deep and getting a winner. Despite our horrific November, we're still only 4 points off the Europa League places :icon_lol:

I'd hardly call being happy with how well our newly-promoted side have done 'sticking your head in the sand'. It's called having a sense of perspective. Where do you expect us to be, top 4?

It's a shame because you've made some good points in this post. The reactionary bollocks doesn't suit it.

Delighted with the result but for much of the match thought our passing was way off...from everyone, Neves as bad as anybody, we constantly turned the ball over to Newcastle without them having to do too much. Maybe its just me but thought our defensive headers were terrible, not enough distance usually and always seemed to fall to a Newcastle player in acres of space even when they were down to 10.
However, thought the goals were top quality, crisp passing out of our half. First one excellent wing play by Costa and superb first touch by Jota. Second one a classic on the break, Jota doing what he does best(not often enough so far this season) running at defenders in the box, a good shot and Doc busting a gut with terrific support play.
Red card all day long, no way the other defender is getting close. The Boiy elbow accidental for me.....although maybe ref should have stopped play for a head injury, makes me smile that the 5 minutes rolling around contributes to the extra time in which we score

Ecstatic about the result. Really bouncing. Hopefully no action against Boly but we have to wait and see.

I'd hardly call being happy with how well our newly-promoted side have done 'sticking your head in the sand'. It's called having a sense of perspective. Where do you expect us to be, top 4?

It's a shame because you've made some good points in this post. The reactionary bollocks doesn't suit it.

It's ok to enjoy the victory but to also have a point of view that highlights some of our shortcomings. It's all good.

Ecstatic about the result. Really bouncing. Hopefully no action against Boly but we have to wait and see.

I would be surprised if anything happens. Normally that happens if the ref hasn't seen the incident but he did so that should put that to bed

Thought a draw would be fair. We always seemed uncomfortable with those high crosses again and our attacks broke down too often with poor final balls. Red card was clear as day and no chance VAR would have reversed it. The Boly incident could well have been a penalty (but not a sending off) with VAR though even though it was accidental.
Great to get a bit of luck and the table is looking good.

With the Boly 3 game ban coming and Bennett and Coady on 4. We could be in a little bit of Sticky spot. When’s the cut off for 5 yellows?

You think Mike Dean is going to say "I was looking right at it, didn't give a foul and I'd like to say that I was wrong and made a mistake"... No, me neither

Apparently the ref thought it was the ball that hit Perez!

Boly was looking directly at the ball, jumped to head it and used his arms to jump. Absolutely no deliberate intent.

Boly was looking directly at the ball, jumped to head it and used his arms to jump. Absolutely no deliberate intent.

Thats the decider for me. if Boly had looked to see where Perez was then it becomes intent. He didn't and it was just unfortunate. One of those that when it goes against you, you are fuming though.

Although it gives Rafa a reason to cover up yet another home defeat

Honourable mention for Bear's favourite Joselu. Utterly terrible player, was only on for 10 mins and must have lost the ball at least 5 times.
Lol yes he was awful. Traore at his worst levels of shite.

Whilst I agree, he does swing his arm more than seems natural. Still accidental but looks worse because of that.

Leicester, Brighton, Spurs and Arsenal we didn’t get what we deserved so about time we got some good fortune.

MATCH FACTS #NUFC have never lost in 6 previous #PL matches against Wolves.

Benitez has not lost any of his 22 home #PL matches against a promoted club.

Wolves are yet to score more than once in an away league fixture this season.#bbcfootball

----------------------------------------------

Where's Cyber when you need him? :)

You think Mike Dean is going to say "I was looking right at it, didn't give a foul and I'd like to say that I was wrong and made a mistake"... No, me neither

Touché!

It is bad though. There’s lifting your arms and then there’s swinging them aggressively. I’m not saying it’s deliberate attempt to do him. But it’s clumsy and Dean has said he thought it was the ball, therefore might change his mind.

A draw would have been a fair result but a last minute winner is always a beautiful thing. Loved it.

Nuno got his starting line up wrong and the double substitution when they went down to 10 didn't make it much better. Only when Moutinho came on did I feel we could steal a winner.

Jota was quality again today and the way he made the winner was a brilliant bit of play. I love him and I'm so pleased he seems to be finally hitting some form.

I didnt see the elbow by Boly but the red card was absolutely the right decision. I didn't think the challenge for the free kick that led to their goal was a foul but I'd have to see it again.

Back