• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Man Utd FA Cup Thread

I see on twitter the M6 is closed J16 to J14 tomorrow night too. So no trains and now no motorway too..

It's a pain for sure, but at least there's a simple enough route around it. Weight of traffic around Stoke is going to be a nightmare, though.

we know ruddy will start.
very strong chance the back 3 will be bennett, coady, kilman.
Vinagre will start, so the other wing back will be one of two.
Suspect CM will be Saiss and Neves. Moutinho & Donck on the bench.
Up front, Neto is certain. BAS may start if he's recovered from illness with Raul on the bench.
It also depends on how ready MGW is. He might be ready to play a half, or the last 20 mins.

If we go strong we stand a chance as they have Liverpool and their cup second leg as their next fixtures. If not we can kiss this one goodbye and think about what could have been if we had done the job at home.

It's a pain for sure, but at least there's a simple enough route around it. Weight of traffic around Stoke is going to be a nightmare, though.

Only for the return journey isn't it and should be quiet by then?

Shouldn't be too bad but it'll back up a little for sure.

Only for the return journey isn't it and should be quiet by then?

When we played Man City in the League Cup they were doing Roadworks J16-19, so still open but down to 1 lane. I got home at nearly 4am and that was after managing to escape the traffic building on the bypass leading to the M6 in Manchester and go through the villages and town until back near Stoke. Fookin nightmare journey

Tranmere v Watford postponed, as Watford play in the league next week there's no chance if we do go through that our 4th round game will be played on time.

With the 5th round planned for mid week (due to winter break) this season if we do progress its going to feel a lot more like a league cup run.

If we go through it looks like the only way to ease the fixture congestion will be to forego part of our winter break. Just what we need after playing 13 more fixtures than everyone else.

I wonder if the winter break will lead to lethargy anyway?

It'd have been far better to forego the game between Boxing Day and NYD and not have this break.

Potentially I suppose. We’ll just have to see I guess, assuming we manage to win tomorrow. The conversation may be irrelevant by 10pm and we could be looking at two breaks and also a guaranteed extra mid week off.

Rearranged for Thursday 23rd. So a mad rush to sell tickets for a game 3 days later

Watford will be doing a Liverpool in the replay

Watford have actually got a squad so can rotate pretty easily. Imagine they’ll still win unless Pearson literally tells them to lose.

Watford have actually got a squad so can rotate pretty easily. Imagine they’ll still win unless Pearson literally tells them to lose.
Playing the Tuesday before so it's going to be 11 changes. They win and they will have something like 4 games over 9 days.

Watford will be playing Villa (huge game) on 21st, Tranmere 23rd, potentially United or ourselves 26th, and then Everton 1st February. They will be putting out the kids against Tranmere. Pearson made it clear he was going to tonight already.

Playing the Tuesday before so it's going to be 11 changes. They win and they will have something like 4 games over 9 days.

Well everyone else is playing Sat/sun, midweek, poss sat/sun. They lose they’ll have loads of unnecessary rest, win they’ll have a normal schedule like everyone else just an extra game in between which they’ll rotate for anyway.

They’ve not got a free week between 2 big PL games this week and then can easily go full strength again if they get past tranmere. They have a first team squad bigger than 13 players (like most sides) so can rotate and still win.

Pearson has repeatedly said that he gives less than a tenth of a fuck about the competition.

I wonder if the winter break will lead to lethargy anyway?

It'd have been far better to forego the game between Boxing Day and NYD and not have this break.

No no and no

Do you realise how busy bars are boxing day new years day and every other match over the xmas break

No no and no

Do you realise how busy bars are boxing day new years day and every other match over the xmas break

What a parochial view - as long as your bar is busy who gives a stuff about player welfare!

Despite the negativity about the cup in general and this reply in particular, I'm still going and looking forward to it. I've seen enough of us playing poor teams in poor grounds in poor competitions for the last 45 odd years, so I don't lose too much sleep about watching us play Manchester United at Old Trafford in the FA Cup.

However, I reserve the right to moan incessantly afterwards if we lose to a debatable VAR goal, see both teams reserves, get wet and cold, take ages to get home and remember the ticket alone cost me £47

Back