• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Missing Kilman hugely

Shotbybothsides

Reaction score
The failure to replace one of our key centre backs has led to the worst defensive display I have ever witnessed yesterday.

This failure on behalf of the club is indefensible. It's amateurish at best, and should lead to immediate sackings. Of course, I know that will not happen, but it is tantamount to a dereliction of duty.

It will cost us, it will cost the manager his job (not that he has helped himself mind).

"Trust us" they said :)-.

The depth is the issue. The downgrade of last seasons Sa to Johnstone is a bigger downgrade than Kilman to any of the other CBs we have, as far as I am concerned.

The issue for me, is whilst I was happy with Mosquera given the way he had seemingly developed, I still expected some kind of CB addition. Ideally a ready made one. Dawson has started to miss time and shouldnt be expected to compete at this level without resting. It's poor data analytics and squad planning more than just the loss of Kilman.

Fucking shit is probably a tad OTT.
He wouldn't have made a difference this season but then again we spent 2 weeks trying to sign Dara O'Shea so even trying to get an upgrade on Max was impossible for us.

Needed a South American with a potential sell on profit to ensure we spent money in that area.

Oh what we'd give now for all those clean sheets we got last season with Kilman in the side, whilst also playing an extra centre half to the detriment of our attacking play.

As for Johnstone v Sa, he was poor last year and shite this. We'd be no better off if he was playing.

We aren't missing either hugely, we are missing a good Premier League player in both of the positions they used to play.

We are missing -

a competent manager
a playing system that doesn't come from the Oklahoma City Thunder play book
Willy Boly
Joao Moutinho
Ruben Neves
Pedro Neto
Jonny Castro Otto
Etc etc etc
I would say Rui as well but I think he was done when he left. Probably still better than either of our shite options between the sticks.

I don't think we can keep harping back too much to Nuno and all the players from 5/6 years ago; that's a long time in football, and a good PL team will refresh and evolve over that time with new personnel among playing and coaching staff

I don't think we can keep harping back too much to Nuno and all the players from 5/6 years ago; that's a long time in football, and a good PL team will refresh and evolve over that time with new personnel among playing and coaching staff
Really what you are saying is once we ran out of quality Mendes second tier players we've been clueless.

Kilman was fucking shit. We miss him purely because anybody vaguely competent could have replaced the useless twat. But the higher echelons are about as close to competent as I am to a tryst with Kate Winslett so here we are.
If Kilman was fucking shit, what we have now is fucking fucking fucking really really really shit Paddington :)-.

I accept he had his weaknesses, certainly in terms of captaincy, but he was head and shoulders above the level any of our centre backs are capable of, including Mosquera, in my opinion.

Not helped by non-existent goalkeeping in Johnstone, who has really been poor in terms of his shot stopping capability, compared to Sa.

Anyway, Kilman just epitomises the total absence of strategy from the management team in appreciating the importance of key positions. and their last-minute uncoordinated thinking about strengthening the team and giving it balance.

We concede a lot of goals through passive defensive play, no one taking responsibility, leaving opponents in far too much space and being caught in transitions.

Max Kilman seems unlikely to fix any of that because they're all his weak points, as well as turning like a skip.

Which of those goals yesterday do you think he would have prevented? Because he wasn't doing it before and he isn't doing it for West Ham either.

Last edited:
If Kilman was fucking shit, what we have now is fucking fucking fucking really really really shit Paddington :)-.

I accept he had his weaknesses, certainly in terms of captaincy, but he was head and shoulders above the level any of our centre backs are capable of, including Mosquera, in my opinion.

Not helped by non-existent goalkeeping in Johnstone, who has really been poor in terms of his shot stopping capability, compared to Sa.

Anyway, Kilman just epitomises the total absence of strategy from the management team in appreciating the importance of key positions. and their last-minute uncoordinated thinking about strengthening the team and giving it balance.
Well you clearly didn't read the rest of the post that laid the blame at REPLACING him.

Kilman is better than Toti, that doesn't make Kilman good. If you take Dawson out due to age and availability issues at the end of last season then he was our best centre half, but that speaks more about the others than it does about him.

Two different arguments for me, selling him, particularly for £40m was absolutely the correct thing to do. Spending that money on 3 kids who the manager doesn't feel are first team ready / injured, a centre midfielder we didn't need and a keeper who isn't any better than the one we already had, whilst not addressing that position is rank incompetence, but what I've come to expect.

Really what you are saying is once we ran out of quality Mendes second tier players we've been clueless.
Yep, Sellars, Hobbs and others are struggling.

Doesn't help we have Peak6 involved either. A millstone around several clubs by all accounts.

Spending that money on 3 kids who the manager doesn't feel are first team ready / injured, a centre midfielder we didn't need and a keeper who isn't any better than the one we already had, whilst not addressing that position is rank incompetence, but what I've come to expect.

And we know that all those transfer decisions weren't made for the right reasons either

65 goals against last season with Kilman in the side, so no we don’t miss Kilman.
We miss pressing as a collective unit and being organised out of possession and having no way of dealing with defensive set pieces.

The goals conceded last season with him is because we have a manager who hasn’t got a clue what he was doing. Lop had him/them looking solid

Back