• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

New Manager Search *BACK ON*

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd rather have Brendan Rodgers over someone like Bosz. He can still coach attacking football but isn't defensively naive.
I have a hunch Rodgers star is falling. It'll be interesting to see what happens with him next.

Problem with Brendan is that it always implodes around him horrendously after a couple of (usually) brilliant seasons. And I don't trust our current executives to swing the axe when necessary.

Well, what is he going to say, really?

"Yeah, I mean Wolves are a much bigger club so I'm certainly interested".

I'd give him the sack myself were I a QPR fan and he came out with something like that tbh.

I know the NBA better than the PL or European leagues. The top players more or less call the shots- ever since Wilt Chamberlain. This summer Kevin Durant supposedly asked for a new coach and GM or to be traded, but the Nets ignored him and couldn't find enough value in a trade. The owner did not "stand up to him", in my view. If they start out poorly they will fire Steve Nash and keep Durant.

The only reason he was hired two seasons ago with zero experience is that it was understood he would never be a domineering head coach and would let the stars run the show. The successful experienced coaches usually operate that way anyway- Phil Jackson, Lenny Wilkens, Pat Riley, Steve Kerr, even player-coach Bill Russell back in the day. (The exceptions are Popovic and Doc Rivers- who are more visibly engaged- Pop is beloved by his star players). Durant, 33, Kyrie, 30 (a mess off the court) and Ben Simmons, 25 need very little coaching as to tactics anyway.

I don't follow the Wolves day-to-day or off the field, but when they landed Podence I was excited...then disappointed. I understand why a team would be cagey about injuries...but I just could not fathom why Traore and Podence never played together- or why Traore never played. (I read some stuff about weak midfield...etc.)

The received "wisdom" used to be that Michael Jordan could not be in the same backcourt Clyde Drexler ("only one ball", same skill set...); that Tim Duncan was too big to play with David Robinson (different skill sets, but both natural centers); that you need a strong coach willing to bench the superstar... These notions were proved ridiculous.

Messi and Neymar don't play much defense- nor does Luis Suarez. That's a different level, of course, but if they struggled at Barcelona the coach was out the door. When Lionel rejoined him at PSG they struggled despite all the experience.

So this year they got a new coach. I'm certain one would never bench either of those two unless they asked to sit. If the team were smart they would have consulted the stars before hiring- even though by now it appears that the job would be to fix the defense and leave them alone.

Adama is 26 and again seems on the verge of a breakthrough. I can't help believing that if he had played more minutes his finishing touches would now be more polished, and if with Podence, the offense more dynamic. The dash to the goal line and cross is still a great option but it needs something: either more drilling or more variation.

I would choose a coach who can work with and support these guys- everything else is secondary. For one thing, the coach should be screaming and jumping around like Pep or Klopp whenever Traore gets mangled on a breakout run. Seems to happen several times over 90 minutes...

Well, what is he going to say, really?

"Yeah, I mean Wolves are a much bigger club so I'm certainly interested".

I'd give him the sack myself were I a QPR fan and he came out with something like that tbh.
Christ Alan, what would he have to do to not be sacked...?

Well apparently he's asked to be referred to as Mick. But when I've followed his coaching career up to now, I'd never seen him called that once!

Christ Alan, what would he have to do to not be sacked...?
I mean it would be one thing to do it after he's left QPR, but to do it while you're still in the post... That would rile me right up.

Think of the message that sends to the players. "Yeah, coaching you is great and all, but I'd really rather be somewhere else". Eugh.

I mean it would be one thing to do it after he's left QPR, but to do it while you're still in the post... That would rile me right up.

Think of the message that sends to the players. "Yeah, coaching you is great and all, but I'd really rather be somewhere else". Eugh.

Doesn't need to be said as it's taken for granted that he'd want to move to a bigger club.

Ben Jacobs
@JacobsBen
Peter Bosz is in contention for the Wolves job. QPR’s Michael Beale under active consideration. A Nuno Espírito Santo return has been hotly debated internally, too. After failing to persuade Julen Lopetegui (top choice), told Wolves hope to make an appointment by the end of week.

Ben Jacobs
@JacobsBen
Club have also discussed ex-Monaco manager Leonardo Jardim and already interviewed Rob Edwards. Sean Dyche not in the mix.

The ambitious bastard
I just don't like how crystallized the "big club vs small club" thing is. It sucks that a lot of clubs have a ceiling (or perceived ceiling), way, way below doing anything meaningful in the Prem.

I just don't like how crystallized the "big club vs small club" thing is. It sucks that a lot of clubs have a ceiling (or perceived ceiling), way, way below doing anything meaningful in the Prem.
Wolves are a miles bigger club than QPR.

I didn't say we weren't.

The culture of the thing. I like parity in my sports. I love underdog stories like Leicester very much, but I abhor the fact that we probably won't see anything like that again in my lifetime.

There's no solutioning it, it's part and parcel of the way the pyramids are structured and the sheer number of clubs. But it does really, really suck that there's basically zero reasonable hope that a club like Wolves really challenges for a title. Ever.

Tl,dr; It's a bit shit that Wolves have less chance of winning the Prem than the Detroit Lions do of winning a Super Bowl in my life.

Last edited:
That culture wouldn't work in a worldwide game like football.

I've been watching us for 34 years, not once in that time have I thought "Wolves could be the best team in England". You know that's the deal. It's not the point.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back