• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

New Manager Search *BACK ON*

Status
Not open for further replies.
That culture wouldn't work in a worldwide game like football.

I've been watching us for 34 years, not once in that time have I thought "Wolves could be the best team in England". You know that's the deal. It's not the point.
I think that sucks tbqh :)

It's a bugbear of mine but not a crusade I intend to lead. At the end of the day I want to see the club be successful, trophies or no.

The culture of the thing. I like parity in my sports. I love underdog stories like Leicester very much, but I abhor the fact that we probably won't see anything like that again in my lifetime.

There's no solutioning it, it's part and parcel of the way the pyramids are structured and the sheer number of clubs. But it does really, really suck that there's basically zero reasonable hope that a club like Wolves really challenges for a title. Ever.

Tl,dr; It's a bit shit that Wolves have less chance of winning the Prem than the Detroit Lions do of winning a Super Bowl in my life.
That's not true Alan.

We've actually won titles in the past.

That's not true Alan.

We've actually won titles in the past.
Fair, but surely you agree that football is operating at a different scale financially than it once did.

Heh, maybe the British cynicism is rubbing off on me. Like I needed to be any more cynical.

At any rate, I don't mean to hijack the thread. Just one of my many, many inconsequential soapboxes.

I think that sucks tbqh :)

It's a bugbear of mine but not a crusade I intend to lead. At the end of the day I want to see the club be successful, trophies or no.

I agree it's shit that the playing field isn't level but it's just the way it will always be because of the global nature of the game.

Fair, but surely you agree that football is operating at a different scale financially than it once did.

Heh, maybe the British cynicism is rubbing off on me. Like I needed to be any more cynical.

At any rate, I don't mean to hijack the thread. Just one of my many, many inconsequential soapboxes.
I would rather we had a financial system like the NBA or MLB but the turkeys aren't voting for Xmas just yet.

I would rather we had a financial system like the NBA or MLB but the turkeys aren't voting for Xmas just yet.
Just not going to happen, is it. How would you co-ordinate it across the entire world.

Easier when basically all the elite action happens in one country and one country only. NBA vs any other basketball league is like the Premier League vs genuine parks football in terms of finances/quality/exposure. No American player is ever going to leave the Chicago Bulls and play for a German team, for instance.

Aye, and as Dan + others have rightfully said, it'll never happen, just the same as the financial incentives mean promotion/relegation will never come to the US.

That culture wouldn't work in a worldwide game like football.

I've been watching us for 34 years, not once in that time have I thought "Wolves could be the best team in England". You know that's the deal. It's not the point.
Playing devils advocate, we would probably have said that about Man City not that very long ago.
But it would need a miracle to replicate that I know.
Regarding Beale, with any sport (or most professions come to that) surely if youve got anything about you, you want to test yourself at the highest level you can?
Can't see anything wrong if he wants to try his hand in the EPL with us over QPR personally.

This management situation is really starting to piss me off now.

Lage should have gone at the end of last season, but we kept him. We then should have done it after the City game and before the international break. Again, we hung on and decided to sack him one game after the break when we are into a run of games where we had to get points.

We are now in the position of having 7 games between sacking Lage and the World Cup, and we are giving Davis/Collins over half of those games. (I'm assuming they'll be in charge again Sunday) Nothing against those guys, but they aren't Premier League managers, and the management of the second half last night showed that.

I'm not sure why Shi thinks we can just tank some Premier League games, and it'll be fine. It absolutely won't. We needed a manager over a week ago, we absolutely need one in now.

Yes we do need a Manager now - that goes without saying .

However , just a small point on Brighton who some people have pointed out as an example on how quickly and efficiently they went about their business of appointing a replacement to Potter .
They have played 4 matches since the appointment of Zebri , there are 2 defeats and one draw in that list , including a home 0 - 0 draw to Forest last night . If we had drawn with Forest this place would have gone into meltdown .
The club are taking their time in our case - sometimes that is the correct thing to do , even if the team clearly needs proper direction .

Yes we do need a Manager now - that goes without saying .

However , just a small point on Brighton who some people have pointed out as an example on how quickly and efficiently they went about their business of appointing a replacement to Potter .
They have played 4 matches since the appointment of Zebri , there are 2 defeats and one draw in that list , including a home 0 - 0 draw to Forest last night . If we had drawn with Forest this place would have gone into meltdown .
The club are taking their time in our case - sometimes that is the correct thing to do , even if the team clearly needs proper direction .
I was saying this to my lad last night, although it's 2 draws and 2 losses isn't it? Tbf watching their game before ours started, Brighton looked a more cohesive unit than us, they've had a problem scoring longer than us.

The club are taking their time in our case - sometimes that is the correct thing to do

Correction: the club have taken their time twice.

They monomaniacally chased a work-frazzled and emotionally-distracted Lopetegui, then when that reached it's almost inevitable conclusion, started a second glacial process.

Three weeks ago this weekend.

Correction: the club have taken their time twice.

They monomaniacally chased a work-frazzled and emotionally-distracted Lopetegui, then when that reached it's almost inevitable conclusion, started a second glacial process.

Three weeks ago this weekend
After wasting a fortnight's International Break to wait for the inevitable defeat at West Ham

Comparing us to Brighton and Bournemouth's managerial searches is missing the point anyway. They're both punching above their weight as it is, we're highly dysfunctional, in real danger of a relegation scrap and desperate for leadership and direction

I'll get in first to make the point that they've been wasting time since last May. Look at the state of us now, completely avoidable with basic Board leadership at the start of the summer.
Well yes you go far back far enough and you get to they should never have bloody appointed him in the first place. I guess my point re the Int Break is by then to most of us it was an inevitability, a question of when not if.

It’s like a new name every day. Surely by now they should have identified the quantities they want in a manager and then looked who has those qualities and made a move.

I actually think the names are now just a smokescreen for Davis staying up until the WC when a new manager will be appointed. Said manager has almost certainly already agreed terms.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back