• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Live Match Discussion 2017/18

:icon_lol:

Our stupid players not realising that they should have been running beyond the advertising hoardings.

Yes as Wiedwald has been predictably $#@!e.

Can't see how he kept Green out. Green had his best season for 5 years last year and I never really rated him so consider that praise. Lonners fucked me over last year. I had decent hopes that were sadly misplaced. My support of Ruddy and Norris has so far, been justified lol! Leeds have caved over the last few weeks but should still end up top 6.

Christensen will be gone soon. They've got no game plan and have relied on magic from Saiz who does look excellent.

He's got a bit of a James McAvoy look, so he's got that going for him

Really like the way Sheffield Utd play, Brooks will go to a bigger club soonish

Nothing happening in the early game, both look pretty solid at the back and toothless going forward

England U17s tucked up with a awful offside decision not given

Superb comeback from England now 4-2 up after being 2-0 down and have played some good stuff.

The talent is clearly there. There's no excuse for how pitiful our senior team is. Nothing will change though whilst the Premier League stays the same. Hopefully more of them follow Sancho abroad if they don't feel they're getting the opportunities.

5-2! Foden is an absurd talent.

That touch from Foden to open it up for the fifth is superb. Doesn't look much but that's what Michael Owen used to do when he was at his peak.

MGW looked very much at home in a very good team.

Loved that ball over the top to him too for the 5th. Hudson-Odoi looked excellent.

The talent is clearly there. There's no excuse for how pitiful our senior team is. Nothing will change though whilst the Premier League stays the same. Hopefully more of them follow Sancho abroad if they don't feel they're getting the opportunities.

5-2! Foden is an absurd talent.

I think we definitely need more players (and coaches) finding work abroad at the top level.

There is so much raw talent in the youngsters in this country, but sadly most of them will not get near the first team at their respective clubs. And that is the big problem.

There is so much raw talent in the youngsters in this country, but sadly most of them will not get near the first team at their respective clubs. And that is the big problem.
This isn't meant as a dig Frank, but one thing Brexit could bring is the ability to introduce whatever home grown player rule we choose should we want to.

What I don't understand is why so few British players go overseas to find playing time. They could surely develop themselves in the Eredivisie, Ligue 1, Liga NOS, etc.

What I don't understand is why so few British players go overseas to find playing time. They could surely develop themselves in the Eredivisie, Ligue 1, Liga NOS, etc.
Money is probably a big thing, Chelsea probably throw more money at some 18 year old gambles than most Eredivisie clubs can pay their star players. It's the safe option to stay close to home, not worry about a different language or culture and even if it doesn't work out you've got a hell of a financial boost to start the rest of your life.

Money is probably a big thing, Chelsea probably throw more money at some 18 year old gambles than most Eredivisie clubs can pay their star players. It's the safe option to stay close to home, not worry about a different language or culture and even if it doesn't work out you've got a hell of a financial boost to start the rest of your life.

That's true, and I have a hard time faulting anyone for taking the most money offered to them. Still, you'd think that most in England would by now have realized that moving to a "big" Prem club at a young age is just not a good idea if they want to play.

Ryan Gauld may not yet be a success story but he had the right idea going to Sporting Lisbon. Ditto Barry Douglas in Turkey.

That's true, and I have a hard time faulting anyone for taking the most money offered to them. Still, you'd think that most in England would by now have realized that moving to a "big" Prem club at a young age is just not a good idea if they want to play.

Ryan Gauld may not yet be a success story but he had the right idea going to Sporting Lisbon. Ditto Barry Douglas in Turkey.

The problem with that is a lot of the kids are picked up at very early ages. Pretty sure the commentary said our last substitute has been with Chelsea since he was 6 years old. If you get a chance to learn from top coaches at such an early age, parents are hardly gonna tell them to sod off, we're gonna have our kid play for the local community kids team instead.

It's not just British kids though is it? Look at Odegaard, he was conquering all in front of him at 15 but honestly haven't heard anything for a couple of years. He chose the bright lights of Real when in all reality he wouldn't be anywhere near their first team for a few years at least.

Perhaps it's just a greed thing, maybe kids these days are only interested if they'll be at the top, so if that chance comes at 18 then they jump at it regardless of how difficult the progression may be. Many end up falling out of the game, some drop to lower leagues and eventually work their way back up but any that have been at a big club in their late teens will get a decent pay cheque to start the next chapter of their life.

I think it's the one massive advantage for the B team system that other countries use, they can give these kids competitive games sort of in house whilst monitoring their development. The ones that are good enough will eventually drip through to the first team and the others that fall away at least have the advantage of competitive experience to impress other clubs.

Back